tube glue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hooked

I use one of these that I saw recommended on here a while back if anything gets past the wax. It has been great when used carefully. It also opens up the ends a bit if you need to make some room for pressing components.

Last edited:

Curly

I press the tube into a sheet bees wax each end. After the glue sets pick/cut the plug out to a clean tube. The wax was sold for candle making where the wax is rolled around the wick to make the candle. Other people use dental wax or plumbers putty. Point is to keep the glue out of the tubes to begin with.

RGVPens

I've been using Play-Doh. But I might try wax, as the Play-Doh doesn't stay put real well. I've started just using it on the end I put in the blank first, the end that goes in last is ok. When I tried putting it in both ends the air pressure would push it out the other end!
I'll try the Q-tip wipe idea also! I scrape residue out with a pocket knife...so far.

Amanap

I switched glue and use a q-tip like Ken suggested. Was using a 5 minute epoxy and frequently didn't have enough time to properly clean. Switched to BSI 15 minute epoxy and now can take my time to clean out the glue with a q-tip.

qquake

I plug the ends with either non-drying modeling clay or Play-Doh. Both have worked well for me. I used to use dental base wax, but I like something a little thicker.

Attachments

• 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 85
  • 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 79

egnald

Since my neighbor is a beekeeper I have been using foundation wax to plug the leading end of my tube before applying glue and inserting. Like Jim, I too like a thicker plug, so I usually press my tube in at least 2 and sometimes 3 times. I then clean the outside with denatured alcohol to make sure there isn't any wax residue on the outside that might interfere with adhesion. I use a stick with rubber bands wrapped around it to build up the diameter jammed in the other end to hold the tube when I apply glue and to push it into the blank. I leave the stick in there until the glue dries then I pull it out and pop the wax out of the other end. I also use a round chainsaw file to clean out anything that does wind up inside the tube. So far it has been working great for me. - Dave

jrista

I use a rat-tail file. I file most of my tubes now, as a matter of course. Not only does it eliminate the glue and the like, but you can thin the tube slightly, which can help prevent cracked blanks due to overly large pen kit parts. Two birds one stone.

rherrell

I use the pink dental wax to plug the ends of the tube. I use a chainsaw file if I need to clean the tube, I like them better than rat tail files because they're not tapered and they will fit a slimline tube.

greenacres2

I keep a cotton swab loaded with Johnson's paste wax at the bench—quick swirl on the bottom inside of the tube and CA pops right off. When using epoxy, I do the swab followed by pink dental wax. Used a potato exactly once…I'm staying with wax!
Earl

dwasson

What do you use to clean out the little bit of epoxy that inevitably ends up in the end of the tube without expanding the tube too much?
I also use the pink sheets of dental wax. It works like a charm. I use a small X-Acto knife to clean the wax out of the tube after everything is done.

TonyL

As a precautionary step, you may want to clean with DNA any part of the tube exterior that may have wax residue on it. You don't want the wax or whatever to interfere with the glue/adhesion bond between the tube and the material.

crokett

The reamer that comes with an end mill kit, without the end mill. That's what they're designed for. I have one in a wood handle. A couple twists and the epoxy is out.

Jarod888

Plug the tube with dental wax, clean the end of the tube when squaring with a gun cartridge reamer and clean the inside with a gun barrel brush. They come in all sizes, so just pick one that fits tight and push it through in one direction. Once it exits pull it back through the opposite way. Clean any residual swarf with a cue tip dipped in denatured alcohol.

penicillin

I tried dental wax and play-doh multiple times. Neither worked out very well for me. It was more effort to clean out the wax or play-doh than it was to deal with glue issues.

-> How do people clean out the wax or play-doh without taking too much time or leaving a worse mess in the pen blank?

A rattail file is helpful for those rare occasions when I encounter a glue cleanup issue.

Another useful tool that can help with glue cleanup is a deburring tool. I bought this one from PSI; since then I learned that they are a common tool that can be found all over at big box hardware stores, etc.:
https://www.pennstateind.com/store/MSDEBURR.html

Unlike most penturners, I prefer polyurethane glue for gluing tubes in pens. Most of the time, I chisel off the foamed glue and it leaves a clean top. For certain pens or pen blanks, I use epoxy or Clear Gorilla Glue.

qquake

What do you use to clean out the little bit of epoxy that inevitably ends up in the end of the tube without expanding the tube too much?
I use what I call a "cleaning drill", a drill bit that fits inside the brass tube. Plus, the pilot on the trimmer cleans it further. I rarely need to do more, but if necessary I'll scrape inside the tube to remove any remaining residue.

Attachments

• 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    482.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 77
  • 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 027.jpg
    027.jpg