Watch pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from denniszoomy

denniszoomy

Well finally decided to try and make a watch pen just pulled the blank out of the pressure pot. Hopefully I will get it turned tomorrow.

Dennis

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 477
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lamplight66

Watch part pen

Yikes! That's what I want to try next, and that's EXACTLY what I am scared of happening!! What do you think was the reason for this, and a possible way to avoid such?? Also, which kit is this for? Thanks, Don

denniszoomy

Yikes! That's what I want to try next, and that's EXACTLY what I am scared of happening!! What do you think was the reason for this, and a possible way to avoid such?? Also, which kit is this for? Thanks, Don

Don I think that the alumilite did not stick to the face of the watch and I caught a edge of the blank which took the chunk out of the blank. Just got to take it easier on the edges and I think I will be ok.

Dennis

Dennis did you spray or put something on the face? I have never seen a blow out in the middle of a blank like that. I know that hurts, out of 5 that I cast I will lose about 2. Most the time it is because I have gotten one of the parts too high and cut into it. Out of the 18 or so I have cast I haven't had a single blow out but I was using epoxy.

I am getting ready to cast my first Alumilite blanks kind of got me scared to now, after you already have so much time in them you hate to lose them.

Did your pour go normal. We're they gummy when they came out and you cooked them for awhile? Did you notice anything different in the turning before the blow out, more chippy than normal? Just trying to figure out what went wrong before I do it on mine.

Mike

denniszoomy

Dennis did you spray or put something on the face? I have never seen a blow out in the middle of a blank like that. I know that hurts, out of 5 that I cast I will lose about 2. Most the time it is because I have gotten one of the parts too high and cut into it. Out of the 18 or so I have cast I haven't had a single blow out but I was using epoxy.

I am getting ready to cast my first Alumilite blanks kind of got me scared to now, after you already have so much time in them you hate to lose them.

Did your pour go normal. We're they gummy when they came out and you cooked them for awhile? Did you notice anything different in the turning before the blow out, more chippy than normal? Just trying to figure out what went wrong before I do it on mine.

Mike

Mike No I did not put anything on the face of the watch so I have a feeling the alumilite just did not stick to it. I pressurize mine for about an hour and they do come out a little gummy. I just let the set for a few more hours and they harden up. When you make them do you put anything on the face to help the PR (or other) stick to the face?

Dennis

Dennis, I have not used anything on the faces. On a could I have sprayed with a clear arylic that I used to try and hopefully keep the painted face from cracking. I have had a few that when I went ot bend them around the tube the paint just flaked off. But usually I don't use anything. I have not had any issues, but then again I was using Epoxy. I have three new blanks with the parts glued on now and letting them off gas for a couple days before I pour them, going to try Alumilite, out of epoxy. I'll let you know how they do.

Mike

Top Bottom