Vendor Catalog Poll & Comments

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Do you like the concept of "Vendor Catalogs"?

• Yes, I like the idea. Keep it!

Votes: 224 91.8%
  • No, I don't like the idea. Pitch it!

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • I don't care. I'd never look at them.

Votes: 16 6.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
A couple weeks ago I asked what you all thought about the concept of "Vendor Catalogs" as a section of The Marketplace. The discussion gave me the impression that it might be worth a try.

So, I asked for vendors to volunteer to set up sample catalogs. 11 vendors expressed interest, and 9 came through with samples. They've been working on their catalogs for about a week, out of public view, and now it's time to have a look at their work and decide if this is something we want to keep.

Please visit the Vendor Catalog Forum and have a look at the catalogs.

Leave me your comments below, and please vote in the poll. Please comment on the concept, not on specific vendor catalogs.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I voted keep it. I'm not sure I would use it often but for those who need to it seems to put it in a easy to find place.

steeler fan1

I personally don't really care. I have in my favorites list most vendors. When looking for something I either know who I buy from or I go to specific web sites. Would appear if I was ordering something I'd need to go to that web site anyway? As I said, matters not to me.

Carl

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
As always, anyone who has comments they'd prefer not to post is most welcome to PM me.

Please VOTE!

KnB Polymers

I like it of course, but curious about one thing ... are the catalogs supposed to be a generalization of your website or specials etc so people can buy right here on IAP without having to go to the websites?

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I like it of course, but curious about one thing ... are the catalogs supposed to be a generalization of your website or specials etc so people can buy right here on IAP without having to go to the websites?

Content is completely up to the vendor.

ctubbs

Jeff, thank you for another great idea! The current catalogs not only give an idea of what each vendor offers, but on occasion, even a short history or reason for their business. Being able to stay on site and click from one vendor to another without having to search out individual sites is very helpful for us 'senior' citizens as well as the newer members who may be unfamiliar with our valued vendor members. As I said, great idea and thank you.

Getting closer to the 1 meg number.
Charles

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Jeff, thank you for another great idea! The current catalogs not only give an idea of what each vendor offers, but on occasion, even a short history or reason for their business. Being able to stay on site and click from one vendor to another without having to search out individual sites is very helpful for us 'senior' citizens as well as the newer members who may be unfamiliar with our valued vendor members. As I said, great idea and thank you.

Getting closer to the 1 meg number.
Charles

Thanks, Charles. I agree, that forum certainly has some interesting possibilities. I hadn't thought how helpful it might be to new members. Once we "officially" open that forum, I'll put a link to it in the PM that goes to new members. One of the most frequent questions we get from new members is where to get all their stuff!

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
As a member - I like the vendor catalogs, Jeff - they're a nice, unobtrusive advertising list in which I can easily find info and items if I want to look for them. Thumbs up!

As a moderator, I'd like to mention that Jeff is asking for input on the catalogs - not a discussion about who comes after who in the phonebook, moderation concerns, etc.

To keep a derailment from occurring, please PM concerns or questions about moderation to the moderation team, and/or Jeff himself.

Andrew
assistant moderator

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
If I get a vote....

I like it. I was one of those who specifically asked for it and I'm happy to see it happen. As to position in the list.....I suggest the vendors live with it, and before somebody climbs on my butt about that ---- check the position I currently occupy in the list.

SDB777

Question:

Will this be replacing the 'classifieds' for these members? And what is the cost of doing a 'catalog?

Scott (I'll wait for answer b4 voting) B

alphageek

Former Moderator
I like it. I was one of those who specifically asked for it and I'm happy to see it happen. As to position in the list.....I suggest the vendors live with it, and before somebody climbs on my butt about that ---- check the position I currently occupy in the list.

Smitty - just change your name, its not like you have had it that long, right? :biggrin:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
AARON-5276

Smitty - just change your name, its not like you have had it that long, right? :biggrin:
Yea, I was 2 maybe 3 days old before anyone even called me Smitty.

Who said I'm not going to change it ----Aal, Aam, Aaron, Aardvark, Aardwolf....they all work...I could be worse though, there's the guy I knew when I was in the Navy, his name was Zyzyk or Zyzyck. Always knew his place in the pay line.

Last edited:

IPD_Mrs

Who said I'm not going to change it ----Aal, Aam, Aaron, Aardvark, Aardwolf....they all work...I could be worse though, there's the guy I knew when I was in the Navy, his name was Zyzyk or Zyzyck. Always knew his place in the pay line.

If it's a vote Smitty I like this one:

Aardwolf

Linda

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Next Market research

If it's a vote Smitty I like this one:

Aardwolf

Linda

Maybe I'll make that the subject of my next market research poll:tongue:

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Question:

Will this be replacing the 'classifieds' for these members? And what is the cost of doing a 'catalog?

Scott (I'll wait for answer b4 voting) B

It is not intended to replace the classifieds. A vendor could choose to use it instead of or in conjunction with the classifieds.

If we implement this, the cost will be close to:
  • 1 month $10,
  • 3 months $25
  • 6 months $45
  • 12 months $85
What this would buy is the ability to post one catalog thread and edit it for the time period of the subscription. If the subscription lapses, the catalog disappears. Pretty simple!

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Regarding the order of listing threads in the forum, there isn't much I can do about it from the server side. The user can choose a variety of sort methods to override the default. I can't force them to appear in any particular order.

attachment.php

The current forum-wide default is last post time, which in the case of threads which don't have replies is the original post time. Editing a post does not change that. I think the most fair way in that forum is to set the default to alphabetical, but again, realize that the user can change it.

If vendors have the right words in their ad, the "Search This Forum" function is very effective.

Personally, and I know that some vendors agree with me, I don't believe that the position in an alphabetical list makes a whole lot of difference. However I understand that some do feel it makes a difference, so I am more than open to suggestions, keeping in mind that there are technical limitations I can't easily get around. For example; "Just randomize the order once a month" sounds nice and easy, but there is no mechanism to do that.

The bottom line is that there is no requirement to use the catalog forum :biggrin: Anyone who feels they won't be getting a fair shake due to the sort order should not partake.

Attachments

• threadsort.jpg
    threadsort.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 347

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
OK by me

I'm with you on this one Jeff....of 9 catalogs listed my name is 9th I am 5th in visits and very close to the same number of visits as the person appearing 4th (and also the person appearing 6th). Some. I personlly would expect to have more visitors and some less based on what we sell.

Most people do not spend near as much time shopping for kits as they do blanks so sellers who feature a lot of blanks wiil, in my opinion, have more visitors.

Those selling a larger variety of kits will probably have more than someone like myself with limited offerings. That's just life as it is....we need to just accept that and get on with it (life). It's too short to waste it worrying about nonsense.

IPD_Mrs

As a vendor: I don't really know what I think at this point. Given that we are having a Thanksgiving special going at this time I have no real way of telling what traffic is coming in due to the catalog (just bad timing for the holiday no one's fault and no complaint really - simple statement of fact). I have to believe that those of you who like it will use it, those who don't - obviously won't. Those who use classifieds, will continue to do that most likely. Others will go by word of mouth. I personally think we all have our favored way of finding out where to get the products we like the best - and then there those who will search for items based on the fact that they see them mentioned in a tutorial and need them to try a new technique etc.

I guess what I am saying is - there is no ONE PERFECT method of advertising because none of us are the same, we all shop differently the same as we all learn differently. Therefore I expect to have to take part in multiple ways of advertising - or limit myself based upon those ways that I do decide to participate in. Also, I am saying that I haven't developed a definitive opinion on the catalog simply because of the timing of my adding it along with the time of year falling at the same time as the annual Black Friday Blast off. I hope to get a better feel for this approach though once that has ended.

I do like having put this catalog together - it's been fun to do and I think I will keep it on hand for those who at times will send me a question and follow up with "do you have a catalog I can look through?" This will come in handy in the long run I think!

Just my 1/2 cent worth (inflation you know.)

Linda

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
...I guess what I am saying is - there is no ONE PERFECT method of advertising because none of us are the same, we all shop differently the same as we all learn differently. Therefore I expect to have to take part in multiple ways of advertising - or limit myself based upon those ways that I do decide to participate in....

I agree! :biggrin:

The idea of the catalog forum was to provide one more arrow in the quiver for our vendors. We're fortunate to have the whole spectrum of vendors here, from small shops to big operations, and we want to make it easy for all sellers to reach their buyers, and all buyers to get their hands on the goods.

I hope it works out for those who use it, and I look forward to hearing ideas for improvement from both sides of the transaction.

flyitfast

:hammer: Nail it!! I like it. Any time we can give our member vendors availability to us and us to them is a big+. They contribute as much as most to the learning experience and we can pay that back supporting them. Besides, I like a lot of their "stuff" and will know where to easily find them.
gordon

OKLAHOMAN

Clowns?Clowns?, those just happen to be big shoes and my nose is not that red!!! Clowns indeed, humph!!!!

tim self

Clowns?Clowns?, those just happen to be big shoes and my nose is not that red!!! Clowns indeed, humph!!!!

Maybe all the fish in one barrel?? I see I cannot win with my analogies. Not meaning any offence just light hearted jesting. I appreciate everything the vendors do for this great site.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
My vote is to keep it..!!..I love browsing and don't always have access to a print catalog, but might be sitting in front of a computer instead...and never know what I might find that I don't need but decided that I can't live without..!!

OKLAHOMAN

Maybe all the fish in one barrel?? I see I cannot win with my analogies. Not meaning any offence just light hearted jesting. I appreciate everything the vendors do for this great site.

Fish?..........well maybe...:rolleyes: some of us vendors do give off a fishy odor at times:wink:

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Jeff,
Just explored every catalog and I like it! Great idea for those hunting for an item and can't remember the thread they saw it in. Vendors have made a great contribution to this pen turning community and I think this is a great idea for them and for us in the IAP. It's a win, win! Thanks.

Steve Busey

Yes, I like the idea of having all the venfors in one place. Not sure how I'll feel once the venue gets crowded into 3 or 4 screens, though... :confused:

Top Bottom