Triple/Double start tap/die set

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisN

Most all of the pen kits (the majority of them) are closer to 1.0 than 0.8 in pitch.

For something this size, M14, 1.0 to 1.25 should be in order.

One advantage of a smaller pitch is that it allows more wall thickness when using the same diameter threads. E.g. a 14x0.8 cap thread with 12x0.75 section threads inside of it will allow more wall thickness than a 14x1 with the same 12x0.75 threads inside.

I have a Noodler's Ahab pen with that threading setup (14mm w/ 12mm inside - eyeball measurements). Comparing the cap threads with one of my pens with 12x0.8 cap threads shows the the same thread spacing - it's definitely not more than 0.8 pitch (again, eyeballing). FWIW, the Ahab cap threads are double-start.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edstreet

Most all of the pen kits (the majority of them) are closer to 1.0 than 0.8 in pitch.

For something this size, M14, 1.0 to 1.25 should be in order.

One advantage of a smaller pitch is that it allows more wall thickness when using the same diameter threads. E.g. a 14x0.8 cap thread with 12x0.75 section threads inside of it will allow more wall thickness than a 14x1 with the same 12x0.75 threads inside.

I have a Noodler's Ahab pen with that threading setup (14mm w/ 12mm inside - eyeball measurements). Comparing the cap threads with one of my pens with 12x0.8 cap threads shows the the same thread spacing - it's definitely not more than 0.8 pitch (again, eyeballing). FWIW, the Ahab cap threads are double-start.

Ahab has a 0.9 pitch
thread height: 0.7794mm
28.22 TPI.

In your example of wall thickness the most you are loosing is 0.1961 mm (from 0.8 to 1.24 pitch)

Last edited:

dansills

Rusty Splinters - are you going forward with the buy or should we re-organize? Anyone know if there is a vendor to buy just one from?

bluwolf

Mike Redburn at Silver Pen Parts carries them in stock. I can't give the usual disclaimer because he is a good friend of mine. But I think if you ask around here you'll find he's a great guy to deal with.

Mike

jyreene

Mike Redburn at Silver Pen Parts carries them in stock. I can't give the usual disclaimer because he is a good friend of mine. But I think if you ask around here you'll find he's a great guy to deal with.

Mike

Mike, he does but if this group buy was going to include 14's then it's something Mike no longer carries. And if it's double starts that's something Mike also doesn't carry.

But he is a great guy to deal with.

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Where to go for the Taps and Dies

I cannot tell whether this is going to be a go or not. I would like to look into getting some of these sizes, but maybe not exactly what is ordered here.

Where are we going for the group buys to purchase these? I would like to get the distribution point, and order on my own.

Anyone that can help point me in the right direction would be helping me out on the kitless path.

jyreene

I cannot tell whether this is going to be a go or not. I would like to look into getting some of these sizes, but maybe not exactly what is ordered here.

Where are we going for the group buys to purchase these? I would like to get the distribution point, and order on my own.

Anyone that can help point me in the right direction would be helping me out on the kitless path.

I can't speak for this one but I went through Tapco on mine.

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Ty, thanks for the information!

Has anyone done anything with the etap website? There seems to be a ton of different sizes and the prices seem pretty reasonable.

edstreet

etap is one of the most $$ that I have seen. All quotes I have received from them shows made in pakistan.
My etaps were made in Poland. From the very first group buy.

Ok you got me. I stand corrected. I dug up the quote that I got on 3/24/2015

AVAILABILITY: Palm Bay, Florida, USA : 4 - 5 weeks from the date of order confirmation.
expedited AVAILABILITY with Express shipping (shipping directly from our manufacturing plant in Poland to you). Your order will be ready for shipping in 2.1/2 - 3.1/2 weeks from the date of order confirmation with the following shipping options:

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Awesome, thanks for the information!

Now all I need to do is find the right model number to order. All this tapering, bottoming, right hand, left hand specs are making me dizzy...but you gotta love a website that uses the word "swarf"....awesome word!!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
with Tapco you order by the size you want made. They dont stock the tap and dies we use. Singles sets will be cost prohibitive, usually if I remember correctly about 3 times the cost.

Hey folks. FYI I will be unable to run the buy as I will not be in town long enough to work with it -- but I do still want to participate.

I have everything set up for the buy to happen (including Monty's approval) I just need someone to take over. Send over a PM and I'll get you hooked up with the info.

Michael

whteglve

Attention everyone. I'm waiting on some information about this GP. Once I get it, I will make an announcement regarding the changes and where it's going. Be on the lookout for a new research post soon as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom