Turners Warehouse Dye

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

floatslow

Hello fellow IAP members. As I have been enjoy the hobby more and more, looking for means to expand into it, I have begun perusing the art of casting, I have purchased items from Turners Warehouse in the past, and am checking there site for casting epoxy and dyes. They sell dyes from Alluminite, that are listed differently than the manufacturers. Quite frankly, they strike me as racist. I would love to open it up to forum to provide their input on wether this is a misunderstanding, or as I see it an unfortunate reason to never let that site see another red cent. I would truly appreciate your feedback.

1622162143141.png

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brian G

My understanding is those names used to be the names of Alumilite dyes intended to represent skin pigmentation for casting. Alumilite has changed their product labeling, and it looks like they recently changed the names of those dyes. They are now Tan, Beige, and Dark Brown.

Maybe a polite note to Chad at Turners Warehouse would have been a good first start for correcting the matter. Myriad other sites on the web are still using the old names. I'm not judging, just informing.

Reactions: RKB

floatslow

My understanding is those names used to be the names of Alumilite dyes intended to represent skin pigmentation for casting. Alumilite has changed their product labeling, and it looks like they recently changed the names of those dyes. They are now Tan, Beige, and Dark Brown.

Maybe a polite note to Chad at Turners Warehouse would have been a good first start for correcting the matter. Myriad other sites on the web are still using the old names. I'm not judging, just informing.
Thank you for your input on this. There is a balance of not letting a topic such as this to just slide and bringing awareness to it in a way that it is not so aggressive it disrupts potential change. I had not considered the time stamp of viewing the products on each site. I have sent a note to the site (politely I promise). Either way thank you

Mikeyt

"Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me." That is what my mom taught me. So why boycott a website because of a description of colors for dyes? Just names nothing more. Turners warehouse does a good job you can choose to shop there or not that is your option. But to say, because of a description they are racist, is wrong.
turner's warehouse works hard and does a great job and sells great products for pen turners. So again how is a name hurtful to you or are you so easily offended

floatslow

"Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me." That is what my mom taught me. So why boycott a website because of a description of colors for dyes? Just names nothing more. Turners warehouse does a good job you can choose to shop there or not that is your option. But to say, because of a description they are racist, is wrong.
turner's warehouse works hard and does a great job and sells great products for pen turners. So again how is a name hurtful to you or are you so easily offended
Hi Mikeyt, you certainly have a perspective on how this may be viewed. I have purchased from said vendor previously with a very favorable experience. The taunt you suggest of not being so easily offended is not the point of the matter. What I have appreciated from the IAP is the mindfulness of the guest to be respectful of any backgrounds, political leanings, or religious attitudes in the interest of sharing an appreciation of having a lathe spin. Recognizing I may have kicked a hornets nest in suggesting the post, does not negate that there is an opportunity for something to be improved. In fact it is offensive to use the description in the sellers selection options, particularly since there are much more effective ways to describe the coloring characteristics of the item. I posted to gain perspective from the community on the matter, and in fact now have two post that add to the discussion. That being said, the matter does not lie with this forum or its members. I do not mean to perturb the mojo of the IAP, but the manner in which the flagrant descriptions of products is portrays is reason enough for me to speak up. Mikeyt, thanks for taking the time to read my initial post, and for responding . Happy turning.

Sly Dog

I think Brian is correct - the African American, Caucasian and Native American dyes are not listed on Alumilite's website but you can still find them on many sites that sell Alumilite dyes (e.g., after a Google search I found the latter two on Amazon). It does not appear to be a labeling choice by Turners Warehouse at all, but a product once labeled by Alumilite for hobbyists looking to cast flesh-toned resins. I can't conclude these sellers like TW are racist from the fact they still carry these Alumilite dyes, but I also don't think asking the question you did is a reflection of over sensitivity.

I'm not a caster...yet...but if and when I start I wouldn't have any issues continuing my business with Turners Warehouse based on my prior experience with them. Happy casting, Mark!

Russ

MRDucks2

I have only been turning for a few years and recall the wide variety of Alumilite products when I started a few years ago.

Alumilite has products and does a lot of business in the special effects, movie, stage and costume industries, also.

They have products from which to make masks, physical features, etc. At that time just 3 years ago (and likely since then) their skin tones were listed as noted by the original post. They were skin tones relative to humans and were not considered offensive by most at that time, and indeed by many even today.

They were colors developed to most closely represent the generalization associated with those in individual groups. Those artists looking for those colors were likely searching for those terms as associated with skin tone as a starting point for their work.

I am curious for the point of conversation what the offense is? Like you, not trying to kick a nest but to gain perspective.

JBidinger

If you are selling colors specifically to be used to represent features of certain groups, what should they be called then?

PatrickR

While this terminology is currently not accepted, as witnessed by the manufacture changing their naming convention.
I don't think that it can be called "racist" and shouldn't. Racism is a term that shouldn't be used lightly and using it where not applicable lessens it.

Top Bottom