Two bracelets today

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gad5264

gad5264

I took my girlfriend with me the other day to WoodCraft and she was looking thru the turning books and saw a few bracelets that she liked and showed them to me. While she was at work today I thought I would surprise her so I made these two for her.

One is Cherry and the other is Texas Ebony. As always, comments and critiques welcome.

Attachments

• Bracelets1.jpg
    Bracelets1.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 249
  • Bracelets2.jpg
    Bracelets2.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 199
  • Bracelets4.jpg
    Bracelets4.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 253
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KiltedGunn

Local Chapter Leader
Uhm...how the Hell???

Looks like fun but having turned only pens, I'm lost when it comes to other stuff.

I'm thinking even "turning between centers" isn't gonna cut it for this! :confused:

mickr

those are fantastic..yes, a mini tutorial would be lovely...the texas ebony is stunning

gad5264

I found this video on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHnusgRHIJA

But here is basically how I made mine.

1. Started with a 3.5" x 3.5" x 1.25" blank.
2. Mounted between centers and turned to a cylinder with a 5/8" bowl gouge and dressed the tailstock face.
3. Chucked it up with #3 Round jaws (outside grip) and dressed the other face.
4. Using a Jacob's chuck, I drilled increasingly larger holes with Forstner's bits until I reached an inside diameter of 2 3/8", I then used my shear scraper to make the inside diameter 2 11/16"
5. Chucked it up with #2 Round jaws (inside grip)
6. Used a bowl gouge, skew chisel, and shear scraper to shape the outside of the bracelet (be sure to roundover the inside lip to avoid a sharp edge there).
7. Reverse-mounted the bracelet to shape the other side.
8. Sanded to 400 grit rotating the bracelet on the chuck for each grit (only a very light grip is needed with the chuck to avoid marring the inside surface).
9. Gave them a coat of spray on Spar varnish, let them hang and air dry, and Beall buffed the bracelets to the final shine.

I'm not really sold on the spar finish but if it doesn't hold up I will try something else. The Texas Ebony one was not intended to be that thin but of course when I chose a bracelet out of her jewelry box to measure, I chose the wrong one. If you try to turn TE, let me tell you it is like turning stone, harder than a rock.

mickr

Top Bottom