What do you folks mean by “bespoke”?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

penicillin

Here is an easy solution: Start a new war - "Plastic" vs. "Acrylic"

Some people here get fussy over the use of "acrylic" to describe plastic pen blanks made from other resin materials that are not technically acrylic. They insist that we all use the term "plastic" as the generic term, not "acrylic." I play along, but do not care in the slightest, and I know many people who still say "acrylic" as a generic term for "plastic pen blank".

Can you call a pen made with a polyester pen blank a "bespoke acrylic pen"?

Flame on, you crazy diamond!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrista

Here is an easy solution: Start a new war - "Plastic" vs. "Acrylic"

Some people here get fussy over the use of "acrylic" to describe plastic pen blanks made from other resin materials that are not technically acrylic. They insist that we all use the term "plastic" as the generic term, not "acrylic." I play along, but do not care in the slightest, and I know many people who still say "acrylic" as a generic term for "plastic pen blank".

Can you call a pen made with a polyester pen blank a "bespoke acrylic pen"?

Flame on, you crazy diamond!

Resin! :p

Or if you prefer: Kitless Bespoke Resin pen. 🤣

jrista

You guys realize the last post was a joke, right? Man, never have I encountered so much animosity towards words... :confused: I think we could all stand to lighten up about them a bit. That, alone, would probably go a long ways here... 🤷‍♂️

derekdd

Reread what you wrote and tell me what we do with kits is not made for specific people. The thing that gets me in a tizzy over this is because all these people making so called kitless pens think their pens are bespoken only because they do not like the word kitless and has a bad meaning.. Just because you take some acrylic and put threads on it what makes that different than me taking a acrylic blank and doing segment work or casting a watch part blank?? How is that different?? It does not have a name on the pen. I am making a specific pen for a friend right now and one for my sister and yes they use kits. Can I call that a bespoke pen. A pen spoken for an individual is what constitutes a bespoken pen is what you are saying. The point brought up about Mont Blanc calling their nibs bespoken nibs. There is no name assigned to them. They are for sale like my kit pens.

I know this is a silly debate. I get it. People call anything what they want but it keeps coming up over and over here. We have members from around the world but I have never read any other word than bespoken pen for pens used here. Fountain pen, ballpoint pen, rollerball pen, all different types of PENS not BESPOKEN PENS. Maybe we should have a new forum called Bespoken Pens. Maybe I am seeing this in a whole different light because of the way we keep adding words to the English language that are just self centered to certain people. I am out of this. I said enough and am sure probably adding to my long list of people who are pressing the ignore button. Have at it. I will continue to show my kit pens and list the kit used and describe my blanks the way I always have. I have bespoken enough. :p:p:p
But that's what all living languages do. They evolve and add and subtract words over the years.

Consider words of your youth. Some, like cool, are still around while others aren't. Words are created or co-opted from other languages to fill a need for communication. Bespoke has been in use in the UK since the 1500s long before we in America were even colonists and simply means goods made to order.

Bespoke is a fine word for the work we do whether kit-based or not. It has a certain amount of cache to it because folks who buy bespoke suits or furniture typically have more $ than those who are buying their suits off the rack or their furniture off the showroom floor.

If people prefer other words, great. However, to view the use of bespoke as negative reflects a lack of understanding of the word and its history.

jttheclockman

But that's what all living languages do. They evolve and add and subtract words over the years.

Consider words of your youth. Some, like cool, are still around while others aren't. Words are created or co-opted from other languages to fill a need for communication. Bespoke has been in use in the UK since the 1500s long before we in America were even colonists and simply means goods made to order.

Bespoke is a fine word for the work we do whether kit-based or not. It has a certain amount of cache to it because folks who buy bespoke suits or furniture typically have more $ than those who are buying their suits off the rack or their furniture off the showroom floor.

If people prefer other words, great. However, to view the use of bespoke as negative reflects a lack of understanding of the word and its history.
Please let this damn thing die already. Move on.

Last edited:

NGLJ

Right now, I may be "witless" when it comes to making "kitless" but I always understood what it means. I just made a "bespoke" pen from a kit as a gift for a close friend who just found out that she has breast cancer. She didn't request it, and I decided what it would be like, but she loved it! Isn't that what really matters! I just used that "dreaded" word. Tell somebody who cares!

