Update on Wine Bottle Stoppers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dalecamino

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
OK Steven demanded individual photos of these stoppers in my original post of four stoppers. Ain't gonna happen Steve! But here are 14 stoppers. All different, because I doubt that I could make two alike.🤨 Each have six coats of wipe on poly. (Watco) I had hoped I would never see another stopper, but there are more daughters and grand daughters around here, who I'm sure will want one. So I ordered more kits from Ruth Niles. The price is right. Enjoy Steven!

Attachments

• DSCF0302.JPG
    DSCF0302.JPG
    157.6 KB · Views: 210
  • DSCF0303.JPG
    DSCF0303.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 206
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bsshog40

Very nice Chuck! Tis the season for wipeon poly now with all this heat. I like the poly finish but doesn't cure very good in the winter.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I didn't doubt you for a second Chuck.... ;) Not only did you complete your mission, you also maintained a stunning finish on every one of them. Well done buddy...:D

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thank you Steven! My first time ever using Wipe on. I was wondering if wet sanding and polishing would provide an even better finish. But I didn't want to risk back tracking. I like wipe on, and still have 1/2 can left.

Very nice Chuck. As for your Wipe on, at worst I would suggest that if you want to make them shinier, which I don't think you can, I would just buff them. But to be honest I think they look just fine the way they are. Very nice work!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Very nice Chuck. As for your Wipe on, at worst I would suggest that if you want to make them shinier, which I don't think you can, I would just buff them. But to be honest I think they look just fine the way they are. Very nice work!
Thanks Tom! Yeah I think that any buffing would be an experiment. These are not to be an experimental project. I think I'll leave well enough alone.😁 Thanks for the tip.

Thank you Steven! My first time ever using Wipe on. I was wondering if wet sanding and polishing would provide an even better finish. But I didn't want to risk back tracking. I like wipe on, and still have 1/2 can left.
I am an almost exclusive user of wipe on poly... I use the oil version, not the water based... I put it on all of my pepper mills, bowls, etc... over two coats of an oil based sanding sealer... I just sand with a high grit sanding disk between coats and usually put about 4 or 5 coats on each piece.
I have tried to buff out pepper mills that have been finished in wipe on poly... I didn't like the results... I used different methods, the red buffing compound (I've lost the name of it in my head... it's so hollow up there may never find it again), followed by the white tripoli, then carnuba wax,
just using the tripoli then carnuba and just using carnuba alone.... none of them gave me any particular improvement in the shine and I actually think it took some of the shine away.... one thing you might try would be a super fine abrasive paste like Yorkshire grit super fine over the finish... have not tried that yet... I make my own version of the abrasive paste that I used over and/or under the sanding sealer... haven't tried it over the wipe on yet.

Your stoppers are really eye catchers as they are.
Good luck

sorcerertd

That is a very nice finish. I'm going to have to try that. I've just started working with bottle stoppers and have discovered that CA is a PITA for the shapes when trying to sand and polish it.

monophoto

I have tried to buff out pepper mills that have been finished in wipe on poly... I didn't like the results... I used different methods, the red buffing compound (I've lost the name of it in my head... it's so hollow up there may never find it again), followed by the white tripoli, then carnuba wax,
just using the tripoli then carnuba and just using carnuba alone.... none of them gave me any particular improvement in the shine and I actually think it took some of the shine away.... one thing you might try would be a super fine abrasive paste like Yorkshire grit super fine over the finish... have not tried that yet... I make my own version of the abrasive paste that I used over and/or under the sanding sealer... haven't tried it over the wipe on yet.

I've had success in buffing solvent-based WOP finishes, both with the traditional three-step (tripoli, white diamond, and carnauba wax) process, and with a polishing paste (I used Dr. Kirk's). But the key is to allow the finish to cure thoroughly before buffing.

Solvent-based WOP dries to the touch in about 12 hours, but it takes several additional days for it to completely cure. If you try to buff before it has cured, the results won't be as good.

I've also been successful in buffing water-based poly finishes, but again, the key is to allow it to cure completely - and that means waiting several days. With water-based poly, if you buff before it has complete cured, the finish will actually peel off the surface and look terrible.

Top Bottom