What do we make next? (US Made Pen Kits)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PreacherJon

The world needs a click rollerball. If you could do a long single tube design (like a long clicker) and adapt a mechanism inside the nib to keep it close to airtight, you'd have to increase your staff just to keep them in stock.
They have various names, Atlas, polaris, patriot... came out with a really nice click pen... one body... super nice. And they did away with the click version. I STILL have mine after 15 years.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rixstix

The world needs a click rollerball. If you could do a long single tube design (like a long clicker) and adapt a mechanism inside the nib to keep it close to airtight, you'd have to increase your staff just to keep them in stock.
All it takes is a Schmidt 8126 capless rollerball cartridge to solve that particular dilema. Good for a year uncapped.

johncrane

i have made click rollerballs, and the problem you can have with that style of pen if the clicker is in the down position in your pocket by accident it will wreck your shirt with ink. just my experience apart from that, i do enjoy the rollerball ink

As someone mentioned... there are capless rollerball cartridges out there that work pretty well... but... the risk is also that if it ends up clicked in a pocket it'll pull that ink right out of the pen and into whatever clothing comes into contact with it. :) I think the snap cap pen sorta bridges the gap in that it's quicker to open than a screw top while not running the risk of destroying clothing. Plus we can make it in fountain pen form. Not going to try and recreate the Vanishing Point... they did an awesome job with that pen.

Two things I like about your products are American made and Stainless Steel, with no platings. I don't get any themed kits as most are gaudy and ugly. There must be a large market for them as every catalog I receive has new kits that are uglier and higher priced. Due to the cost they are doing away with the platings that hold up well, such as rhodium.
Stick to stainless steel and keep the designs classy. That's my opinion for what it's worth. The flashy theme pens may have a good market but most people I know prefer elegant. I've been considering buying a kit in sterling silver even though it's pricey. If I do, I'll make it for me and not to sell.
Also, perhaps etching some scroll work or design into the stainless. Something simple to make it stand out more.
Chrome and other cheap platings wear off. What about some stainless that is anodized to give it permanent color ? Not on every kit, but as an option. That way the customer has a choice. If they want color it costs more of course.
The two things that won't change... Solid machined metal parts and made in the US. :) We may dabble in some limited runs of brass, titanium, etc as we get things going but you're correct about platings. We have done some parts for one of our wholesale customers that were black PVD coated but PVD is certainly a premium coating designed to hold up over time. Big difference between that and budget chrome/gold plating on pot metal.

rixstix

Titanium? really? Glad I kept the titanium anodizer from our jumpring business.

edit: 2nd thought, not a good idea. Too fragile to hold up to everyday wear. No delete button for the post. This is a case of moving fingers before engaging brain.

Last edited:
Titanium? really? Glad I kept the titanium anodizer from our jumpring business.

edit: 2nd thought, not a good idea. Too fragile to hold up to everyday wear. No delete button for the post. This is a case of moving fingers before engaging brain.
Eh... it might work... but... heat coloring would be better. I know our friends at Divine Island Design could probably get all kinds of fun colors out of titanium using their laser setup.

howsitwork

I must admit I like that thought Tim. but as I'm over in UK import charges etc mean waiting until I'm on holiday ( or various friends are )

duncsuss

... a threaded cone for the nose and a threaded piece for the back of the pen that accepts the SKM-88. You'd have to drill and tap your material and then screw them into place. Easy enough to offer with or without a clip for those that prefer to make their own.
I like this idea - I've done it 3 or 4 times, but using a wood lathe it's really not easy for me to make nose cones.

ZanderPommo

i have made click rollerballs, and the problem you can have with that style of pen if the clicker is in the down position in your pocket by accident it will wreck your shirt with ink. just my experience apart from that, i do enjoy the rollerball ink
How did you modify the refill to fit in a clicker?

David350

We're headed into full year #2 since purchasing LaserLinez and now have the Liberty, Desire, Coyote, and Click Coyote pretty well figured out. Our finishing methods are finally where we like them and we've even managed to take the polishing phase from 48 hours down to about an hour thanks to our friends at Mass Finishing. That means it's time to plan for the next year and figure out what kits we want to bring to market.

My current plans:

Jan/Feb: Snap cap pen design using rollerball and fountain pen options
March/Apr: Click version of the Falcon (old LaserLinez design.. would only be 4 parts total to the pen, 2 machined, 1 clip, and the SKM88 click)

From there I'm thinking of releasing the Raven and Eagle which are capped Jr. sized fountain and rollerball pens, we'd just probably let our various resellers carry them so they all have some things that are a little different.

What I'm wondering is... what am I not thinking of? Should we have a "bolt action" type pen that isn't bullet themed? More of a toggle really... do we mess with slim line or close to slim line type kits if they'd still be like $15? What would you guys like to see from a US Manufacturer in stainless steel? Themed kits are NOT an option. Think profiles that can be done on a lathe, if we have to mill anything that adds cost.

I should mention we'd like to do Brass but matching clips are tough... we don't use plating currently so that would also mean that it would patina over time and the clip strength wouldn't be ideal. We DO have access to a PVD coating facility that can do black/gold/etc but quality PVD could add as much as $5 to the cost of a kit.

This might be a bit of a different idea than what you would consider, but I think it might have some merit. Would you consider taking some existing kits and making matching letter openers for them? There are hundreds of pen kits out there, but only a few that have a matching letter opener like the Majestic Jr., Designer / Euro, Big Ben / Cigar, etc. I like giving matched sets but our options are really limited. I'd love to see a letter opener for the Diana / Zoe that has a Swarovski crystal in the cap like the pen for the women, etc. Additionally, there are many nice Jr. pens that would be even better with a matching letter opener.

With so many pen kits out in the marketplace, it might be a challenge finding something new to entice pen makers, so why not make something to enhance existing kits? Of course, there might be legal considerations if someone has trademarked the look / style, but even if this is the case, I bet one could make close matches without running into issues. Additionally, I could see you approaching pen kit makers to get permission / license to make letter openers in their exact style as it would only serve to help them sell more pen kits. They probably would not be interested in making their own anyway as if they can't make it in the 10,000's its not worth it to them, but it might be worth you making 100's / 1,000's.

The world is changing rapidly, to avoid the supply chain mess my advice would be to make everything in house. Made in the U.S.A. is going to be BIG in the future.
I've just always been in the manufacturer mindset... It's HARD... insanely hard... but... I like the idea of being able to be the manufacturer here in the US. Plus if you're a bit of a control freak it helps when you're closer to the product hahaha

Jarod888

I would like to see something like a magnetic vertex. Basically a pen where you can show off a smaller, maybe 3-3.5 inch blank that has a cap which is all metal.
I like the magnetic vertex, something American made would peak my interest.

I would like to see something like a magnetic vertex. Basically a pen where you can show off a smaller, maybe 3-3.5 inch blank that has a cap which is all metal.
I like the magnetic vertex, something American made would peak my interest.
Magnetic might be a pain... but let's see how our two part snap cap pen works out and maybe we can adapt to offer an option of a ready made cap. Of course, that big of chunk of metal gets a little more expensive. That's a big stainless part to have!

BULLWINKLE

This is the one I'm talking about... made by CSUSA Patriot.... Woodcraft has the same pen and the call it something else. I would think a laser cut item would be great for this style.
PSI has this also. It's called Polaris. I like the long one part body because it shows off the blank. It also feels good in the hand. Not too slim and well balanced.

Top Bottom