What is This Wood?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vtgaryw

OK, I usually try not to post these, but..

Yesterday, I was doing a pen turning demo at my local Artist's Guild as part of a statewide Open Studios event. I had a blast. At the end of the day, a fellow from the local community I didn't know stopped by and told me he was a bowl turner and that he had an interesting piece of wood he couldn't use. He went home and brought it to me just as I was cleaning up. What a great community turners are!

Anyways, he said he rescued it from his firewood pile. This is northwestern Vermont, he was thinking maybe red elm? It's a very heavy dense piece. Very dry, no odor. Couldn't find a similar picture in any of the wood databases.

Attachments

• IMG_5502.JPEG
    IMG_5502.JPEG
    173.7 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_5504.JPEG
    IMG_5504.JPEG
    157.9 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_5505.JPEG
    IMG_5505.JPEG
    224.1 KB · Views: 258

1080Wayne

Think you will have to sand down a piece of end grain and look at it under 8-10 power magnification to be sure . Red elm (slippery elm) has earlywood that is 2-6 pores wide , American elm has 1 row of large earlywood pores , winged elm an intermittent row of very small pores . All three have the characteristic elm latewood pores in wavy bands . The heartwood of red elm may fluoresce dim yellow green .

All of this taken from `Identifying wood` by R Bruce Hoadley .

Dehn0045

I was thinking elm before reading your description or Wayne's post. Now naming the specific elm might be a little trickier.

Top Bottom