vertical mill questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

As always...looking at options. There is this, same company as my lathe, has a dovetail column and runs on single phase which to me is a major bonus.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gear-Head-Vertical-Mill-Drill-Milling-Machine-36-X-33-/380254011345?pt=BI_Mills

There is this machine, not a dovetail column, but it is less than 150 miles from 48827 , it is used, only 300 lbs and looks like it has a motorized cross slide table, and don't know if the first machine has that. This machine is unfortunately a 3 phase and it seems overpriced, as I have to bring in a converter or something like that, and there are way bigger machines in my zip code 150-200 mile range that are cheaper, but also bigger means way more shop space and I don't want a 20,000 lb machine. Seems unlikely...but actually for a couple grand there are some 20,000 lb machines available in my area.

Check this out please. http://cgi.ebay.com/ECONOM-ip-380-1...E-AUSTRIA-/330457934668?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

I can't find any info on this machine.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

Jeff I'd go with the Bolton, Emco Meyer makes some very good light to medium duty equipment, but I think I'd rather have the 2 HP motor and the Dovetail column,on the Bolton.
Round columns are notorious form getting knocked out of position, besides the Bolton uses an R-8 spindle which is much easier to find tooling for.

gr8danish

Both points are valid.... I use a Jet JMD-18. It has a cylindrical column, so everytime I change the height of the head (which isn't all that often) I have to re-center the machine. I have since made a small jig to aide in this process, but none-the-less it is one more step that must be done prior to making more sawdust.

R-8 FTW!!! R-8 collets and tooling are a dime a dozen. Easy to find cheap old Bridgeport tooling on eBay or Craigslist that still hold true to .0005 TIR.

workinforwood

yea...ok, that was always my concern with cylindrical columns. The Bolton machine looks like just a slightly better model than the HF machines. I'm sure over time I can buy a motor to run the slide if I even find that to be necessary at all. There are so many options out there it's ridiculous.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
You are very sleepy. Think availability to CNC conversion and availability of rotary axis. Could be your next purchase.

Paul in OKC

Have a look at Grizzly. Looks about the same as the first one. I had a round column mill for a while, and did not have much trouble at all with it. For light duty things it worked very well, and did more than I thought it would.

Top Bottom