What ever happened to fire pistons?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Brewmeister35

Brewmeister35

Last year, they came out in full force and were offered in kits. I haven't seen anything since then and today a good customer of mine noticed them on a website. I'm curious how the kits turned out and how well they worked. And of course if anyone still has any kits.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Caveat emptor! I bought a "kit" here-the cheaper one, and was totally useless as delivered-the aluminum rod had been snipped as opposed to cut with a cutoff wheel and it resulted in the end being flared. Gave them to a friend to have them fixed on his metal lathe.

smitty

I had a kit for sale early last year only sold a few. I think the price was more than most wanted to spend everyone went for the cheap kit. I still sell a few completed ones now and then only because it is a novelty item.

I did have picture but they were on the old IAP site.

W3DRM

Skye

Someone here posted one a month ago or so.

The only problem with them is that it takes very high tolerance and they take a lot of practice and technique on the user's end. If the customer doesn't understand that and thinks all it takes is throwing some wood in it, smacking it and fire comes blasting out, they're gonna be unhappy.

Chasper

I've been making and trying to sell fire pistons for a few years, the sources that Don provided are excellent. A kit is not needed IMHO. No metal parts required, you might want to purchase some quality tender, but there are no parts that you cannot make on a lathe and drill press.

The thing about fire pistons is that they are extremely sensitive. I've never made one that worked more than 20% of the time. If you make one for someone they will bring it back and tell you it doesn't work, guranteed. They take lots of tinkering and patience to get them to work once in a while...and all the while you will be thinking that Bic lighters cost .99

rick_lindsey

Whoah, that's most cool! While it wasn't in use yet in Europe during the period of my "re-enactment" group, it still beats a bic! Must needs ponder making one...

-Rick

Top Bottom