USN Retirement Chest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PTownSubbie

PTownSubbie

Been pretty busy lately trying to finish this chest. It is a retirement gift for my boss. I have to finish the shadowbox portion of the chest but couldn't wait to post the pictures. It is made from Cherry with Cherry stain. The hardware was purchased as a kit in Antique Brass finish. The figure on some of the 1/4" inserts is very cool.

I am very pleased with the way this turned out so far. The shadowbox actually is converted from a tray that sits in the top of the chest. You can see the wooden ledges on each side.

I will post pictures of the shadowbox when it is completed also.

This has been keeping me from turning!! Time to finish it so I can get back to it......

Attachments

• IMG_0346.jpg
    IMG_0346.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_0339.jpg
    IMG_0339.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG_0341.jpg
    IMG_0341.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 504
  • IMG_0344.jpg
    IMG_0344.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 331
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Crashmph

very nice... please post the pics when you finish. I was thinking of doing one of these for my self as a shadow box, but in mine I thought about putting a glassed in section in the top of the case for flags.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hey, that is very well made and looks perfectly proportioned.
I like all the hardware you chose for it too.

Last edited:

PTownSubbie

The chest is about 36" x 20" or something close to that. It is really not very heavy at all but takes two people to move it efficiently due to it's size.

Thanks for all the comments. I think it is great when you can finally finish and see the final product.

jleiwig

I love it, but I haven't met a boss yet that I would build something that nice for. Maybe one day when I start working for myself, but then I'll probably hate my boss.

PTownSubbie

Well, the retirement went off with no problems. I have posted some pictures of the finished shadowbox.

My boss and his wife were extremely grateful for what I made for his retirement. It was a big hit and everyone loved it and was surprised that I made it.

Hopefully someone liked it enough to want one when they retire.....

Attachments

• IMG_0368.JPG
    IMG_0368.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_0369.jpg
    IMG_0369.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 420
  • IMG_0370.JPG
    IMG_0370.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 547
Top Bottom