Reclaimed Heartwood Pine from Dallas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fireengines

This wood was reclaimed from a building being demolished in downtown Dallas. According to the contractor, it is Heartwood Pine. I know they are nothing spectacular but the blanks do have some nice looking grain structure. Now I am trying to figure out what pen kit to use.

Attachments

• bag-o-blanks.jpg
    bag-o-blanks.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 394
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fireengines

Correction.....

1601 Elm. Dallas records indicate that it is going to be part of that complex.

Last edited:

Fireengines

Well, like it or not, here is my first pen made out of this reclaimed wood. I know some of you don't like the offsetting material but there was no way I could align the grains. Next time I will use another pen kit, any suggestions?
This was a great pen to turn. The smell of pine filled the shop.

Attachments

• Pine Pen Dallas.jpg
    Pine Pen Dallas.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 111

Fireengines

I was finally able to research the building this wood came from.

According to the Dallas Library, the Praetorian Building was built in 1909. "This 14-story neoclassical style building was the West's first "skyscraper" and was complete with gray granite pillars and terra cotta columns. It was built for the Praetorian Order, a fraternal organization that specialized in insurance and named after the personal guards of Roman emperors until 312 AD." In 1909 it was the tallest building in Texas.

JFK passed this building on November 22, 1963.

Well, like it or not, here is my first pen made out of this reclaimed wood. I know some of you don't like the offsetting material but there was no way I could align the grains. Next time I will use another pen kit, any suggestions?
This was a great pen to turn. The smell of pine filled the shop.

I guess I'm in the minority then... I for one like the off set material look... this one is especially nice. :good:

Top Bottom