wet sanding

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jvsank

I have seen several threads in here where wet sanding was used never tried that was wondering what method you use to do the sanding with MM Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rudy Vey

Wet-sanding is mainly used on non-wood materials, like plastics, acrylics and even resin stabilized wood blanks. These plastics can get very warm/hot during sanding, wet sanding does help in the way that it takes the heat away and lubricates (less friction=less heat).

53Jim

The way that I wet sand is... (I use the MM pads) I drop the pad into a hospital "spit tray" that is 1/4 full of water and set on an incline to keep the other end of the tray dry.

I flip the pad over and than rub it with my finger to get residue off. Than I put the pad to the plastic. A little time is all it takes, and the water has no chance of drying up, or getting gunked up. When I'm done with one blank, I use a piece of t-shirt to dry the blank and keep the sanding residue from contaminating the next grit.

When I'm done with a certain grit I dunk it in the water again and rub it with my finger to get the grunge off (just like I do at the beginning), and than I stand the pads in the dry half of the spit tray so they can dry and drip into the water.

Hope this was what you're looking for.

Jim

rtparso

I haven’t turned plastic but I wet sand at times. Always on antler and metal like shell cases and sometimes on wood. When I am sanding wood it is after I have CA finish on. In all cases that I have been wet sanding I am using the fluid to keep the abrasive from clogging. I use water and a few drops of soap I keep my MM in a little painters bucket and also keep some in a squirt bottle. Sometimes I just use the water that clings to the MM and sometimes I squirt a little more water depends on how mush mud the sanding is making.

AdamB

I have been wet sanding recently with a 2lb cut of shellac to fill the pores at the 400 grit level

Daniel

Good point about alternative liquids for wood. you can still get the heat reduction benefit without damaging the wood. you are begging for the blank to crack if you sand with water on wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom