Tru-Shilling™

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from seamus7227

seamus7227

I decided to try something a bit more intricate. This time by cutting into the surrounding letters to give a little bit more "WOW" factor. Or so that was intention. Comments welcome!

ForumRunner_20131124_210748.png

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lorbay

Ok Seamus May be you have shared this and maybe you have not. But how thick are these before you start to scrol saw them ????
Lin

seamus7227

Ok Seamus May be you have shared this and maybe you have not. But how thick are these before you start to scrol saw them ????
Lin

Lin, most coins are 1/3rd the thickness of the standard coin itself, if not thinner, which is what makes it that much more difficult to cut.:eek:

MikeL

Incredible detailed work! Your work reminds me of the guy that makes art in the eye of a needle ( or is it on the head of the needle). You must have great patience!

seamus7227

IIRC, this took 3-5 hours to complete. But over the course of two separate days. There was a lot of "blade dragging" with this one. Meaning: scroll saw was off(gives me more precision with the blade), and dragging the coin up and down the blade in order to make most of the detailed cut-outs.

Thank you for all of your comments thus far. I still think i should have taken the letters all the way!

turncrazy43

Great job! Your work is great. Always enjoy seeing your work. Keep it coming.

Katsin

Impressive. Have you ever thought of trying your hand at wood carving? I think your attention to detail on these coins would translate well to carving ability.

seamus7227

Since Fred is gonna bust my chops I figured I'd better drill that "R" out. LOL. Every time I have looked at that coin since hearing that, it's like a nagging thorn in my big toe.

In regards to the question of whether I could take on wood carving, I personally don't feel like I have the foresight to see what it is that I am carving and knowing every angle that is needed to create the piece.

Thank you all for the great comments. I'm not sure what is next, but I have a few ideas. :)

ForumRunner_20131201_223804.png

SDB777

What kind of scroll saw would you recommend a 'first timer' to get? I haven't though about coins or even metal, but was think more about timber... Figured with the kind of time you have spent with one, maybe you could point a fella in the right direction?!?!?

Can't really add anything of value that hasn't already been said by the many replies here...but the stuff you do inspires a lot of folks to try harder to just fall a bit short of perfection every time they see one of your pieces.

Scott (when you doing the gold eagle) B

OZturner

Incredible Work Seamus,
I think all the accolades have been said.
A couple of questions, if you don't mind
1. Do you hold the Coin in your fingers, and manipulate it, to cut? or
2. Do you have a holding jig, that would give you a little more comfort, some mechanical advantage, and greater travel distance?
Congratulations,
Brian.

Top Bottom