Warranties for your pens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hanau

What type of warranty do you offer with your pens or other items?

Workmanship of the blanks/wood?
Warranties of the kits?
Misuse and not misuse of the item?
How do you determine if if was misused or not?
Does the seller of kits offer warranties for there pens that you sell?
How long do they usually cover it if they do?

The ones who make kit less pens what are your warranties for your pens?

It was a slow night at work last night and was thinking about this.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

PSI offers a lifetime warranty and replacement for all but their funline line of pen kit parts.

The plating is part of that coverage, unless it was abused, I think ...

The workmanship of the barrels and finish .... you cover that yourself with what you believe to be appropriate. Obviously, if you tell someone that it's covered for anything other than extreme abuse for a period of up to 90 days as opposed to saying "bring it back to me and I'll fix it for you if anything happens" and don't give a time frame .... some people will be more inclined to buy, if they think they will get good service after the sale.

Personally, when I sell a pen, I let them know that they are buying a handmade item "as is", that was crafted by hand (by me) and that the parts (metal) have a lifetime warranty on the metal plating for anything other than abuse. The finish on the pen will need to be maintained over time to keep it's shine and protective qualities. (in other words, I'm not offering ANY warranty at this time)

They can bring it back to me for maintenance or they can do it themselves.

I would determine misuse as .... attempting to use the item in a manner inconsistent with it's intended purpose and design, throwing it, dropping it, hitting it with anything, chewing on it, inserting it into bodily orifices of any kind, stepping on it, or driving over it in a vehicle .... or anything else along these lines.

bobleibo

Always for as long as they own it...unless it was abused. I might lose all of my profit (and maybe more) if I have to re-make it, but the customer will remember and tell others. Most people are honest and appreciate integrity. The ones who don't .... oh, well.
Cheers
Bob

avbill

Anything anytime every-time -- 100 precent. for a small business ; and you want to be around for some time IT'S 100%.

And this is why....
A person said she bought her pen from me at my first show in the desert. What a call... That was 5 years ago I fixed the pen for her my cost $ 2.75. + shipping. She bought 3 pens in 5 years from me. Was it worth 2.75 + shipping you bet!

My customers pay a pretty penny for my craftsmen-ship for their pens. This client bought a beautiful pen [ he's in the stock market as a investor agent. ] He called me up and said it was he's fault but could I fix the acrylic barrel. It was in 7 pieces. He said he pay for it. Since then this gentlemen has bought one more pen for himself and referred 4 other clients to me. Oh btw I delivered his pen to his investment office. Guess what.... $$$$ for me.

I ask you: What is a warranty worth to you. 2 clients and little time and sweat-- So was the customer service worth it? from the service it provided I received over 2100 dollars for 8 pens. WaS the 100% warranty worth it!

====

I also invite them to bring their pen to me at the shows and I will recondition them so the pens are in top condition. Does this take time Yes but I call it customer service. Does the service pay you back? You can only answer that question

Since I stated this new program [I pick this up on IAP ] THANK YOU! there has being a increase in sales with my clients; extra pens, gifts, extra refills

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
PSI offers a lifetime warranty and replacement for all but their funline line of pen kit parts.

The plating is part of that coverage, unless it was abused, I think ..

The workmanship of the barrels and finish .... you cover that yourself with what you believe to be appropriate. Obviously, if you tell someone that it's covered for anything other than extreme abuse for a period of up to 90 days as opposed to saying "bring it back to me and I'll fix it for you if anything happens" and don't give a time frame .... some people will be more inclined to buy, if they think they will get good service after the sale.

Personally, when I sell a pen, I let them know that they are buying a handmade item "as is", that was crafted by hand (by me) and that the parts (metal) have a lifetime warranty on the metal plating for anything other than abuse. The finish on the pen will need to be maintained over time to keep it's shine and protective qualities. (in other words, I'm not offering ANY warranty at this time)

They can bring it back to me for maintenance or they can do it themselves.

I would determine misuse as .... attempting to use the item in a manner inconsistent with it's intended purpose and design, throwing it, dropping it, hitting it with anything, chewing on it, inserting it into bodily orifices of any kind, stepping on it, or driving over it in a vehicle .... or anything else along these lines.
You might want to read the PSI warranty again.

The lifetime warranty only applies only to components plated with 24K Gold and only on specified kits.

Other PSI components are warrented to the Original Purchaser and only for 2 years from the original date of purchase.

Most vendors have their own warranty policies, those who sell here at the IAP are generally very good. However, these vendors go out of their way to provide excellent customer service and will often go out of their way to resolve issues even when their product is not at fault. But, you really can't expect that kind of service when you buy elsewhere.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Anything anytime every-time -- 100 precent. for a small business ; and you want to be around for some time IT'S 100%.

