Totally new from Texas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
You thought you WERE grumpy and old. Stick around here for a while, you'll feel YOUNG again!!

And, maybe "not-so-much" grumpy!!!

WELCOME!!

So far, he seems like a nice guy, too bad he's from Texas.

Welcome and a word of advise Don't show Mama all your pens, or you will not have anything to sell or give to friends. Mine wants to keep everything I show her.
Its a fun hobby

OKLAHOMAN

Welcome to the money pit, if you think your grumpy now wait until you see your wallet in a couple of months........empty!

its_virgil

Welcome from Wichita Falls. You may want to check out a class or two. You have several choices in the metroplex: Woodcraft in Dallas and Ft. Worth, Rockler in Arlington, and WoodWorld Tx in N. Dallas on TI Boulevard. they all have classes in penturning as well as ohter turning classes.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Never turned wood of any kind. Getting mini-lathe for Christmas. Looking forward to learning.

traderdon55

Always glad to welcome another Texan. Be sure to keep an eye on the North Texas chapter and try to attend one of their meetings. You will be amazed at what you can learn in just a short time from them.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Never turned wood of any kind. Getting mini-lathe for Christmas. Looking forward to learning.

Welcome!
Its gonna be FUN! :biggrin: Since you haven't started yet, you can get LOTS of advice but one thing that is usually relegated to "down the road" learning - but really needs to be addressed at the beginning is "Sharpening the tools". Makes turning a pleasure, but pain if delayed!

Another point is that if you turn pens on a mandrel, the tail stock center of the wood lathe does not fit correctly into the mandrel. It will work but not great, and gets worse with time. Basically you will need a 60° live center for the tail stock if you use a mandrel. There is another method of turning pens called "Turning between Centers in which the mandrel is not used. In general it is simpler and eliminates lots of problems introduced by mandrels.

Below are links to two threads/articles that have lots of information on pen turning. The first one is a very basic overview of the many aspects of getting into turning pens.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

The second link has postings by different pen turners and what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

Here is another link - a PDF on the acronyms used here. I am sure you know many but this will help with those you don't.

http://content.penturners.org/articles/2009/Acronyms.pdf

Parson

Welcome from yet another Texan.

This hobby isn't that expensive to me if you can sell your pens for a decent profit.

I have two other hobbies that are far more expensive and time consuming. In fact, my three hobbies keep me so busy I really have no time for work, but I must work for a few more years :)

Druid

Welcome, you've come to the right place. Lot's of great folks here and literally a one stop shop for information & knowledge.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome from sunny southern California!

You know all those pennies you didn't want to stop and pick up as you walked over them? Start picking them up! You'll need every one.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Welcome from another Texan. We Texan forgive Ed, He's about the grumpiest one around here. It wold be uvery difficult to top him. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:.

lwalden

Welcome from the NorthWest corner of DFW- where in the DFW area are you? There are a lot of great local resources, and getting started is a lot smoother when you can learn from others mistakes. I got started about 3 years ago- hadn't turned anything in almost 30 years, since high school wood shop, so for all practical purposes was starting from scratch. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help!

maxman400

Welcome From Nevada: the home of ??????? I'll get back to you on that!! Be sure to post your first pen, so you can look back in a year and be amazed at what you have achieved.

Top Bottom