Welcome to Fort Knox

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Over the next couple of weeks, we'll be adjusting some new security measures intended to fend off attacks like the one we had a couple weeks ago. You may experience an occasional glitch with the site when legitimate activities are incorrectly blocked. If you experience something like that, please send me as much information as you can about what you were doing when you encountered the problem.

The intent here is to block as many of the internet evil-doers as we can, so please bear with us as we zero in on the correct settings.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

Jeff:
It might me a good idea to set up a free e-mail account and list that address here.
For the longest time, AVG software wouldn't let my XP computers log onto IAP, even with the virus protection turned off.

If folks can't access the site, it would be impossible to e-mail or PM from within the program. Additionally, if those e-mailing you have "skunk stuff" on their e-mails, it would go to a free e-mail server rather than the IAP servers.

Respectfully submitted, MCSE

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, Andy. I'm not expecting any loss of service to the point where a PM would not be possible. However, anyone who wants my personal email or phone can click into my profile here. I don't want to post it in the clear in a thread.

Again, any glitches should be very minor and not noticeable by most members.

PenMan1

Not trying to "get into your business", Jeff.

A lot of malware "junk clean up" is happening in Government Bureaus on Monday, July 9.

I created a "junk" e-mail account, just in case the Govrrnment is up to their usual standards of excellence:)

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
On Monday, July 23, we'll be turning on a major new security feature. The intent is to further lock out the dirty, evil virus-spreaders and other criminals.

As I said in the original post above, please let me know if you experience any abnormal site behavior or are blocked from accessing something. For the unlikely circumstance where you are not able to PM me or access the site, I've set up an email address:

bugs@penturners.org

Your patience is greatly appreciated as we work to protect our community.

renowb

The last time I was told "Welcome To Fort Knox" I had just got of the bus there! AIT Armor training 1971. Scared me for a second...

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
I thought you might be stopping by Jeff:biggrin:. I was in Fort Knox yesterday playing some disc golf.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
New blocking software is now running.

PLEASE let me know asap if you experience problems. I've already discovered an issue, so I know it's not perfect yet.

Reactions: Rob

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager

PLEASE let me know asap if you experience problems. I've already discovered an issue, so I know it's not perfect yet.

Would this be a contributing factor to the "recently locked library" syndrome??

It seems that the Internet follows the (slightly modified) laws of physics: To every action there is an (unanticipated) opposite and (not necessarily) equal REaction!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

jeff

Administrator
Staff member

Would this be a contributing factor to the "recently locked library" syndrome??

It seems that the Internet follows the (slightly modified) laws of physics: To every action there is an (unanticipated) opposite and (not necessarily) equal REaction!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I am not familiar with any locking of the library, other than one person who was unable to get to it.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Several problems were fixed yesterday. Thanks to those who reported them.

I think we have zeroed in on the right configuration.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
test:

=IF(ISNUMBER(A1), IF(VALUE(A1) <> 0, A1, ""), "What here?")

Looks like it's fixed. :biggrin:

I believe it was the double quote that caused the problem. That's one way hackers try to break a script and inject malicious SQL into the data stream. The filter has been adjusted to allow this in legitimate situations. Thanks for testing it!

PTownSubbie

My my now Jeff...becoming a programmer area you? It can't be easy running a site like this! Do you have a coding background?

My hat is off to you and your efforts to keep everything going safely and securely!

Thanks!

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
My my now Jeff...becoming a programmer area you? It can't be easy running a site like this! Do you have a coding background?

My hat is off to you and your efforts to keep everything going safely and securely!

Thanks!

I have been writing software on and off for 30 years, professionally and for "fun". :biggrin:

But I have engaged some professional help for these site security issues. That's a specialized area which I believe deserves the investment to keep our community safe. We've had a few virus/malware issues in the past, but this one ticked me off enough that I decided that it was time to put away the flyswatter and get out the sledgehammer.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
We've identified an issue with ForumRunner uploading photos. You'll see 'parse error' until we get it fixed.

Please continue to advise me of any other issues you encounter.

jd99

I have been writing software on and off for 30 years, professionally and for "fun". :biggrin:
Hey Jeff:
I got one for you, when I decided I was going to retire (get the H-- out of :wink:) from the mold/tool and die making career, I decided I was going to do some of this new fangled computer stuff.
Started out thinking I was going into coding, took about 6 months of it and I remember at least 3 of the classes were on assembly language, and we had to write working apps in assembly to pass the classes. There wasn't any GUI stuff or compliers that would tell you where your missing comma was back then, ya just had to search lines of code for it.. :wink:

Well I switched to networking and never looked back.

Curly

Is it just me?

I wonder if anyone else is having the same problem I am? :hypnotized:

When I look at some threads I've clicked the "Like" button, or posted to, the "View First Unread" isn't there when I go back later.

I asked Jeff and he is stumped. :befuddled:

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I wonder if anyone else is having the same problem I am? :hypnotized:

When I look at some threads I've clicked the "Like" button, or posted to, the "View First Unread" isn't there when I go back later.

I asked Jeff and he is stumped. :befuddled:

Just to be clear, the only time you'll see the "View First Unread" link (which appears in the upper left corner of the first post in a thread, in the dark blue bar) is when there have been new posts made in the thread since the last time you visited the thread.

I can't reproduce the problem Pete is having.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Got a permission error when trying to edit a post.

That's probably not related to our new security measures. You see an entirely different message when blocking. Like this:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access {the name of a script} on this server.
Apache/2.0.52 (CentOS) Server at IAP Home Port 80

If it persists, let me know.

Top Bottom