And this is why....
A person said she bought her pen from me at my first show in the desert. What a call... That was 5 years ago I fixed the pen for her my cost $ 2.75. + shipping. She bought 3 pens in 5 years from me. Was it worth 2.75 + shipping you bet!

My customers pay a pretty penny for my craftsmen-ship for their pens. This client bought a beautiful pen [ he's in the stock market as a investor agent. ] He called me up and said it was he's fault but could I fix the acrylic barrel. It was in 7 pieces. He said he pay for it. Since then this gentlemen has bought one more pen for himself and referred 4 other clients to me. Oh btw I delivered his pen to his investment office. Guess what.... $$$$ for me.

I ask you: What is a warranty worth to you. 2 clients and little time and sweat-- So was the customer service worth it? from the service it provided I received over 2100 dollars for 8 pens. WaS the 100% warranty worth it!

====

I also invite them to bring their pen to me at the shows and I will recondition them so the pens are in top condition. Does this take time Yes but I call it customer service. Does the service pay you back? You can only answer that question

Since I stated this new program [I pick this up on IAP ] THANK YOU! there has being a increase in sales with my clients; extra pens, gifts, extra refills
That says it all. You are dead on.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Are warranties a cost, or an investment?

When you answer this, you will determine the policy that is comfortable for you.

My answer, when I sold pens, was I would fix anything, usually free. Also, I bought thousands of pen kits, many 300 at a time from one vendor. I NEVER asked them for any replacement parts. They were selling to me at volume pricing. So, a "kit" that was $10, I would buy for $7. I continued to view that as a $10 kit and price my products to my customers, on that basis. So, when I had one or two that needed parts, take them off another $10 kit. I was selling those completed pens for about $40 minimum. As the "artist" or "craftsman", I am by far the most profitable from the sale, so I am the best positioned to bear the cost of any pieces I needed to repair "operator error".

FWIW,
Ed

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
What type of warranty do you offer with your pens or other items?

Workmanship of the blanks/wood?
Warranties of the kits?
Misuse and not misuse of the item?
How do you determine if if was misused or not?
Does the seller of kits offer warranties for there pens that you sell?
How long do they usually cover it if they do?

The ones who make kit less pens what are your warranties for your pens?

It was a slow night at work last night and was thinking about this.
The answer to this question is - it depends on the seller. Many vendors here at IAP will cover their kits after you have made and sold a pen but generally speaking warranties are only to the original purchaser of the kit and when you sell a pen made from a kit, you warrant it.

The length of time a kit seller warrants for again depends on the seller - some expect you to find any issues with their kits (damaged plating, missing parts, obviously broken parts etc.) within two weeks. Others will cover such things much longer. Know who you are buying kits from.

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Are warranties a cost, or an investment?

When you answer this, you will determine the policy that is comfortable for you.

My answer, when I sold pens, was I would fix anything, usually free. Also, I bought thousands of pen kits, many 300 at a time from one vendor. I NEVER asked them for any replacement parts. They were selling to me at volume pricing. So, a "kit" that was $10, I would buy for $7. I continued to view that as a $10 kit and price my products to my customers, on that basis. So, when I had one or two that needed parts, take them off another $10 kit. I was selling those completed pens for about $40 minimum. As the "artist" or "craftsman", I am by far the most profitable from the sale, so I am the best positioned to bear the cost of any pieces I needed to repair "operator error".

FWIW,
Ed
It would be a blessing for us vendors if more people had that attitude - but, since you are now a pen kit seller you already know that.

TurtleTom

This 100% guarantee thing is just so rewarding for the pen seller, I wonder how much even more profitable it would be to guarantee every one else's pens. Maybe you could corner the market. :wink:
All kidding aside, I wasn't expecting all this, what my mama called Good Samaritanism; but I'm delighted to be associated with you all, albeit in a small way.

randyrls

I offer a free ink refill on any pen I sell. Bring it in, and I will inspect it, polish it, replace the ink supply. If necessary, I will fix anything wrong with it. Meanwhile I invite the customer to browse thru the pens in my sample box. In the past month I fixed a broken pen for an acquaintance of a member of our turning club. the part came out of my spare parts box. No charge! I may get another sale out of that one.

liljohn1368

I talked to a guy the other day that paid $325.00 for a pen. The reason he told me he bought it was. It had a lifetime warranty...

keithbyrd

I offer a life time warranty - then tell them "my life!" - in a humorous way - then explain that if they ever have a problem contact me and if it can be repaired I will repair at no cost. I send it back with a new refill and a coupon for 10-15% off their next purchase. Almost always generate a sale with that coupon and have received several referral sales. Great service after the sale makes for another sale!!

Top Bottom