Can we just all please learn how to play nicely together. We are "supposed" to be adults after all. What would our kids, and possibly grandkids think of this! It hardly sets a good example for them. Life is too short for all this wasted "hot air". Just think of all of the time that was wasted on this that could have been spent on something productive, like learning to make better pens. Isn't that why we are all here!

penicillin

Please let this damn thing die already. Move on.
This statement came from a member who started a thread titled, "Interesting???" only two hours ago, with no other descriptive text in the title. The same person started another thread titled, "Woke??" about the word "woke". Why the complaint about run-on threads? Are they only for threads that you do not like?

jttheclockman

This statement came from a member who started a thread titled, "Interesting???" only two hours ago, with no other descriptive text in the title. The same person started another thread titled, "Woke??" about the word "woke". Why the complaint about run-on threads? Are they only for threads that you do not like?
You spoke about this petpeeve of yours before so again bring it up please do because it seems just me you hate when it happens. . When Les shows his pens that he shows over and over and puts those dots after one word do you complain to him like you do me. Please tell us more . Do complain to the people who put one word for a pen they made. Do you?? or is it just me. I get it you hate me so I hate you back OK. 5 year old kids at it. I have taken enough heat on this BESPOKEN stuff. I apologized. What else would you like me to do stand on my head. I am too old for that.

Just noticed someone started a thread and titled it Something Interesting. Nothing else. Did you call him out on it??????????????????? No just me. Please push the ignore button on my posts and all your anxiety will go away. I do not want you to have a stroke while reading my posts.

Last edited:

penicillin

You spoke about this petpeeve of yours before so again bring it up please do because it seems just me you hate when it happens. . When Les shows his pens that he shows over and over and puts those dots after one word do you complain to him like you do me. Please tell us more . Do complain to the people who put one word for a pen they made. Do you?? or is it just me. I get it you hate me so I hate you back OK. 5 year old kids at it. I have taken enough heat on this BESPOKEN stuff. I apologized. What else would you like me to do stand on my head. I am too old for that.

Just noticed someone started a thread and titled it Something Interesting. Nothing else. Did you call him out on it??????????????????? No just me. Please push the ignore button on my posts and all your anxiety will go away. I do not want you to have a stroke while reading my posts.
Yes, I dislike it when you complain about threads that run on too long, but start troll threads yourself. It is like the arsonist who complains when the fire burns too long.

I could ignore your posts, but you post so often that it would break up the flow of the threads, so I leave you there. I do not "hate you". I do not even "dislike you". I object to the deliberately misleading thread titles you create in the off topic section. I also object to the generally "troll" topics that they cover, which have little to do with penmaking. My post in this thread is about the content, not you as a person. You seem nice enough in general. This post from you is an outlier.

jttheclockman

Yes, I dislike it when you complain about threads that run on too long, but start troll threads yourself. It is like the arsonist who complains when the fire burns too long.

I could ignore your posts, but you post so often that it would break up the flow of the threads, so I leave you there. I do not "hate you". I do not even "dislike you". I object to the deliberately misleading thread titles you create in the off topic section. I also object to the generally "troll" topics that they cover, which have little to do with penmaking. My post in this thread is about the content, not you as a person. You seem nice enough in general. This post from you is an outlier.
Your post just does not make any sense. This thread has been beaten to death not only this time but many other times as well. Yes new members come on board and may ask question that have been hashed out before. This topic brings on some nasty aspects with it. But it has been asked by other members besides me to drop it already and move on to what you want and that is turn pens. So lets move on. Other people do not like this term and if you bother to read the links I provided of other times this was brought up you will see I am not alone. Yes I probably voice my opinions a little more than others but that is who I am. I keep getting dragged back into it. Just like you are doing now.

As far as trolling, what the H--ll are you talking about? I do not and never will troll anyone. I start "OFF TOPIC" conversations to get some talk going on other topics that may not be pen related. If you do not like that forum do not read it. Stick with pen turning. And what bothers the devil out of me is you choosing me to make this complaint when there are many others who start topics in that forum. Use nondescript titles. It is simply just a method to get others to at least look. No TROLLING. Trolling for what?? I do not get it. You really are sounding like a little child who can not get his way. You may need to seek help sir. Good luck. It is so obvious you have joined the long list of people who hate me here and yet still follow. I can not help you. Like seeing a bad car accident on highway. You want to look away but can not. So you continue to rubberneck. Well the ball is in your court.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom