Veterans, Just Curious

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chiefgreen

I know this doesn't exactly count but i will be enlisting in the Military within 2 months of graduating high school and i will try to become a Marine and if that doesn't work out a navy engineer will do me good as well.

To all who serve have served and have died serving you are honorable and noble people and i hope to join in your ranks and bring you respect and honor.

Caden, best of luck to you. Make boot camp a bit easier on yourself, get in shape now; run, push-ups, run, pull-ups, run, sit ups and did I say run? You will do it! Remember nothing is personal you need to change how you think and do things. Listen to what is taught to you. If you go on line to the Marine site, it will tell you what to expect at boot camp - kinda :)-
OOH-RAH

renowb

USAF looks kinda outnumbered so I'll pitch in:

USAF - 1968-1975
Airborne Weapons Tech / Spectre AC-130H gunships

Awesome gunships! I used to watch the helos at Ft Hood 71-73 let off their mini guns. I would hate to be under one of those monsters! The Spookys could really tear stuff up!

burr

It seems that we have a lot of Veterans from the 60s and 70s, for those who were in the Service during that time, I am a designer for the company who bought the type certificate for the old CH54As and Bs.

dogcatcher

Awesome gunships! I used to watch the helos at Ft Hood 71-73 let off their mini guns. I would hate to be under one of those monsters! The Spookys could really tear stuff up!

You should see how awesome they are when there was NVA an VC coming through the wire and those mini guns went to work. Nothing but a stream of red coming down within a few yards of us. They saved us more than once.

renowb

You should see how awesome they are when there was NVA an VC coming through the wire and those mini guns went to work. Nothing but a stream of red coming down within a few yards of us. They saved us more than once.

10-4 on that!

aweiss44

my father was a marine. served in vietnam as a crew chief on 53s, serving from 66-70, honorably discharged as a sgt.

nowadays he has formed a group of veterans and volunteers from all branches to restore an h34 (which had been in there squadron in country) from a junkyard piece of scrap to a fly memorial. here is there site if anyones interested.http://34restoration.org
from time to time they go across country to various air shows etc, but since it's all non-profit and donation driven, they don't get to travel that much due to overwhelming operating costs.

flyitfast

Military Servce

USAF(Ret) - 1960-1980 Comm/Crypto and Electronics Maintenance. Time in USA, Phillipines, Italy, and England.
Proud to have served with those at the time and grateful for those protecting our country in the present.
Wouldn't trade the experience for anything.
g.:usflag:

Last edited:

renowb

so sad to hear these stories. same thing happened to my father. makes me sick to my stomach everytime I hear someone say it.

Not to open up old wounds, but I had just got home from Basic training standing outside the Greyhound bus station in downtown Houston in my uniform when a car load of hippies drove by a shouted Hey Baby Killer! Don't think that would happen nowadays, or at least I hope not.

People don't understand the sacrifices these soldiers are going through, not only them, but their families too. Whenever I'm in a store and see veterans, old or young, I walk up and shake their hand and thank them for their service.

ribanett

USAF 66-80, 68-71 AC-47D Spooky driver all over VN. Drop a rack of MK-24 flares, come around and let the lightshow begin. I am proud to this day of the support all Spooky crews gave to our ground troops.

I was never spit on, but in 69 in SF, a girl threw red ink all over my uniform and called me a "MF Baby Killer"

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Ironic

Wow what great response we are getting in just a few hours. I guess I should have also ask that If you were in service in another allied country please also leave a post.

Keep it up folks.

Believe it or not the A-10 I fell off of during the Ice Storm was in Central Louisiana. Safety was not on the top of the list when they ask us to climb on top of the A-10 Wing and sweep the ice off. Spent 7 days in the hospital and wound up having 3 back surgeries and a leg surgery.

I had a first cousin who was the flight engineer on a B24 flying missions over Germany in WW II. He finished 20 odd flights (I think 25 was where they sent you home) and the war in Europe ended. He was returned to the States and was waiting to get assigned to the Pacific when the war ended. Still assigned to Bombers while he was waiting for discharge, he fell off the wing of a B24 and was killed October 1945...a month after Japan signed the formal surrender.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Aha----DLG-6

USN, FTM2 SW; (Fire Control Tech Electronics, Surface Warfare) 1976 - 1982 DDG-37 USS Farragut. People ask what was it like, I tell them put a wine bottle cork in the bathtub with a 3 year old and that is what I rode. Tore up my knees, and they said time for you to leave the service.
Thanks to all

I remember that ship....joined the fleet as DLG-6 which was "Destroyer Leader" although officially it might have been Frigate...I think eventually her homeport was Mayport FL which was my last homeport. I was in the first Destroyer Division to be homeported there.

US Navy 1965 - 1969, AT2 repaired ECM, radar, navigation computer and crypto stuff.

I'm proud to say every generation of my family back to my great-great-great grandfather served. My ancestor joined the Union Army at age 45 leaving his wife and 5 children to tend the farm.

Tony, you and the country are welcome.

Larry

chiefgreen

WHOHOO! Finally! I made it. Thanks Chief.

Now let the games begin!! You are about to begin one of the most rewarding, exciting and frustrating times of your life. CPO initiation. Tell your sponsor to send me and the other Chiefs here on the forum a page from your "book" to sign. :) Have fun, be patient. You are (or will be soon) The Chief. You can't say "I am new", you must have the answer or know where to go to get the answer. You will now have many new brothers that will come to your aid. How many times did you hear "Go ask the Chief"? You didn't hear "Go ask the Chief that has been a Chief for more than a year". "Take care of your people, they will take care of you"!

Find AceMrFixIt's sign on and look closely at his "avatar and sign of picture. They are on each one of his posts. You will soon know what the words on them mean.

How I envy you Jason!

Please stay in touch

Wow thought was going to be the oldest man here, USMC 67-1993 retired MGYSGT.

USN 1960-1964.. stationed on Guam and USS Finch DER328 out of SF/Treasure island.. Radioman 2nd... I was discharged/separated 8 days after Vietnam was declared an "Official police action"... makes me a 'Nam vet by 8 days..

I was stationed on Guam with a Wildman..don't remember his first name now or where he was from...

Last edited:

WHSKYrvr1

USAF 1984-2004, Stationed in Panama for Operation Just Cause, Done time in "The Lick" in Turkey. After 20 Years, 7 Days and 3 hours as an Egress Tech I had to hang up my Hat.

MDEdwards

I am a USAFRes MSgt, Currently serving in "an undisclosed location in Asia". Started in 1972 as an combat engineer and am now an Aeromedical Evacuation crewmember. Possibly the oldest flying med-tech in theater. Been in a lot of 'current events'.
Please don't forget that we are at war.
We will not forget September 11, 2001

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Memory Lapse

USN 1960-1964.. stationed on Guam and USS Finch DDR128 out of SF/Treasure island.. Radioman 2nd... I was discharged/separated 8 days after Vietnam was declared an "Official police action"... makes me a 'Nam vet by 8 days..

I was stationed on Guam with a Wildman..don't remember his first name now or where he was from...
Ya must be gettin' old....USS Finch was DER 328.....

bruce119

USMC E-5 SGT Navy Base Phila., PA 1975-1981 Honorable discharge 6 yr. res. 2 year class C inactive.

Now this brings up a sour taste and a sore subject. I did not see any active duty during my time. The closest we came was the Iran crises and was on stand by but never called.

Now talk about a government plan. I did my time 6 years even reuped 2 years class C inactive. Got an honorable discharge never thought much of it about 15 years ago I go to buy my first house. The Realtor say you should have Vet. benefits WRONG turns out I don't qualify for any benefits at all. I even went to the vet admin back then to check. I have gotten copies of all my paper work saved in micro film.

Turns out that reservist that did there minimum 6 year time came up just short of the required time for benefits. Something like 10 DAYS short so if you were to just do 2 more weeks you would have qualified. Even if you were activated just once.

Now this is not my fault it was peace time (Thankfully) but this certainly was not explained to us. Now if I was in now you bet your but I would be over there.

Talk about a government plan how many thousands that where ready, willing & able. and then forgotten.

Well that's my rant.

I am still proud to be a Marine oohraa
Oh I did boot at Parris Island back when they shot live ammo over your head and threw live handgrands.

rjwolfe3

USMC E-5 SGT Navy Base Phila., PA 1975-1981 Honorable discharge 6 yr. res. 2 year class C inactive.

Now this brings up a sour taste and a sore subject. I did not see any active duty during my time. The closest we came was the Iran crises and was on stand by but never called.

Now talk about a government plan. I did my time 6 years even reuped 2 years class C inactive. Got an honorable discharge never thought much of it about 15 years ago I go to buy my first house. The Realtor say you should have Vet. benefits WRONG turns out I don't qualify for any benefits at all. I even went to the vet admin back then to check. I have gotten copies of all my paper work saved in micro film.

Turns out that reservist that did there minimum 6 year time came up just short of the required time for benefits. Something like 10 DAYS short so if you were to just do 2 more weeks you would have qualified. Even if you were activated just once.

Now this is not my fault it was peace time (Thankfully) but this certainly was not explained to us. Now if I was in now you bet your but I would be over there.

Talk about a government plan how many thousands that where ready, willing & able. and then forgotten.

Well that's my rant.

I am still proud to be a Marine oohraa
Oh I did boot at Parris Island back when they shot live ammo over your head and threw live handgrands.

That's strange, I did my six with the National Guard and I qualified. Maybe things have changed since then?

IPD_Mrs

All these posts and CAV is MIA. So for those of you who do not know Cav has a little navy time. Wouldn't surprise me if his first duty station was on Old Ironsides. :devil:

chiefgreen

I am a USAFRes MSgt, Currently serving in "an undisclosed location in Asia". Started in 1972 as an combat engineer and am now an Aeromedical Evacuation crewmember. Possibly the oldest flying med-tech in theater. Been in a lot of 'current events'.
Please don't forget that we are at war.
We will not forget September 11, 2001

Thanks for still being there Mike! Don't worry, here is one vet that will not forget and to remain thankful, and in prayer, for the troops serving and sacrificing today! It is a shame that people have to be reminded, "hey, we are still at war" It happened once, I will do my best to not let it happen again.

Top Bottom