Trivia Questions 2008

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scott

Use this forum to post the trivia questions when you think of them. We'll sort them out and pick 31 later.

Oh, and it would be nice if you had the ANSWERS for these questions as well! :D

Thanks All!

Scott.

Randy_

Would this be to silly, corny, simple, or trivial?

What is your favorite pen kit?

Of course there is no wrong answer.....it would get a lot of folks involved and some of them might puzzle over it for a while thinking it was a trick question or there must be some answer other than the obvious one.

Sort of like the classic college quiz where you get five points for answering the question "What is your name."

fiferb

In the instructional video, Making the Kallenshaan Woods Stars and Stripes Pen, by Ed Davidson, how does Ed deviate from the gluing procedures provided by Ken Nelson of Kallenshaan Woods?

Ken's procedure says to glue the stripes together before gluing in the tube on the lower barrel. Ed glues the tube in first, then the stripes using CA.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Since we turn pencils as well as pens, a pencil question might be appropriate. Here are two (don't know if they're any good):

Probably too hard:
The word pencil comes from an old English word meaning what?
(Old English word means 'brush' - many other words, including Penicillin, derived from this same word - Penicillin due to it's brush-like shape under a microscope)

Second one: Before erasers were common and cheap, people used breadcrumbs to erase lead marks from their work. Just as food rots, so too would rubber - preventing its common use as an eraser until a solution to the rotting problem could be found. What inventor developed a process for heat-curing rubber so as to prevent it rotting? What was the name of this process?
(Answer: Charles Goodyear - process is called Vulcanization)

Randy_

Question: Most of us have some sort of silicone based lubricant in our shop and it is a wonderful material. Unfortunately, it can be a major annoyance when it gets somewhere it is not supposed to be. If you have some on your hands and transfer it to a pen blank, you can forget about a finish sticking the blank. Soap and water don’t do very much for clean up nor do most most of the commonly used solvents. What is the best material to use to remove silicone lubricants?

Answer: Isopropyl alcohol is the solvent that will remove silicone lubricants. You can buy the stuff for a buck or two on any grocery store or Pharmacy labeled as rubbing alcohol. Most commonly it will be 70% by volume mixed with water. There are 91% and 99% strengths but they are not commonly available.

DocStram

Great stuff so far! This is a really busy week for me since it's the last week of classes. Once it's over Christmas break begins and I'll have time to add my questions.

Randy_

This is more of a puzzle than a trivia question so it may not be appropriate; but I thought I would put is out here and see what others thought. The original question was a little too tough, so I made it a little easier. Do you think it is still too difficult?

Question: You live in a town with two saw mills and are thinking of starting a blank selling business. Both mills sell exotic lumber; but only in one board foot pieces. Mill “A†offers low prices; but only sells boards that are 12†x 12â€. Mill “B†is 75% more expensive; but will provide boards in any dimensions that you would like.

You plan to start off selling blanks for the Sierra kit since it is popular in your area. You know that you can get 52 blanks from a 12†x 12†board; but need to figure out how many blanks you can possibly get out of an optimally sized board.

Here are the figures you need; but your bookkeeper is on vacation this week so you will have to do your own calculations.

The blanks need to be 3/4†x 3/4†x 2.21†+ 1/8â€(to prevent drilling blowouts). The kerf width on your saw is 3/32â€. Which mill offers the better deal and what is the maximum number of blanks you can expect to get out of a board foot?

Answer: 105

fiferb

Randy, that makes my head hurt. I suppose you may get someone willing to do the math, but, if it were me I would skip the question or guess.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
ya, I'm not a math guy either - but I like the idea! There are many out there that would like that sort of problem too! (personally, though, I wouldn't do it - but I'm an English and History major)

A few new ones:

Which pen company was issued a Royal Warrant to provide all the pens for the British Royal Family.
Answer: Parker

The American government spent millions developing a pen that could write in the vacuum of space - the Russians used pencils. In which space mission was the space pen first used, and which company invented it?
Answer: Fischer, Apollo 7

TOUGH ONE: The Fischer space pen uses a special type of gel ink that becomes viscous only after it undergoes shear stress from the rolling ball. What is the technical name for this property? Answer: Thixotropic

The crafty Romans developed the concept of reusable writing tools by scratching their daily writings into wax tablets. What was the name of the tool used to scratch their message?
Answer: Stylus

Scott

Randy! That makes my head hurt too! But I like it! [}:)]

The question about the Pen Maker's Guild still makes me chuckle! [8D]

Scott.

Randy_

Originally posted by fiferb

Randy, that makes my head hurt. I suppose you may get someone willing to do the math, but, if it were me I would skip the question or guess.

Bruce: It may seem like a monstrous math question; but if you think about it for a few minutes, you will realize it is actually very simple and with a hand-held calculator, you can determine the answer in less time than it takes to read the question......about 15 seconds for me!!:D[}:)]:D

And if folks don't want to attempt the calculation, they can always guess!! ;)

Scott

Randy - I think the challenge of it would be fun! A good mix of easy ones and hard ones is just fine!

