Vertex Click Disassembly?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russknan

Last night, I finished my first Vertex Click. Put a very pretty piece of crosscut Eastern Red Cedar on it (thank you, Scott!) This morning, in better light, I'm not happy with the finish. Think I got a little too heavy-handed with the buffer after the CA/BLO. So I want to use my Penn State disassembly set to take it apart. But then, there's the matter of the plastic click mechanism. Any bets on whether I can pull this off - as opposed to killing a $10 kit? Suggestions? If the kit's gotta die, it's gotta die. Some people wouldn't notice the flaws, but I've raised my standards since I started. Russ

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

flyitfast

Not that I have ever had to disassemble one for an "oopsie" or anything :biggrin:.
However, I "am told" that removing the nib piece and then using a small punch from a punch set and tapping (carefully!) up thru the tube around the edges of the clicker assembly, it can be worked out of the tube. Another approach would be to use a larger punch and grind a small ledge on the end and put that ledge on the bottom of the assembly to ease it out tapping on the other end of the punch.

Good luck - it can be done.
gordon

Rodnall

I hope you can. I made my first one in a hurry and the more I look at the acrylic blank, the more I want to dis-assemble and use a different blank.

Jim Burr

Banned
I'd like to see the results of this one...I'm still trying to figure the removal of the click side given all the plastic hanging down

Russknan

Well, I'm a little late getting back to this thread, and I missed the last two helpful posts. :-( However, I managed to pull it out of my . . . er . . . pocket? Had the clicker unclicked, unscrewed the nib, used the largest punch that just fit inside, and used my Penn State disassembly set (punch and vinyl-clad vise grips) and tapped that booger out. No damage! I'm in the middle of several projects, so it will probably take me a few more days to take a picture and post it here . . . but I will! Russ

Top Bottom