We're BACK! - Check In

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Internet Explorer on Windows XP has issues connecting to secured sites. Here is a link with some possible solutions to the problem. I know you're not completely unable to connect, but I suspect that your issue might be related. I am betting that there is a time in the not-too-distant future when you will not be able to connect to a well-secured server with IE on XP. There are things here that you won't be able to see unless you're logged on, so hopefully some of those tips will help.

When I get some time I will try some of these. For now a couple clicks is not the end of the world. I do like the site. Will take some getting use to. Thanks again.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Are the photo albums up and running yet. I am unable to get to mine with the old link I had under my signature.

I was able to find album under media. I am guessing this is the old album. Can we add to this album or do we start a new one?? I see a link that states your album.

One other question is the an OP button to change things like signature or avatar.

Just playing around here I am answering some of my own questions and if anyone is following, under the email button is where you will find the profile page and things where you can set. Just click on show all bottom left of box. Or you can click on your sign-on name in blue header.

Last edited:

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Are the photo albums up and running yet. I am unable to get to mine with the old link I had under my signature.

I was able to find album under media. I am guessing this is the old album. Can we add to this album or do we start a new one?? I see a link that states your album.

One other question is the an OP button to change things like signature or avatar.

Just playing around here I am answering some of my own questions and if anyone is following, under the email button is where you will find the profile page and things where you can set. Just click on show all bottom left of box. Or you can click on your sign-on name in blue header.

I am still learning about the media manager and how best to implement personal albums. I have a couple ideas, but at the moment I'm just glad all the photos we had came over at all. It took two hops through two different importers to get to the Xenforo media manager. It's one of my priorities after I get a few more basics in place.

By "OP" did you mean "CP" for the Control Panel? I think you found it. :)

Ironwood

Click on the time of the last post.
Hi Jeff, unless I am misunderstanding what you are saying, that will take you to the last post in the thread.
What I am looking for, is some way to get back to where I left off yesterday.
Eg. I asked my question on post #90 yesterday, when I logged back on today, previously I would have been able to click on the symbol on the LHS of the thread title, and it would have taken me to post #91. But now it seems that if I click on the time of the last post, it takes me to the last post on page 4, then I have to scroll back looking for where I left off halfway down page 3.
So what I am looking for is some way of taking me back to where I left off, on my last session, like I could on the old forum.

CREID

Hi Jeff, unless I am misunderstanding what you are saying, that will take you to the last post in the thread.
What I am looking for, is some way to get back to where I left off yesterday.
Eg. I asked my question on post #90 yesterday, when I logged back on today, previously I would have been able to click on the symbol on the LHS of the thread title, and it would have taken me to post #91. But now it seems that if I click on the time of the last post, it takes me to the last post on page 4, then I have to scroll back looking for where I left off halfway down page 3.
So what I am looking for is some way of taking me back to where I left off, on my last session, like I could on the old forum.
If I understand what you want, if you click to mark all forums as read, the next time you click on that thread it will take you to the next post after you marked them read.
I hope that makes sense.

gimpy

Looking good Jeff. My brain, if I had one, would be spinning
After all that work.
Thank you for your hard work

Ironwood

If I understand what you want, if you click to mark all forums as read, the next time you click on that thread it will take you to the next post after you marked them read.
I hope that makes sense.
I'll give that a try to see what it does here, but I tried hitting the all forums read button on another forum once, I didn't like it, as it seemed to make it hard to access the threads again if I wanted to read them over again.

I find it hard to believe no one else is missing this feature, I thought everyone was using it. I am also an active member on about six other forums, they all have this feature.

CREID

I'll give that a try to see what it does here, but I tried hitting the all forums read button on another forum once, I didn't like it, as it seemed to make it hard to access the threads again if I wanted to read them over again.

I find it hard to believe no one else is missing this feature, I thought everyone was using it. I am also an active member on about six other forums, they all have this feature.
I don't know if this will help but there is also a watch button above the first post on every page and I think that is the same as the subscribe button on the old site. I don't know how to do this yet on the new site but I have the system email me when someone posts to a thread I am watching (subscribed to).

Ironwood

I hit the all forums read button after I typed that last reply, now when I click on the thread title it opened up on Divasmom post #131, so maybe that is how it has to be done now.
I will try it this way for a while and see how it goes.

Ironwood

I don't know if this will help but there is also a watch button above the first post on every page and I think that is the same as the subscribe button on the old site. I don't know how to do this yet on the new site but I have the system email me when someone posts to a thread I am watching (subscribed to).
I turn off emails on every forum I am on, otherwise it just clutters up my inbox and drives me crazy.

Ironwood

Well I worked out that I was hitting the wrong button to refresh, I was using the blue "What's New" button at the top of the page. If I use the white "new Posts" button to refresh the page, when I click on a thread title, it takes me to the first unread ( for me ) post.
I didn't like how the "mark as read" feature works . So it's the New Posts button for me.

TonyL

Hello Everyone - we're back on the air. There is still quite a lot of styling and appearance work to do, but you should be able to post.
New new look and feel is so "slick", it makes our logo seem somewhat nostalgic. Maybe time for an upgrade...once we get to steady-state.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member

Are any of those forums running Xenforo and can you point me to them? Perhaps there's an add-on that does what you describe.
New new look and feel is so "slick", it makes our logo seem somewhat nostalgic. Maybe time for an upgrade...once we get to steady-state.

I agree. Problem is, we have such low participation in the logo contest that I'm assuming I'll need to just pay to have one designed by a third party. It's on the list ;)

Ironwood

Are any of those forums running Xenforo and can you point me to them? Perhaps there's an add-on that does what you describe.
As far as I know, they are all various versions of vBulletin. Xenforo is a different style, so maybe doesn't need that feature. As I said in one of my posts, now that I found the " new posts " button, clicking on the thread title takes me to where I left off last time I visited. So that negates the need for having the button to do it, as per vBulletin.

The new style of forum will just take a bit of getting used to. I am sure it's going to be much better than the old one. I am already loving the the new image loading abilities.
I did some tests in my latest thread in SOYP's , ( Pennyleaf Rosewood) , uploading bigger photos doesn't seem to make much difference if viewing on a iPhone or iPad, but on my 27" iMac, the difference is huge.

TonyL

I agree. Problem is, we have such low participation in the logo contest that I'm assuming I'll need to just pay to have one designed by a third party. It's on the list ;)
Maybe, it is because few of us have graphic design capabilities/skills. I will look for software that will allow me to create a logo. Maybe, I will learn something.

m4skinner

how is it this is the first time seeing the thread ? I have been on here every day since the change and there was one a couple of new post till today, today when I click new post there is a whole page of them post or threads.

OZturner

Thank you Jeff, for all your Effort, it must have been quite a Task.
I am finding my way around , one step at a time, looks and feels Great
Congratulations to you and those who probably assisted you.
Regards, Brian.

MDWine

OMG.. CHANGE, I HATE CHANGE... But this on was a GOOD'ERN!!
I just got back on since the grandson is visiting... but so far everything is excellent!!

Great work Jeff and company!!

sparhawk

Site looks good, Jeff. Did we lose the e-mail, private message tabs for members? You used to be able to go to a memebers page and had the option of private message or e-mail at the click of a button.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Site looks good, Jeff. Did we lose the e-mail, private message tabs for members? You used to be able to go to a memebers page and had the option of private message or e-mail at the click of a button.
It's now called "Start Conversation"

Top Bottom