Triple Start Tap & Die Group Buy 2017

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

keithbyrd

"I just got a new quote from the vendor and all of the prices are staying the same and the deadline has move to the middle of next month before the quote will expire. There was some concern on the part of the vendor that the prices might have changed due to the position of the dollar to the European monies. However, that was not a problem."

Does this give time to allow a couple more week to get people to participate?

Brian G

I hemmed and hawed. I'm in for:

12mm plug tap and die
Jowo #5 and #6 plug tap
Yes to insurance

PM sent
Spreadsheet sent

If we're close to making the minimum on other plug taps and dies, then I might be coaxed into adding to my order.

eharri446

I not sure about a couple of more weeks, however, if someone wants in over the next several days I will be a nice guy and let them join in.

EveRyE1vA

Hi Elwin,

I am in for M12x.08 plug tap and M12x.08 die.

I am willing to pay for insurance,

I'll pay Friends & Family.

Thanks for all your effort organizing this group buy.

Last edited:

GSteer

GSteer,

Here is where I got my information from: Taps for Jowo - FPnibs.com

I'd spotted that myself Elwin, but the nib diagrams from fpnibs.com indicate the actual threading is 7.4x0.5 (which have been there longer than the taps), and silverpenparts have been selling the 7.4x0.5 tap for a lot longer, the one on fpnibs.com has only appeared recently. I'd suggest this needs checking with Jowo themselves before setting the order in stone?

There was a discussion thread, that I cannot locate atm, that indicates a 7.5x0.5 would work 'ok' in lieu of a 7.4x0.5, but would be fractionally looser. In fact a quick scan shows forum threads discussing both sizes so I'm as confused as the next person, just want to ensure we're getting the correct and accurate one.

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Its actually 7.4 but 7.5 will work, the difference in diameter is .0039 or about 4 thou. I suspect that 7.5 is easily available for stocking and cheaper for them. Remember your not having to put a torque wrench on it to seat it properly. It also helps when the feeds are out of round as they often are. It also helps to drill and tap a piece of brass and use it as a chasing die running it back and forth over the threads to clean them up.

GSteer

Its actually 7.4 but 7.5 will work, the difference in diameter is .0039 or about 4 thou. I suspect that 7.5 is easily available for stocking and cheaper for them. Remember your not having to put a torque wrench on it to seat it properly. It also helps when the feeds are out of round as they often are. It also helps to drill and tap a piece of brass and use it as a chasing die running it back and forth over the threads to clean them up.

Thanks for popping over here Michael, much appreciated.

eharri446

I am glad that the M7.5 X .5 will work, as I would hate to have to go back to the vendor and try to get it changed.

It was confusing enough working with them to get it changed the first time.

Burb

Any chance of getting an update showing the current #'s & prices? If we are only 1 away of a few things, I might be willing to get something if it throws it to the next lower price point. Thanks.

eharri446

Here is the latest prices.

View in Gallery

In a previous post I showed what would be required to get to the next to the last price point and what the difference was between that one and the lowest price.

drise

Elwin

Is it too late to add a Jowo #6 plug tap to my order?

Thanks again for all your work on this GB
Dave

Spiderman

Okay, I'm jumping into the deepend…

Please add the Jowo #5 Plug tap and the Jowo #6 Plug tap to my order, if you wouldn't mind.

I am sending you my updated spreadsheet to the email address.

Thanks again
Mike

Burb

I went back and couldn't find where it was answered or posted.

What diameter are these dies? I was told they need to either be 1" or 1.5" to work correctly with the die holders. I just wanted to verify. Thanks.

stuckinohio

stuckinohio

Personally I hope all the taps are center drilled on the non-tap end to accept a tap guide. It's super annoying when they aren't! At least to me anyways...

eharri446

After doing more research, it appears that the M11 and 12 are 1 inch, and the M13 and 14 may be 1 1/2 inch diameter.

Not sure, and will not know until Monday when I can ask about the die sizes and the tap guide hole.

Grampy122

Die Size

I have all the die from previous group buys and the M14 is 1.5" and the rest are 1.0".

There is a hole in the non threading end for a tap follower.

