Trivia Contest Contest Announcement-Revision

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

Bruce/Al:

I got an email from an unhappy member who doesn't like the wording of the Trivia Contest announcement. Specifically the following:

All correct answers "postmarked" before noon will be placed in a hat and two winners selected every day.

I'm not going to bother you with the details unless you are interested, in which case I will forward you a copy of the email. The complaint is trivial and has no bearing on the fairness or correctness of the selection process; but technically the guy is correct.

I would recommend that you change the wording of the above sentence to the following:

All entries "postmarked" after noon of the contest opening day and before noon of the contest closing day will be placed in a hat and two winners selected for every contest. Winners will be the first two entries selected that are valid and have the correct answer to the contest question.

Unusual circumstances may require that exceptions be made in the interest of fairness. If you wish to use a liberal interpretation of the rule, I believe that would fall under TriviaMeister discretion.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fiferb

Randy, sounds good to me. I'll make the change for my last two days.:D

Don't know why people are going to you. Must be the moderator tag.

fiferb

I just read it closer. This part
after noon of the contest opening day
I disagree with. I think it should be from the time the question is posted. Nothing says we have to have the question for exactly 24 hours. I sometimes have to post the question early because I won't be near a computer around noon. If someone sends an answer after the question is posted I'm certainly not going to discount it. Here is my recommended change:

All entries "postmarked" before noon of the contest closing day will be placed in a hat and two winners selected for every contest. Winners will be the first two entries selected that are valid and have the correct answer to the contest question.
The winners will be announced about 8 P.M. ET of the day the question closes and the decision of the TRIVIAMEISTER will be final.

Basically I took out the "after noon on opening day".

Randy_

I think some folks just got it in their head that I was head honcho of the Trivia Contest since I was the first TriviaMeister and the contest still "LOOKS" like mine. Maybe it is just because I've been around a little longer than you have. Only had these two incidents and the one I forwarded to you. This one I decided to deal with myself since the guy was basically unhappy with something that was my original oversite.

Randy

DocStram

Upon consultation of Bruce and myself ... and after careful deliberations ... we have decided that you, Randy, are THE HEAD HONCHO of the Trivia Contest. Right, Bruce? :D:D

Okay, I'll get serious, especially since my turn is rapidly approaching.

I'll be posting questions as early as 6:30 in the morning. And, I may not be posting the winners until as late as 10:30pm. I'm teaching a couple of night classes this semester so I won't be out of class until 9:45pm.

In any event, I'm on board with what Bruce said. I'll just follow his lead.

By the way, just out of curiosity, I'd like to see the email that you received.

Thanks for everything you guys have done with the Trivia Contest!

Randy_

Originally posted by DocStram

Upon consultation of Bruce and myself ... and after careful deliberations ... we have decided that you, Randy, are THE HEAD HONCHO of the Trivia Contest. Right, Bruce? :D:D

Obviously, it could not have been too careful a deliberation!!

By the way, just out of curiosity, I'd like to see the email that you received.

I'll send it to you.

fiferb

Upon consultation of Bruce and myself ... and after careful deliberations ... we have decided that you, Randy, are THE HEAD HONCHO of the Trivia Contest. Right, Bruce?

Deliberation? Didn't you mean libation?:D:D

DocStram

Hey guys ... since I will be posting my questions early in the morning and at varying times before noon ... in addition to posting the date of the question ... I'll also give the ending date. Know what I mean? Like, I'll say ... "before Noon, January XXX".

What do you think?

Randy_

Originally posted by DocStram

Hey guys ... since I will be posting my questions early in the morning and at varying times before noon ... in addition to posting the date of the question ... I'll also give the ending date. Know what I mean? Like, I'll say ... "before Noon, January XXX".

What do you think?

I think it won't hurt to do that; but I suspect that some folks won't pay real close attention. If you have computer access around noon or a laptop with wireless capability you could take about 30 seconds and log on to the thread and strike through the email link and add a note that says Contest closed i.e.,

<s>triviacontest@penturners.org</s> Contest closed.

Top Bottom