Wanted New Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

bob393

I was almost too embarrassed to ask this question. I‘ve been reading the forum, post by post, for a couple of day now and I still don’t have an answer to the question.

So hear it goes.

I’m looking to purchase a new mini/midi lathe.

I’m currently turning on an old 750 lb 48†J-Line, and while it does a fine job I want to get a small portable lathe for small projects. You know pens, pencils, stoppers, yo-yo’s, and boxes.

As of now I’m not set on any one brand.
I probably won’t spring for a Vicmarc and I have a feeling that the $69.00 ones on eBay are no good. So I guess some where in the middle is where I will be.

I’m just looking to see what everyone is using and what you would buy if you were looking right now.

bob393

Originally posted by ctEaglesc
<br />What weight limit do you set as "portable"
How much throw are you looking for?

Weight is not an issue to me in this class of lathe, 75, 85lb is fine.
And throw; all I need is around 8" an I think that most are around 10.

Anything larger I would continue to turn on the J-Line.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
The Rikon weighs in at90# the Jet mini at 80, Rikon is a 12- 16 Jet a 10-14.
Unless you went to one of the Turncrafter lathes by PSI which would be considerably lighter.
Up until the other day I would have suggested a Grizzly VS but someone here gave them a bad review.

What price range you looking into?

bob393

Price is up in the air but I would like to stay under $400.00.
I was looking at the Turncrafter but it did look a little light duty.
I actualy want an indexing head for sone stuff. Who sells the Rikon? I have
heard of it but I'm not familiar with it. Is it a VS unit?

Goshen, NY IS a great place. I know where Hornell is but have no idea where
Painted Post might be.

rgundersen

Woodcraft sells the Rikon.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=5508

Doesn't look to be a VS version from them at least.

The guys at my local Rockler have tried this new mini and all of them have said that it is as good as the Jet with a couple of them switching over to it. Is called an M-Power. Also presume this is nationwide but Rockler has a 10 percent off sale this Saturday, and yes it includes 10 percent off power tools.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17191

Not making any recommendations for either just passing information.

I personally have the Jet Midi non-VS. Thinking I may have liked the VS in the long run but oh well have what I have for now.

bob393

Thanks,
I need to look more into the Rikon, I want the indexing head.
The M-Power is interesting and wow a great price but I think
I'm more interested in the Rikon for now.

bob393

I'm not hearing good things about the Rikon.
The term "growing pains" keeps comming up.
All reviews love the size and features but the quality control seems off,
Spicificly the quill threads, and a 1/2 HP motor is low for a 12" unit.
I see Oneway has a midi size lathe but $2000 is well out of my range.
It looks like the Jet is the most popular by far.
Perhaps the Vicmark is a better deal than I first thought.
Any other ideas.

Russb

I have two Vicmarcs. Both have good 1/2 hp motors with VS speeds from 0 - 3000+. The first motor and controller I got from Craft Supply when the Vicmarc first came out years ago. The second setup I purchased from Ebay. You get what you pay for. I can't say anything negative about the Jet, except for it lack of good low speed. It's hard to beat its price for those on a budget.

bob393

I gota tell you this whole thing is killing me.
I'm the type that hates to replace things so I usually buy good stuff in the first place.
And in this caes I know I want to keep a midi lathe when I get it.

Russb

Get the Vicmarc. We need more Vicmarc users out there. My original one is still going strong after about 10 years, incuding the original belt, and yes it gets a lot of use. The Channel Islands Woodturners also purchased one as the club lathe. Vicmarc is also one of the standards when it comes to full size lathes. Check out the VL300.

http://www.vicmarc.com/

bnoles

Originally posted by Dario
<br />Russ,

I think VL100 fits his (defined) need better. [;)]

What Dario said.... he may have trouble finding pen blanks [:D][:D][:D]

20061111214514_ph9.jpg
<br />

I don't know anything about any other lathes then my Jet Mini.. and my only complaint with it is the motor is under the lathe bed and gets covered with sawdust.. probably doesn't hurt a thing, but would rather it was located elsewhere.... even on my "starter" lathe the Ridgid from HOME Depot the motor is outboard from the bed.

bnoles

Originally posted by Russb
<br />Just showing the VL300 as a comparison for quality. Besides Christmas is coming.

