Violin from a screen door and piece of firewood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from GRadem

GRadem

I really did build this out of a screen door board and a slice of log that looked like firewood. I came across a book on how to build your own violin and it perked my interest. I had a screen door project that was not put together yet and the grain of the wood looked like what was in the book.. I then ordered a piece of figured maple that came just like a wedge of firewood.
I had never carved anything before so I had to buy chisels and learn to carve to finish the neck.. Though I have built a lot of things, I had never built an instrument before and the ironic thing is that I am not musically inclined and I have never played an instrument of any kind.
To this day have not played the violin.. I have had several good violinist's play it just to hear what it sounds like. A professional violin maker saw it, said it is quite valuable and asked if I want to sell it, I told him no because it was the only one I will ever make.. It is the hardest thing I have ever made

Attachments

• violin web.jpg
    violin web.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 643
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GRadem

It was a book I found at Rockler years ago.. I think it was a simple title like "How to build your own violin.. I did find a better book at a metro library it was old but that was even better, I can't remember the name.. This is a Stradavarius design.

kludge77

That is stunning. Quite a testament to your woodworking skills.

I hope you have a recording of how it sounds. (if not you should make one.) If I made it there would be a part of me that would want to sell it, only so that I could say it was being used. That would be so gratifying to know that you created something that could make beautiful music.

Very impressive!

Robert111

I can't express how envious I am. My grandfather played a "fiddle" and I've always wanted to build one, but never wanted to invest all that time and effort, though I've contemplated it many times. You did it! I salute you! Wonderful!

paintspill

i'm currently building an acoustic guitar and as hard as that is it is no where near as hard as a violin. i have done tons of research on violin making so i know every step and i know how hard and how much work is involved. very well done. its beautiful. maybe i'll try one, one day. and ya gotta love those tiny violin makers planes.

GRadem

I do have an 7 minute audio clip of the very first time it was tuned and played by a fiddler from a bluegrass group. She played with the violins range and excerpts from her favorite songs. I anyone wants to have me email it to them just PM me with an email address. It is pretty cool.

ilikewood

I restored several violins before I tried this project (I think I have the same book). Definitely a serious woodworking project and I am still working on mine. I'm not sure I have the patience to finish mine though.....yours sure looks super. Great work!

corian king

Beautiful Work! A real masterpiece.I'm like one of the other posters.I think I would have to learn to play even something simple just so I could say I did it.

thewishman

Greg, my wife and I are listening to the audio - what an awesome piece of work! How cool - find a book and make a violin - and it works and sounds great. Thanks for sharing!

alphageek

Former Moderator
WOW!!! To make something that impressive w/o knowing how to play. That will make for some fun stories when you show it off! Its really a thing of beauty and it must be fun to let someone else play it, even if you don't know how.

GRadem

I am happy those who asked me to email an audio clip liked it!
Sometimes I just take the violin out and look at it. I will learn to play it someday.

Top Bottom