Bruce - The part of it that makes me chuckle is the "why" part of it! As a member of the guild, I do think it has a good purpose. But I still often wonder exactly "why" it was formed! [}:)] Let me explain. At one time the Yahoo Penturners forum was the only game in town, and Yahoo does not necessarily cater to the needs of their Groups. I posted there about naming that group something other than "Yahoo Penturners". No other changes, just call the group something without the word Yahoo in it to lend some credence to the group. I was reviled by the membership there. "If it ain't broken, don't fix it!" was one of the common comments. Rich was one of the more vocal opponents to the need for anything other than just what we had there. But I had one friend - Jeff Brown! He E-Mailed me and said he had been thinking of setting up his own penturning site, and would I like to help out? Yes, that was the start of the IAP! Shortly after that Rich started the PMG, which I found ironic in light of his criticism of my asking for a simple name change for the Yahoo Group! That's why I chuckle about the why part, and probably would still not be able to answer that part of your question! ;)

I know, that was more than you wanted to know! There is no animosity between the groups, and I support Rich in what he does at the PMG. The history of it all just makes me smile, is all.

Scott.

Randy_

Who created this pen?

20071242041_booneb019reduced.jpg

Answer: Bruce Boone
(see more of Bruce's work here.)

fiferb

Scott, gotcha. Thanks for the history. I don't go back that far so it is interesting. I got the answer to the why from their own page.

Randy, I think it is a good question. I'm just too lazy to think about it.;)

DocStram

Ok ... Ok ..... I think I got one! How many Bubbasvilles are there in different locations around the country?

I'll have to count ... but, I think 4.

BTW ... thanks, Scott, for the background info on PMG. Very interesting.

DocStram

Here's another one ... what was the longest thread with the most responses in IAP?

The answer .... remember the crap that started last December when somebody posted BB's right-wing Christmas message attacking liberals ... and I responded that it was offensive and a political message ... and then my post was misinterpreted as being anti-Christmas ... and then the s**t hit the fan ... and we had like 20 pages of posts? :D:D

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
Being a teacher (and and English/History teacher at that), I tend to have a wide array of quotes that I bring forth often.

I found a few in my 'quote of the week' file - could be a 'who said this' sort of trivia question:

The pen is the tongue of the mind. (Cervantes)

Dancing in all its forms cannot be excluded from the curriculum of all noble education; dancing with the feet, with ideas, with words, and, need I add that one must also be able to dance with the pen? (Nietzche) (probably spelled incorrectly)

Beneath the rule of men entirely great, the pen is mightier than the sword. (Edward George Bulwer Lytton - now that's a mouthful!) - although Euripides said 'the tongue is mightier than the blade, so he might be first!)

Randy_

Originally posted by fiferb

Question: Micro Mesh 1500 is how many microns?

Answer: 30
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22645

This might be turned into an educational question by asking what sandpaper grit is equivalent to 1500 MM. The 30 micron answer doesn't mean much to most folks; but mentioning the equivalent sandpaper grit would a practical comparison.

fiferb

Randy, I was vacillating between the two. I figured if they had to go look they would see the different grits and there are a couple of standards for grit. I can go either way with this question. Just didn't want to make it too easy for those that know it by heart.

Randy_

Question: The great majority of wood that we turn into pens and pencils is a few tens of years old or at most 100-200 years old if a historical piece is available. There are two woods that are orders of magnitude older and, coincidently, come from two islands situated half-way around the world from each other and part of the UK at one time or another. What are the two woods?

Answer: Irish Bog Wood and Kauri.

Note: There are actually three woods that come out of the bogs of Ireland.....oak, pine, and yew. I would consider an answer that mentions any of the bog woods as being acceptable.

melogic

How about a question that asks who designed the official IAP logo?
We may have to give a hint: An archive search may be needed for this answer.

Jeff, Scott or some of the others can give the last name of this individual. I found the answer by doing an archive search for "IAP Logo" and using the exact phrase. There are a lot of posts but it can be found.
Answer:
And the logo, well, the logo is only even here because Tim's Brother is a graphic artist, and Tim got him to do us a favor in desiging us the logo. Then Tim, Jeff and myself chipped in and paid him for the logo so we would have legal ownership of it and it's use. The IAP logo is one of our "gifts" to the IAP and it's membership.

fiferb

Question: How does Alice straighten bowling ball blanks?

Answer: Cut your pieces no longer than 3 inches to lessen the possibility of cracking. Place the pieces in the oven at a temperature of 190 degrees. Leave them in the oven for about 10-15 min., check the pieces in 10 min., if they are flexible, take them out of the oven one at a time. Place the piece on a board and clamp one end, pull the other end down and clamp. Let them cool and you now have a fairly straight piece.
http://content.penturners.org/articles/2005/cuttingbowlingballs.pdf

Scott

Let's come up with a few more questions, and then we'll divide them up between the three Trivia Masters, and get ready for the Bash. It is only two weeks away, and we want to be ready!!!

Scott.

Top Bottom