My first pendant

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from robutacion

robutacion

Hi peoples,

I purchase a pendant maker jig some time ago (couple of years, I reckon) and I never felt the urge to make pendants, even tough I have made lots of pendants blanks, either wood or resin solid or mixed with other stuff.

A few weeks ago, and while making my last batch of the Palm root blanks, my last pour was a green colour one and I over mixed the resin amounts, leaving me a bit that was just too much to throw away so, and being in this situation before, I like to have handy some of those take away souse containers that are great as they don't stick to the PR, and can make some interesting discs that you can either use singly or use for various left over pours, giving you a combination of colours...!

Is this case, and after pouring the left over resin, I had about 1/2" of thickness in that 2" round container that I put a side for some time.
A couple of days ago, I was down in the work-shop/she, late in the evening and in my pyjamas, just looking around as I often do when I spotted that container with that left over green resin and some how, I got itchy to do something with it and a pendant was a obvious choice so, I got that unused pendant maker tool/chuck, some 2 side tape and I was on my way...!

I did not have any design or pattern in mind, I simply started buy turning a face round and smooth, then create a couple of undulations, change the plate settings for off-centre cutting and using the partition tool mainly, I made a couple of cuts and stopped the lathe to see what I had. I was not the least worried about the possibility of destroying this piece of resin or do something very "fugly" :eek::wink:

I did liked what I seen so I sanded and polish it. Didn't know what to use as a string so I though of a pack of glass strings (12) that I got to keep from loosing my glass all the time, they were cheap and nasty so not that strong but, do the job.
Got one of them and them though on what to use to attach the 2 together (pendant and string) and that's when I though of a O'ring...:biggrin:

Got inside the house an hour later or so, with the wife having no idea what I was up to so, I got around her, seated on the couch and put the pendant around her neck and said "Happy birthday, Mum" as I call her...!:biggrin:

She loved it and next day, while in town doing some shopping, I spotted her showing this pendant to some people she knew, that was nice to see...!

I like to know that I can still get a few ":biggrin::wink:points" every so often...!

What do you're reckon...???

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 101_1935.JPG
    101_1935.JPG
    200.4 KB · Views: 298
  • 003a.jpg
    003a.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 283
  • 002a.jpg
    002a.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 242
  • 001a.jpg
    001a.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 276
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gallianp

Your pendants look great !! I think they are fun to make but I have slowed down making them because I am sure my friends are now tired of receiving them as presents. LOL

Super Dave

Great job, it looks like your off to a great start. My daughter, and her friends grab them as fast as I make them. They are very popular.

Dave

alphageek

Former Moderator
Excellent use of the offset chuck!! The amount of 3d aspect of it is impressive. I tend to go thinner total and thus don't have the room for this type of depth - I'm going to have to rethink that! Thanks for sharing!

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Much better then my first pendant, great job. Nice idea on going a bit on the thicker side to allow for interesting features.

JMCU

I would be interested in seeing the pendant jig. Good job on the pendant BTW.

Last edited:

robutacion

I would be interested in seeing the pendant jig. Good job on the pendant BTW.

Well, you should be one of the few IAP members that hasn't got this pendant making tool here, it sold like wild fire when was introduced and everyone got one as the price was very fair for what you get. Many may never use it and some may take some time before they do but, we all thought that was a great thing to have for "one day...!":wink::biggrin:

Thanks also everyone for the compliments, I was quite pleased with it, myself also...!

PS: Was the thickness I had in the blank (left-over pour) that gave the idea to groove deep...!

Cheers
George

Ruth Niles

George, you did a great job and I love the deeper detail. Would it be ok if I put this picture on my website on the pendant gallery page?

Also, anyone else who would like a picture of the pendants they have created can send them to me. I would like to fill the page with ideas, just like the stopper gallery page.

Ruth
www.torne-lignum.com

philb

Great Pendant, really like the grooves!

I've just got my pendant backer jig, and can agree that they are a great piece of kit. Especially for the price! Just got to find a nice way of holding it on the lathe!

JMCU

George
I am fairly new here so i probably missed out on the deal, but I did a search on the offset chuck here and got the picture of its capability and it would do perfectly for some of the things i have invisioned.

robutacion

George, you did a great job and I love the deeper detail. Would it be ok if I put this picture on my website on the pendant gallery page?

Also, anyone else who would like a picture of the pendants they have created can send them to me. I would like to fill the page with ideas, just like the stopper gallery page.

Ruth
www.torne-lignum.com

G'day Ruth,

Sure mare, you can use the pictures, thanks for asking, tough...!

Cheers
George

bitshird

Great Pendant, really like the grooves!

I've just got my pendant backer jig, and can agree that they are a great piece of kit. Especially for the price! Just got to find a nice way of holding it on the lathe!

The PSI Bottle Stopper jig is perfect, I'm not sure if PSI ships to the UK or not, but Wood N Whimsies also carries them they are 1 inch 8 internal thread for the lathe spindle and 3/8 16 male thread that connects to the Pendant Backer, Ruth Niles may also have them. They were pretty reasonable as well.

Top Bottom