Two new woods (for me, anyway)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DCBluesman

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
This Atlas is from the incredibly curly oak that low_48 is selling. This piece had less spalt so I selected it for the atlas.
2005228376_SpaltedOakAtlas.jpg

This is from a cypress knee...not quite in the same class as William Cavanaugh's, but it's my first.

20052283839_CypressKneeAtlas.jpg

The cypress knee came from one of these.

2005228399_CK.jpg

Comments are welcome. Critiques are appreciated. Thank you for looking!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

My favorite is the curly oak. It really looks nice. New woods are fun to turn and learn about. I turned some Texas ebony for the first time this afternoon. Bought a plank at the Ft. Worth WC store Saturnday. It is a true ebony and grows in deep south Texas.Your pens look nice Lou, as always.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

woodpens

Nice job, Lou! I am anxious to try some of that spalted curly oak myself. It is outstanding. Those are some pretty knobby knees you have there. [;)]

WoodChucker

Lou, you did a great job on those, I really like both pens. That first knee on the left looks a man with a beard. [:)]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Originally posted by tipusnr
<br />I concur that they are a couple of nice looking pens. How was the cypress to work with?
The cypress is about the easiest wood I've ever worked with. Cut's like warm butter. I used a little shellac to close and pop the open grain. [8D]

Gary

Very nice work, Lou. I remember seeing cypress in desk lamps many years ago. This is the first time I've seen it in a pen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom