Transmission too deep

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

You are the first person to ever do this. [;)] It happens. You will need a pen disassembly kit to drive out the transmission and reseat it. They cannot be pulled without destruction. First you will need to remove the tip with the kit. Drill bit, inserted 'backwards' can work also. Hammer on the sharp end with a brass hammer. I suggest you set it aside, order the disassembly kit and while waiting, start a new pen.

Thumbs

Terry, Go to this site for a non-destructive method of pulling the transmission.
http://www.stinggroup.addr.com/projects/011401/pagesindex.html[:)]

Fangar

I have a punch that I got in the set of punches from HF. It is thin enough to slide through the hole in the transmission, but large enough to no fit through the hole in the nib. So ti can be run through the back of the transmission to punch the nib back out. Then turn the pen tube around and use a larger punch to carefully punch the mechanism back to the proper position.

Fangar

punkinn

I also use the punch set from Harbor Freight, but added my own jig to more easily remove the transmission:

I drilled a hole only a fraction larger (in diameter) than the transmission lengthwise through a 2"x2"x5" piece of pine. I used pine, so the "softer" wood would have less of a tendency to mar or damage the end of the turned blank. Having previously removed the tip of the pen (also with one of the punches from H.F.; see Fangar's excellent explanation above), I insert the proper sized punch into the pen blank, up against the tip-end of the transmission, place the piece of drilled pine over the transmission that extends out the other end of the pen blank, put the whole deal into a Bessey clamp (use whatever clamp you have that fits), and slowly press it all together. The transmission slides effortlessly out into the pine and voila, you can start all over and put it together right. [;)]

I intend on drilling pieces of 2x2x5 pine for each size pen/transmission that I find I need to disassemble. Way cheaper than the disassembly kit. [:D]

Nancy

Thumbs

I like your idea Nancy, I usually just hammer them out with the Harbor Freight transfer punches. I usually ruin the transmissions that way, too. Fritz likes that but I don't!

BTW, I've never actually tried that method the guy shows on that other site so I don't know how well it works either.

I thought about doing the HF punch set - but I bit the bullet and bought the disassembly kit from Woodcraft last week. After talking to a friend (and member here) who works there; he convinced me to go for it. I know that after the first few pens saved, it will have paid for itself.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom