Tool gloat, Robert Sorby

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevers

Hi All,
My tool gloat isn't quite as great as rcarman's. I only got one Sorby tool. A 1" oval skew. It is my first real quality tool. I turned a piece of hard PR with it and it was like butter. Now I just have to figure a way to sharpen it.

200812021031_Robert%20Sorby%20skew%201.jpg

200812021057_Robert%20Sorby%20skew%202.jpg

200812021121_Robert%20Sorby%20skew%203.jpg

God I love making shavings!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mrs

Hey Steve, whant a real neat trick for working with PR. Get a fabric softener sheet and rub it all over your skew and hands before you turn. It will cut way down on that stuff sticking to your tool and hands.

Congrats on the Sorby.

Mike

Fred

Steve, whatever method you decide to use to sharpen your skew be sure that you can match the existing angle of the tool. That way you will not remake the edge each and every time you sharpen it AND you can keep the front part of the edge straight and not make it oval out on you.

I use my skew almost 95% of the time when turning and have a Tormek about two feet to the left of my lathe. I simply turn left, slip the skew into the proper preset jig, sharpen, and continue to turn. Keeping the skew scary sharp is a great 'secret' to know. This tool can when used correctly, cut way back on your sanding processes when you are ready to start the finishing process. Keeping it 'scary sharp' also greatly speeds up the turning processes.

The best and easiest way to keep your tools sharp without a lot of effort and wasted metal is to have an excellent sharpening station setup. The Tormek is one of the best wet sharpening methods there is. They make excellent jigs for all the tools. The system is EXPENSIVE, but the upside is that once you have used it and mastered the methods of sharpening you will be VERY, VERY glad you splurged and spent the money.

IMHO, one just can't go wrong with the device and the money is well spent! [:D]

hazard

I bought this same chisel 3 months ago. I use a diamond stone to sharpen it. I am able to cut the hair on my arm with it.

Have fun turning

chris

stevers

I like the sound of the fabric softener trick. I may have to try that.
I'm in the process of designing (otherwise known as jerry rigging) A set up to sharpen. An old mandrel rig and a left over motor. The motor turns at 1750rpm and with pulley reduction I'm hoping to get the final speed of the wheel down even further. It's a work in progress and sitting on my work bench.

Daniel

Steve, Great choice. I had a friend want to buy me a gift a couple of years ago. They did not want to choose for me so they got me a gift certificate. I got the same skew you have, it also was my first really good turning tool. I also bought a woverine grinding jig to sharpen it. I have other really good tools now as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom