TV Shows that were entertaining and Can Not be Matched Today

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

There were many TV shows that just can not be matched today that were just outright entertaining. Some could not be done today because of all the sensitivity groups and what is shown today is trash in my eyes. All these reality shows are a joke. There is maybe a few good entertaining shows today worth watching. See if you agree and maybe add to the list.

Nothing close to the Lawrence Welk Show
The Carol Burnett Show
The Johnny Carson Show
The Laugh-In Shows
The Dean Martin Roasts
Todays Talent Shows (America Got Talent, Britain Got Talent) (others are just copycats)

Woodchipper

We have come up with a good list. I watched so much TV over the years that the sitcoms are so predictable it isn't funny. I watched one several years ago and could tell the entire script...which wasn't funny, anyway.

turncrazy43

The shows today are mostly rehash of old plot lines. They are never as good as the originals. The violence in the new stuff is way out of line. The older comedy shows were funny and not trying to go after someone for spite like todays stuff. Reality TV, there is nothing reality about them. They are all heavily scripted. Not much worth watching anymore if you are over 30. Just my opinion.
Turncrazy43

Curly

When I was a kid Star Trek did it for me. Still does, as do the rest of the ones that followed.
Twilight Zone and Outer Limits too.
Almost forgot. Red Skelton.
And the dusters. Gunsmoke and Bonanza.
Perry Mason.

CREID

Flop Wilson (The Devil made me do it ) :)
Get Smart
Voyage to the bottom of the sea
Lost in Space
The Smothers Brothers
Don Kirshners Rock Concert
Midnight Special

As children my brothers and I loved Lost In Space. Gilligan's Island was a big one as well as Wild Kingdom. When I got a little older Carson just couldn't be beat, and probably never will.

dogcatcher

Look for these channels. METV, INSP, H&I, and Classic Tv. These have a lot of the old TV shows on them. I grew up in the 1950's watching the westerns on Saturday. The old black and white versions of Gunsmoke, Wanted Dead or Alive, Lawman, Lone Ranger, Wells Fargo, and a few others.. I even remember the radio version of Gunsmoke.

The later stuff, like Bonanza, was okay back then, today, I switch the channels.

The Jackie Gleason Show.
Not the Honeymooners, but the weekly variety show that was on either Saturday or Sunday night.
Was broadcast from Miami Beach.
I can still see the image of the Palm Trees...and hear the Big Band Theme Song!

The Andy Williams Christmas specials were always a childhood favorite!

The original Candid Camera with Allen Funt and Derwood Kirby.

Last edited:

TonyL

The Jackie Gleason Show.
Not the Honeymooners, but the weekly variety show that was on either Saturday or Sunday night.
Was broadcast from Miami Beach.
I can still see the image of the Palm Trees...and hear the Big Band Theme Song!

The Andy Williams Christmas specials were always a childhood favorite!

The original Candid Camera with Allen Funt and Derwood Kirby.
Great shows! What ever happened to the King Family?

jttheclockman

Well I was really after the variety type shows when I started this but the shift to some of the old time classics is just fine too because they were of the simple life and no political correctness needed because back then they were censored for obscene language and display of sexuality. Today anything goes and the interracial thing is being played up more and more along with the gay themes in the drama series, comedy series, and other series. Today the amount of violence in these shows make you wonder if this is why the youth is heading in the direction it is and add to that all the video games. Some of the old time comedies really pushed the boundaries that can not be said today without groups yelling and screaming. I am in fact watching the GunSmoke series and also How the West Was Won, and Bonanza, lately. Looking back on some of these old time series is great.

Edgar good one with the Jack Benny show. Forgot that one.

Someone mentioned Hollywood Palace, I have to be honest I do not remember that one. ]

The Smothers Brothers Show was a good one.

I will throw in Hee Haw show.

Curly

I'm surprised that The Ed Sullivan Show hasn't had a mention up until now.
For the Geritol lovers Ted Mack's Amateur Hour. ;)
Not quite regular TV but Walter Cronkite reporting all the early space program missions.

Well I was really after the variety type shows when I started this but the shift to some of the old time classics is just fine too because they were of the simple life and no political correctness needed because back then they were censored for obscene language and display of sexuality. Today anything goes and the interracial thing is being played up more and more along with the gay themes in the drama series, comedy series, and other series. Today the amount of violence in these shows make you wonder if this is why the youth is heading in the direction it is and add to that all the video games. Some of the old time comedies really pushed the boundaries that can not be said today without groups yelling and screaming. I am in fact watching the GunSmoke series and also How the West Was Won, and Bonanza, lately. Looking back on some of these old time series is great.

Edgar good one with the Jack Benny show. Forgot that one.

Someone mentioned Hollywood Palace, I have to be honest I do not remember that one. ]

The Smothers Brothers Show was a good one.

I will throw in Hee Haw show.

The Hollywood Palace was a weekly variety show similar similar to the Ed Sullivan Show.
Popular entertainers of the day mixed with all the unique Acrobat acts and the Plate Spinners, etc.

FGarbrecht

The Hollywood Palace was a weekly variety show similar similar to the Ed Sullivan Show.
Popular entertainers of the day mixed with all the unique Acrobat acts and the Plate Spinners, etc.
Can't say I miss plate-spinning acts from the old days. I would argue that (with a little discernment) it is easier to find good quality TV nowadays than it ever was when I was growing up. I'd rather be reading or making something anyway.....

Top Bottom