Triple/Double start tap/die set

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would there be an ability to start another group buy for triple or double start taps and dies along the lines of the last one? I missed the last one but would like to begin using them and making custom pens with easier use threads.

Thanks for any feedback!

Michael Russell

duncsuss

My first exposure to a group buy was the double-start taps & dies thread that Ty organized (here). Suddenly I was an expert and ran the Sharpie-refill-tap buy ...

There's a saying, "If I can do it, you can try!" -- just decide which taps/dies you want to include and make the proposal.

dansills

I've ran one

I ran a large pen kit group buy a few years back. It was easy really... the most tedious part was sorting all those kits. I'd be in on another one if it included the 14MM tap this time.

I have started research for a group buy for 12x.8 mm triple lead and 14x.8mm triple lead.

If you are interested please comment and let me know.

ChrisN

I'd be interested in a 14mm set either double or triple start. I'd prefer double, since that's what my other sizes are, but triple would be fine.

magpens

I'd be interested in a triple. Can someone please tell me what class of pen we are talking about ... is it the Jr Gent 2 "class" ?

edstreet

I have started research for a group buy for 12x.8 mm triple lead and 14x.8mm triple lead.

If you are interested please comment and let me know.

The 0.8 is objectionable, see below.

I have some quotes out for quad start stub-acme's, may end up being changed to double start.

Is that similar to the Jr. Gents? I'd definitely be interested in hearing the price.

Yes and no. Gent jr's are not stub acme. They (gent II) are x 1.5 however, not the 0.8 that seems to be popular on this group. Baron/Sedona is x 0.8.

I'd be interested in the 14mm but only doubles so if you stay with triples I'm out.

Ty, what makes you prefer double over triple?

Michael

Double start, and quad start, has some serious advantages over triple start, i.e. clip position when capped/posted.

magpens

I have prices for tap/die that will fit the Gent Jr but it seems everyone wants 14mm. Would everyone want the Gent Jr type look in 14mm?

Not sure what is meant here by the "Gent Jr type look". It's only the thread we are talking about.

I would be happy to go for a tap/die set for the Gent Jr, but I would prefer bigger.

Why don't we go for all the taps and dies to make a complete pen ? tap/die for cap to body; tap/die for section to body; tap/die for finial to cap; and, tap/die for finial to body (if different from the preceeding). Or would this be compromising individual preferences ?

Shoot me down if I'm crazy to suggest this .... just a beginner !! :biggrin:

Edit: I just measured the Emperor (Dayacom Emperor, not the Woodcraft version) and it has a 12 mm thread (cap to body) ... and that's a huge pen !! Is 14 mm really what people want ?????? Or am I misunderstanding something ?

Last edited:
I have prices for tap/die that will fit the Gent Jr but it seems everyone wants 14mm. Would everyone want the Gent Jr type look in 14mm?

Not sure what is meant here by the "Gent Jr type look". It's only the thread we are talking about.

I would be happy to go for a tap/die set for the Gent Jr, but I would prefer bigger.

Why don't we go for all the taps and dies to make a complete pen ? tap/die for cap to body; tap/die for section to body; tap/die for finial to cap; and, tap/die for finial to body (if different from the preceeding). Or would this be compromising individual preferences ?

Shoot me down if I'm crazy to suggest this .... just a beginner !! :biggrin:

Edit: I just measured the Emperor (Dayacom Emperor, not the Woodcraft version) and it has a 12 mm thread (cap to body) ... and that's a huge pen !! Is 14 mm really what people want ?????? Or am I misunderstanding something ?

Part of the reason for using 14mm is to allow for a larger section; It also allows for thinner cap/body or whatever you choose.

My reason for just going to the 12 and 14mm multi start sets are because these range from 120-150 individually -- it makes sense to buy them as a group.

The smaller tap/die sets are easier to come by and there is less need for them to be multi start. If someone would like to create a group buy for all of them, be my guest; but that is a lot of work and a lot of separate items to purchase. It would also (most likely) compromise individual preference.

Currently I have prices for m12-.8 and m14-.8 triple lead sets. I am awaiting a quote for the same in double lead sets;

If most of you agrees, I will most likely do double lead instead of triple lead -- It will be slightly less expensive and there are more people wanting double than triple.
I have over 12 people for 14mm and 4 or 5 people for the 12mm. When/If I am able I try to get permission and move the thread to getting this started.

Michael

edstreet

.8 x 3 is 2.4mm pitch or about 12 tpi for each thread.

Most all of the pen kits (the majority of them) are closer to 1.0 than 0.8 in pitch.

For something this size, M14, 1.0 to 1.25 should be in order.

-----

0.8 pitch = 31.75 TPI
3 lead = 10.583 TPI per lead
2 lead = 15.875 TPI per lead

tap drill size: 33/64"
thread heigh: 0.6928mm

-----

1.00 pitch = 25.4 TPI
3 lead = 8.46 TPI per lead
2 lead = 12.7 TPI per lead

tap drill size: 13mm
thread height: 0.866mm