Anyone who is even thinking about a bottom tap (so on a translucent pen top the threads look nice and clean) should really think about jumping in, because these group buys do not come around that often and it would help bring the price down for everyone.

Burb

Anyone who is even thinking about a bottom tap (so on a translucent pen top the threads look nice and clean) should really think about jumping in, because these group buys do not come around that often and it would help bring the price down for everyone.

I would love to get the bottoming taps as well, but since I need virtually everything, I can't afford it all. Looks like I will just get the plug taps/dies that I'm wanting, along with the Bock/JOWO dies.

eharri446

We only need 5 more people for the M13 to get the bottoming tap down to $48.90 and 1 more to get the M11 bottoming tap down to $49.70.

stuckinohio

Personally I hope all the taps are center drilled on the non-tap end to accept a tap guide. It's super annoying when they aren't! At least to me anyways...

I believe the hole or crown is necessary to manufacture the taps. This company is in my back yard. They are good people and good products.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

I hope so. Several of my tapco taps are not center drilled. The 7.5 x .5, both #5 Bock and #5 Jowo taps as well as my 10mm triple start plug tap.

eharri446

Lewis, do those taps that are not center drilled have a 60 degree point on the non-tapping end? If do, then you might need to flip your tap follower inner shaft end for end. I did some research and most of them have a point on one end with a dimple or hole on the other end.

stuckinohio

Lewis, do those taps that are not center drilled have a 60 degree point on the non-tapping end? If do, then you might need to flip your tap follower inner shaft end for end. I did some research and most of them have a point on one end with a dimple or hole on the other end.

They are slightly convex. I flipped the shaft of the spring loaded tap guide to the cupped end, but it will not keep the tap in line. The tap merely slips off.

Sprung

I would be in for adding the M12 bottoming tap to my order.

Should I go ahead and resubmit my form?

eharri446

Event though the deadline was the 10th to get orders submitted, I will still accept orders from those who wish to join the group buy. I am able to do this because the vendor gave us an extension on the quote to 9/15/2017.

Event though the deadline was the 10th to get orders submitted, I will still accept orders from those who wish to join the group buy. I am able to do this because the vendor gave us an extension on the quote to 9/15/2017.

Can you confirm mine went through, i was having trouble with the spreadsheet. I dont want to miss it . Thank you

Also , when do we pay>?

eharri446

Chiller Killer, yes I got your spreadsheet.

As for when do you pay, I will try to get the spreadsheets updated and back out by next Friday. That way those who might want to join in will have a chance and I will have the time to get the final costs together and update the spreadsheets.

Just to try and give everyone an idea of what is involved, we currently have 45 members participating in the buy. I know of one or two that we may lose and there may be more that join so there is a lot of work to be done to get the spreadsheets updated and then emailed back out to everyone.

Last edited:

Sprung

Sprung, I will update your order and spreadsheet for you.

Thank you!

We only need 5 more people for the M13 to get the bottoming tap down to $48.90 and 1 more to get the M11 bottoming tap down to $49.70.

If - and only if - there are enough others who decide to go with or add on a M13 bottoming tap, I would be in for one of those too if we get to the 12+ pricing. (I already own a M13 plug tap and die.)

eldee

Elwin,
I'm glad to see the extension. I would like the following:
12mm Plug Tap
12mm Die
#5 Bock Plug Tap
#6 JOWO Plug Tap

No additional insurance
I have also sent a PM.

Thanks!

napagibb

Elwin

As it appears that the bottoming taps are dropping into the lower price
range I would like to add the 11mm and 12mm. If you get enough for the 13mm to drop I would like to add it also.
Thanks
Steve

Chiller Killer, yes I got your spreadsheet.

As for when do you pay, I will try to get the spreadsheets updated and back out by next Friday. That way those who might want to join in will have a chance and I will have the time to get the final costs together and update the spreadsheets.

Just to try and give everyone an idea of what is involved, we currently have 45 members participating in the buy. I know of one or two that we may lose and there may be more that join so there is a lot of work to be done to get the spreadsheets updated and then emailed back out to everyone.

Thank you, and thank you for all the work and head ache , hopefully i didnt make things worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom