TRU-STINGRAY......?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

gonnat try my hand at casting some stingray, not sure of the outcome since it looks and feels like leather and may get a soaked look either from the resin or the CA

2011-10-12 09.54.13-1.jpg

Sent from my Epic using Forum Runner

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Turned Around

i think the stingray will come out fine. it's not as absorbant as cow hide. i have made a ring and a wallet out of it. thought about making my motorcycle seat out of it, too, but it'd be a bit expensive.

let us know how they come out, i may want to buy some if you plan on selling them

seamus7227

well I tried scraping the underside of the skin, but since its leather, that didn't work so well, oh well. I was able to wrap it around the tube, but I'm not really happy with the outcome. when I put the pen components next to the tube, I dont think there will be any room for resin.

2011-10-12 21.17.06.jpg

2011-10-12 21.17.32.jpg

i may put another another coat of CA on it and be done, the sierra tube I can cast, but a sierra vista kit should be used

Sent from my Epic using Forum Runner

Curly

I have a suggestion if you want jazz it up a little.

I have seen some small turned boxes that had Shagreen inlayed into the lids. They had been turned just enough to cut the tops of the bumps revealing the hard white cores. The shagreen was dark and the little white dots contrasted against it.

Turning your tube down a little should do the same and when cast, provide you with a little extra resin over the skin. If you take some of the scrap leather and touch it to a belt or disc sander it should tell you if it will work.

Top Bottom