Russ,
I hope I did not post a good grin at your expense. You made a good reply with the Vicmarc as it is a very nice lathe and I looked hard at the 100 myself when trying to choose my lathe. I happened upon the picture on their site and remembering what Dario had posted, I could not resist bringing the 2 thoughts together for a grin.

You will have to admit, that is one heck of a pen that fellow is trying to turn [:)]

bob393

Wow is that a jumbo cigar pen or what,[:D]

This is what I wanted to hear about when I first posted.
No real complaints about the jet or the vickmark.
No real comments about anything else except the Riken.
I thought I would like the Riken because of the features
but it sounds like it falls appart under heavy use.

Now it sounds like shopping time.

Would you turn pens on a regular basis on a VL300?

Russb

"Would you turn pens on a regular basis on a VL300?"

Sure, why not? You can turn small things on a big lathe, but you can't turn big things on a small lathe. I have a 20" Woodfast along with 2 Vicmarc minis. It just feels more proper to do my pens on the Vicmarc. VL100 If I start attending church maybe my VL100 will grow up to be a VL300.....or not...

chigdon

I will NEVER get rid of my Jet mini, and don't know anyone who ever has. The Rikon looks real good though. For the sale price the General is nice too.

SteveRoberts

I am keeping my jet minis also. I have upgraded my motor to a nice emerson 3/4 hp. that made a difference. There is no reason to mess with the lathe that turned 1500 pens in it's first year. And 3 bowls![:D]

Dario

My mantra on any purchase is "good value" which for me is the best quality:price compromise...and in this case, Jet mini VS for me is it. [^]

While I can turn a pen on the PM 3520B...I don't think it is energy efficient to do so plus it won't be worth the wear and tear to the machine (though minimal) so I will continue to use the mini as much as possible.

Russb

Yup, I cant't disagree that for the price the Jet is a great buy. If you want to do bowls and start out with a blank that is not balanced the Jet may want to bounce around. That's because the Jet only goes down to 500rpm. You can bolt it to a cabinet or do other things to weight it down. I'm a bit of a tool snob and like the quality of the Vicmarc. If you get the Jet I would definetly recommend the VS. Even if you upgrade to a larger lathe later the Jet mini VS will make a great second lathe. Once you do VS you'll never go back.

bob393

This has me pacing the floor.
The oneway is way out of my price range, the vickmark is just above my pric range but could reach it. The jet looks like the value but I'm also a tool snob.
What to do.

Dario

Originally posted by bob393
<br />This has me pacing the floor.
The oneway is way out of my price range, the vickmark is just above my pric range but could reach it. The jet looks like the value but I'm also a tool snob.
What to do.

I thought you have a bigger lathe? Are you looking to replace it or just get a smaller lathe add on.

It will help if you share what you really want to do.

bob393

My K-Line is a 750 lb floor model. I am looking for a smaller kind of portable lathe spicificly for pens, small boxes, yo-yo's, that kind of thing.
I turn mostly bowls and hollow stuff on the floor model.
I'm not looking to replace it.
The oneway I'm talking about is the baby 1224, yah its out of the range of portable and price.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
There's a new kid on the block
Steel City tools
I spoke with my local tool company yesterday.
Price wise comparable to the JET, It is available in VS or manual.
It would seem that one would select the tried and true Jet since there is little differnce in capacity, price, no indexing head like the Rikon..
MAybe someone from Tennessee can stop in and Check out the factory if they are made here.

JimGo

I recently purchased a Jet mini VS after having a PSI TurnCrafter Pro for a little over a year. The Jet is much quieter than the PSI, and things SEEM to run a little more accurately that on the PSI, but not by much. The PSI is a great value for a first lathe, and the Jet is a very good mini/midi lathe. Can't speak to the Vicmark; I don't know of TOO many people here who use one.

RogerGarrett

Originally posted by chigdon
<br />I will NEVER get rid of my Jet mini, and don't know anyone who ever has. The Rikon looks real good though. For the sale price the General is nice too.

I got rid of my Jet Mini Lathe.......so now you know one person.

But I really don't count because I wish I hadn't sold it and ended up getting another one - this time the variable speed model!

Best,
Roger Garrett[}:)][;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom