Whine Alert

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lyonsacc

Okay, this is more along the lines of therapy for me than anything else . . .

The last 13 months have been rough. Last August (2014) my 50 year old brother passed away unexpectedly, not totally shocking, but still unexpectedly. A day or two after the funeral I came down with an amazingly painful infection, through which we discovered some prostate problems I was having. It took a month or two or three to work through my medical issues and help my parents, sister-in-law & her kids begin to adjust to their new life. My wife and I have a small accounting firm (there are just 3 or 4 of us here depending on the time of year) and the "busy season" hit in January. In February while trying to learn to snowboard with my 9 year old I managed to fracture my glenoid (shoulder). The fracture was missed on the original x-ray, so I plugged on through tax season in a decent amount of pain. In April once tax season was over, I had a scan of my shoulder that discovered the fracture had healed, but the scar tissue had caused "frozen" shoulder – which started a month of painful physical therapy. The shoulder scan also revealed a lump in my lungs. A lung scan revealed 4 small masses that they don't think are cancerous but want to check again next year and also an enlarged thyroid. That led to a thyroid ultrasound and then a biopsy, which all came back good. The chest scan also revealed the source of some of my pain, a herniated disk. In the meantime, my wife and I were attempting to keep up with work at our business. Work was a bit crazier than usual this year due to some tax law changes and other issues. As well, we had spent a decent chunk of money this year trying to make some improvements to the business. Unfortunately, the new staff and other things we did only produced about 20% of the results we hoped for (and very little additional income). So, like most small business owners know, when things don't go as planned the first thing that happens is the owners get a pay cut. Now where was I, oh yes, the physical therapy on my shoulder wasn't producing the results expected, so I had surgery in early August. It went pretty well, and I am still going to physical therapy. They tell me it will be December or January before the pain is gone and I have most of the motion back in my arm. Last week, I had a follow up prostate biopsy. Yesterday, a few days before my 50th birthday, the results came back with some cancer cells. It is very small and most likely entirely contained in the gland, so the surgery next month has a high likelihood of getting it all out. I am impressed with my doctor, finding such a small tumor down there had to be like finding a needle in a haystack . . . (sorry, I had to throw that in). I've had a family member and a friend go through this and the recovery period can be a bit unpleasant, but the results should be fine. Okay, I think I might be done whining.

Oh wait, no I am not done whining. I think I have made 3 or 4 pens this year (my kids have made more than me!). At the beginning of this year I bought some kits from Exotics, a nice watch parts blank (my first), a baseball poly clay blank, and some other special blanks from Roy during his nice BASH sale, I bought a couple bangles from the bangle guy, a couple gallons of cactus juice from Curtis, some wood from the USS Constituion, and a few other things. And guess what?!? Most all of it is still sitting untouched in the basement. Ugh! However, I did manage to finish this pen in June for a dear friend of ours (it was supposed to be a present last Christmas, but just a little late)
6-25-15 002.jpg
I have pens to turn for folks, but with work being the way it has this year and all of the time "lost" for the physical therapy and other medical junk, I'm not going to get to any of this fun stuff anytime soon.

On top of that, I have a coat rack ½ built that needs finished by this winter (ours broke last year). And the school for which my daughter plays in the marching band is in need of a stand built for their glockenspiel ASAP. (At least that gets me some time in the shop)
Depressing and frustrating.

Anyway, other than that, life is good. My wife and I will be celebrating our 25th this coming year. She is an amazing and beautiful woman! I have 3 really, really, great kids. My faith in God is as strongas it has been for years.

Okay, thanks for letting me whine. Therapy for the soul. I feel better.

Oh! And MPG or MWPG or whatever it is called is going to be 45 minutes from my parent's house this year – but it is the weekend before the4/15 tax deadline. Aaaaaghhhhh!! It will be so close, but I can't go . . . .

I promise I am done whining. For today. At least until dinner.
Thanks for listening.
Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Wow Dave !! First, my condolences for the loss of your brother.

Second, having read your trials and tribulations, I'm not gonna whine for ages now..... so you can be assured that your issues have had some good, even on the other side of the planet..:biggrin:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Congratulations on the anniversary and you have my sincere condolences on the loss of your brother.

Sorry to hear about the trials and tribulations regarding your health and the business. It sounds like you have a great attitude & super family support, and most of all, faith & trust in the Lord. We will keep you all in our prayers as you deal with all these issues.

Thanks for sharing - it sometimes helps just to expand one's support group.

Edgar

SteveJ

Dave

You are welcome to whine whenever you want. It's been a tough year for you. Sometimes the rest of us need to be reminded of how well off we are in comparison. Keep the faith! You never stand alone.

Katya

It's really been a tough year for you and yours, and it's okay to talk about it! I know how hard it can be to slog through times like that, and to just keep on going. As Steve and others have said- keep the faith, and be tender with yourself.

lyonsacc

Thanks for the positive comments. My usual tendency is to keep things very close, but It felt good to write this.

Wow Dave !! First, my condolences for the loss of your brother.

Second, having read your trials and tribulations, I'm not gonna whine for ages now..... so you can be assured that your issues have had some good, even on the other side of the planet..:biggrin:

FYI - there have been 3 times this year I have stopped people from improperly using a certain hammer on my desk!

Last edited:

Warren White

I am not a Doctor...

...but I had the same diagnosis of prostate cancer. Small area, not aggressive; could wait 5 years.

I am not one to wait 5 years (I would be five years older and none the wiser), so I opted for brachytherapy. It is one of three options you might want to consider. I have been happy with the results and with the recovery.

You should of course discuss the options with your Doctor.

I am sorry for the difficulties you have experienced. Life isn't for the faint hearted, but your faith of course helps tremendously.

Congratulations on the milestone with the wife... just finished 23 myself - second for both of us - and I can sympathize with your health problems... haven't had any myself, but in Dec '13 my wife came down with a blood infection that almost took her away, she wound up in the hospital for 3 weeks before they sent her to a nursing center for an extended antibiotic treatment... after 3 months they sent her back to the hospital for an MRI on her back where we think the infection had started. They did a biopsy of the bone in her back, but found nothing growing there but still had the infections, so back to the nursing center for another month. In March '14, the infection disease doctor declared the infection cleared and sent her home... on March 17th she had a mild stroke, so back to the hospital, where they found the infection had regenerated and now had attached itself to the mitral valve in her heart. April '14 she had open heart surgery to replace the mitral valve, then home again with more antibiotics for another 40 days. She's still having lots of back pain, so after a couple of months, we see a doctor who specializes in back pain who recommends a neurosurgeon, but recommends we wait a year before any surgery... we saw the neurosurgeon a couple of months ago and after x-rays, MRI and CT scans, he tells us that the infection has complete eaten away two of the discs in her back and allowed two of the vertebrae to rest bone on bone, which in turned have fused and at a slight angle so that the spine is constricted slightly. He said he could operate, but because of the way the bones are fused and the constriction, he was actually reluctant because if he nicked the spine or something, he could create even more damage and maybe permanently cripple her. His recommendation was pain management - which is limited in effectiveness... she can stand and walk a few minutes, but after about 15 minutes, she's spent and has to rest...

Last edited:
Top Bottom