Bandsaw Blade Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Sigh, first off, I didn't get hurt so that is good.

I tried to cut a round branch of wood on my bandsaw. Contacting an uneven surface, the wood jerked from my hands and put an uneven area in my blade. It still cuts straight, but leaves a very rough surface. Turning the blade by hand, I see one small area with a wobble to it. The blade is a Timberwolf 1/2 inch blade with 3 TPI.

The question is this: Is there anyway to straighten the bent area of the blade or do I need to give up and get a new blade? Normally I wouldn't worry, but the blade is pretty new and I hate to waste it.

TIA,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pete00

Not sure if you can do the same thing .

I bent a jig saw blade once in a similar situation. Took the blade off and squeezed in a hand vice a few times.
It worked for that....

glad you werent hurt.

pete

darbytee

William, William, I just posted about doing this same thing two weeks ago, except I bent my blade beyond repair. Next time use a small wedge in the open space under the front edge of the round log.

Glad you didn't get hurt.[:)]

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Gary Max
<br />The answer is NO---it will not cut straight again.
Oh beating on the blade with a hammer----not good for the steel.

Replacement not good for the pocketbook. This was after about 30 seconds cutting with a new blade. I use for resawing, rough sides are acceptable.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />Is there anyway to straighten the bent area of the blade or do I need to give up and get a new blade?

Throw away the blade. It is an accident waiting to happen.
I did the very same thing you described with the first cut of a brand new timberwolf blade. I have mine hanging right over the saw with a little note that says " stupidity will cost you" to remind me. I now use wooden vee blocks or triangular pieces of wood held on with band clamps when I make cuts on round stock.

I know it's a hard lesson learned but for your safety make it a lesson learned.

byounghusband

Don't chance another "accident" that could be worse. You have all your digits, so toss that one and remember, from now til the end of the year, Suffolk Machinery has a one-time deal on TimberWolf blades. Buy 5 and get 20% off the order. Taht's like a blade free....[;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom