Vacuum Chuck?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Banjo

Anyone here use one ? Imput needed been thinking on it now
For sometime. And can I make one or buy it cheaper.
Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

When I first started turning years ago I thought a vacuum chuck might be useful. Never got one and at this point I honestly can't think of a reason why I would ever need one. If you plan to be a production turner making simple thick salad bowls from the same type of dense wood (e.g. maple) then maybe a vacuum setup might save a minute or two here and there. For one off pieces, especially if you start to do a lot of artistic embellishments or ultra thin turnings, a vacuum chuck will either be more trouble than it's worth or it just won't work.

People I know that set up vacuum chucks seem to eventually stop using them and sell the stuff off for cheap. So if you have a local turning club you might be able to get what you need at a pretty good discount.

The biggest expense in setting one up will be the vacuum pump. You don't want to use the same type of cheap vacuum pump that is used for casting. There are lots of plans on the web for making the actual chuck from hardware store stuff.

If it were me, I would spend my money on something else. Just my opinion.

Ed

Last edited:

Banjo

When I first started turning years ago I thought a vacuum chuck might be useful. Never got one and at this point I honestly can't think of a reason why I would ever need one. If you plan to be a production turner making simple thick salad bowls from the same type of dense wood (e.g. maple) then maybe a vacuum setup might save a minute or two here and there. For one off pieces, especially if you start to do a lot of artistic embellishments or ultra thin turnings, a vacuum chuck will either be more trouble than it's worth or it just won't work.

People I know that set up vacuum chucks seem to eventually stop using them and sell the stuff off for cheap. So if you have a local turning club you might be able to get what you need at a pretty good discount.

The biggest expense in setting one up will be the vacuum pump. You don't want to use the same type of cheap vacuum pump that is used for casting. There are lots of plans on the web for making the actual chuck from hardware store stuff.

Ed
thanks Ed I do have a pump that I use for stablizing wood
and that had just crossed my mind. I mainly turn a lot of pot style turkey calls
And thought it may help in how I use it.

philipff

I took mine apart yesterday after many years of non-use. It just took up space. I finish my bowl bottoms on the lathe up to a nib and then cut/sand until smooth off the lathe. Works for me.

juteck

I use mine with bowls and platters routinely. The idea on the pump is different than that of casting. For casting you want to achieve high vacuum. For vac chucking, a lower vacuum will hold your piece if it has high enough air capacity to overcome the air flowing through the wood cells.

Imagine a piece of oak, end grain. It's like a bundle of straws. The air coming through those straws will allow the vacuum to break if you can't overcome it.

I remember a demo by Nick Cook several years ago where he talked about vacuum chucking and vac pump capacity with regards to air flow, and I believe he said, from his experience at that time, a pump capable of achieving 20" Hg vacuum or more at least 3 CFM would be adequate. I'm not positive on those numbers, but will check my pump model when I get home, and find the specs. I know I tried to get as close to that recommendation in my budget that I could.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Ed

I made a homemade vacuum chuck from MDF, a lamp rod, a sheet of closed cell foam, an inexpensive bearing and use my shop vacuum to pull the vac.... work fine as long as the bowl is a good seal on the face plate and isn't too heavy. I'm working on one now that will fit deeper inside the bowl and can be used on natural edged bowls - if I ever do one. :)

lorbay

When you make bowls this big I think a vacuum chuck is a must. I have chucks from 2" to 10" and a vacuum face plate that is 20".

Lin

Attachments

• Roughed out bowls 2.JPG
    Roughed out bowls 2.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 128

NotURMailman

I don't have one, but I can see where it would be handy on large items where you don't want to attach with screws or do a lot of off the lathe finishing work. But, I could be wrong since I haven't done anything big yet.

theidlemind

Those are very large sir. :biggrin:

When you make bowls this big I think a vacuum chuck is a must. I have chucks from 2" to 10" and a vacuum face plate that is 20".

Lin

but seriously, a vacuum chuck is necessary to get to the next level of bowl and platter turning. Allows you to turn and finish without it being obvious how the piece was chucked to the lathe. Much more professional looking work IMVHO.

lorbay

Those are very large sir. :biggrin:

Lin

but seriously, a vacuum chuck is necessary to get to the next level of bowl and platter turning. Allows you to turn and finish without it being obvious how the piece was chucked to the lathe. Much more professional looking work IMVHO.

Yep you can jam chuck, you can make BIG cole jaws, but there is nothing like a vacuum chuck.
Take a look at this from Doug Fisher, pretty hard to do this with a jam chuck.

Lin.

Attachments

• Vacuuming 2011small.pdf
    431.8 KB · Views: 151
Top Bottom