Tube lengths between kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Dumb question so I apologize up front. I did look at the spec sheets found in the library but I want to confirm that the Berea Sierra pen kit and the PSI Gatsby are the same tube lengths. So...are they? Thanks for any help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Well .... according to my source .... not quite. . . I am still using the old IAP table from July 2010. . . Every kit of the time is in one huge table.

That gives the Sierra twist as 2.21" and the Gatsby twist as 2.25".

It gives the Sierra click as 2.42" and the Gatsby click as 2.25" (same as the twist, so I seriously doubt this number).

Perhaps I am just confusing the issue for you. . If so, I apologize !! :rolleyes:

I have never made any Gatsby kits, so cannot rely on experience.

Kenny Durrant

I agree with Wayne. With the amount of extra room I don't think it matters if the length is the same. I use the same tubes for Gatsbys, Sierras and Wall Street 2s as long as they're all twist. The only clicks I've used are the Wall Streets.

Well .... according to my source .... not quite. . . I am still using the old IAP table from July 2010. . . Every kit of the time is in one huge table.

That gives the Sierra twist as 2.21" and the Gatsby twist as 2.25".

It gives the Sierra click as 2.42" and the Gatsby click as 2.25" (same as the twist, so I seriously doubt this number).

Perhaps I am just confusing the issue for you. . If so, I apologize !! :rolleyes:

I have never made any Gatsby kits, so cannot rely on experience.
Never made Gatsby , but Sierra twists , and I think all of their twist clones , are forgiving on tube length . They can be shortened by nearly 1/4 inch and still function properly .
I agree with Wayne. With the amount of extra room I don't think it matters if the length is the same. I use the same tubes for Gatsbys, Sierras and Wall Street 2s as long as they're all twist. The only clicks I've used are the Wall Streets.

Thanks everyone. I was thinking they were pretty much interchangeable but I thought I'd throw it out on the forum. I did look at the chart in the library and saw that the blanks were very close. Thanks again.

magpens

BEWARE: The Gatsby twist is finial twist--the length will be far less forgiving than the sierra (a body twist)

.... a VERY GOOD POINT, Ed. . . Thank you for reminding us of that difference in design between the Sierra and the Gatsby.

With the Sierra, the refill is enclosed in an internal, pre-made tube of pre-determined length and ending with the twist mech. .
The barrel (including its own brass tube) slides over that internal tube, making friction contact with the twist part end of the internal tube.
So you can make the barrel a little longer or shorter than the specified length; the pen will still work and refill protrusion is not affected.

But with the Gatsby, the refill fits between the nib piece and the finial piece with the barrel length determining the separation of those two pieces.
So if you change the barrel length (itself usually determined by the brass tube length) your refill protrusion will also change. . That will change the look and operation of your pen. . The correct operation of the finial twist (ie. refill protrusion) depends on having a barrel of very closely the right length.

Ed, I hope you don't mind me elaborating on your post; I hadn't fully realized the importance of the difference until you emphasized it. . Thanks !

BEWARE: The Gatsby twist is finial twist--the length will be far less forgiving than the sierra (a body twist)

Thanks Ed. I think I'll stick with the Sierra and accept the opinion of someone who would for sure know.

.... a VERY GOOD POINT, Ed. . . Thank you for reminding us of that difference in design between the Sierra and the Gatsby.

With the Sierra, the refill is enclosed in an internal, pre-made tube of pre-determined length and ending with the twist mech. .
The barrel (including its own brass tube) slides over that internal tube, making friction contact with the twist part end of the internal tube.
So you can make the barrel a little longer or shorter than the specified length; the pen will still work and refill protrusion is not affected.

But with the Gatsby, the refill fits between the nib piece and the finial piece with the barrel length determining the separation of those two pieces.
So if you change the barrel length (itself usually determined by the brass tube length) your refill protrusion will also change. . That will change the look and operation of your pen. . The correct operation of the finial twist (ie. refill protrusion) depends on having a barrel of very closely the right length.

Ed, I hope you don't mind me elaborating on your post; I hadn't fully realized the importance of the difference until you emphasized it. . Thanks !

Thanks Mal. I think I've gotten the two important opinions that I needed. So Sierra it is.

magpens

@wolf creek knives

Tom, I don't know what, if anything, you might be planning to make now that you have expressed your preference above.

Based on my aesthetic tastes, neither the Sierra twist nor the Gatsby twist is attractive ... I just don't like the round-top finials on either.

There are many variants of the Sierra twist, some of which I DO find quite attractive. . Most of those variants have unrelated names.
However, there are some with similar names, such as the Elegant Sierra, and the Sierra Elegant Beauty but their tube lengths do differ from above.
The things that I like about those two are that they have flat topped finials. . Some of the variants have patterned centerbands .... nice IMO .

In spite of differing tube lengths among the variants I have successfully made quite a few of them and prefer them to the original Sierra twist.
Success because I have a "thing" about getting the final length of the turned barrel "exactly" the same as the length of the supplied brass tube.
I do the trimming to length on a metal-working lathe. . I do not do the length-trimming by using a belt- or disc-sander.

I offer these comments in case you are planning to make some of this type of kit. . If you want to discuss further, I am open to that.

@wolf creek knives

Tom, I don't know what, if anything, you might be planning to make now that you have expressed your preference above.

Based on my aesthetic tastes, neither the Sierra twist nor the Gatsby twist is attractive ... I just don't like the round-top finials on either.

There are many variants of the Sierra twist, some of which I DO find quite attractive. . Most of those variants have unrelated names.
However, there are some with similar names, such as the Elegant Sierra, and the Sierra Elegant Beauty but their tube lengths do differ from above.
The things that I like about those two are that they have flat topped finials. . Some of the variants have patterned centerbands .... nice IMO .

In spite of differing tube lengths among the variants I have successfully made quite a few of them and prefer them to the original Sierra twist.
Success because I have a "thing" about getting the final length of the turned barrel "exactly" the same as the length of the supplied brass tube.
I do the trimming to length on a metal-working lathe. . I do not do the length-trimming by using a belt- or disc-sander.

I offer these comments in case you are planning to make some of this type of kit. . If you want to discuss further, I am open to that.

Thanks Mal, I do appreciate the info. Kenny Durant sent me some Navy/Air Force blanks that he made AT NO CHARGE! So, BIG SHOUT out to @kennydurant. The Acrylic blanks he sent me reference the Sierra style but I've never made one. So I did a Google search for a comparison and also looked into the IAP library and found useful information. But I always like to see what others have to say. I was glad both you and Ed pitched in on this one.

That being said, if there's a "nicer" pen kit out there I'd consider it. I'm just not that familiar with the different kits other than what PSI sell...shame on me.

Thanks for any help Mal.

Top Bottom