Took 4 years but I finally got a lathe and made some pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

naynay

Here they are. I am posting here because some generous penturners sent me cutoffs and scraps and would not even accept money for postage. It took a while but I made those pens. Alot went on between 2019 and 2023. The pandemic, me having gastric bypass surgery, almost dying from bloodclots and moving to Northern Nevada. The Red Box Elder, Honey Locust and Eucalpytus Burl were donated to me and unknown dark wood is (it's Black Walnut) from the cabinet maker down the street from me. Since he gave me a bunch of cut offs I thought it would be fair to gift him a pen from the darker wood. He didn't know what it was and I am surprised that it turned since the shavings were ugly but the grain is nice and dark. I did sanding to 2000 grit 6 coats of thin CA and 6 coats of medium CA.(accelerator between each application) I did two extra coats on the red box elder because of the bug holes. I then did a wet mesh sanding from 1500 to 12000. Nice shine IMO. This is the Sierra pen. Are there flaws? Absolutely and I pointed the out myself to some pen turners I showed these pictures to but considering these are the first pens I've made since 2017, I think I am headed in the right direction.Thank you for being generous with your time and answering questions. My first pen was turned under supervision in 2017 and I carried it every day, tossed it in my backpack pack, used it at school, dropped it, lost it, found it. It looks like a beginner made it.

IMG_7755.JPG

Black Walnut(L) and Red Box Elder

IMG_7780.JPG

Honey Locust (L) and Eucalyptus Burl

IMG_7778.JPG

First pen from 2017. Ebony/Ivory.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

naynay

Your pens look great! I'm looking forward to seeing more. Glad your health has returned so you can do stuff like this.
Thank you. I would actually love to do my first PITH if someone doesnt mind being paired with a beginner. It's no one's fault that I was very overweight. I ate when I was happy, sad or mad. I couldn't even stand the entire time I made my first pen but I can stand from beginning to end now. I've been through hell the past year. I'm really working at picking up new and old hobbies to help keep away food triggers. It's therapeutic turning pens honestly. The nearest Rockler is 143 miles from me so I need to order more when I do online orders. There is a Lee Valley Express store in Reno if I really need something and they are not sold out.

Hippie3180

Great job! Turning is such a therapeutic practice and since sitting is the new smoking it's a great way to get off one's seat. Keep up the good work!! You've got this, looks like you're a natural.

egnald

Nice Pens - I have quite a collection of pens from 2016 and 2017 from when I was getting started. They are almost all Comfort styles without the rubber grip, essentially a Slimline but with a Comfort center band. I wind up using them all around the house for just everyday pens. I hope you are enjoying the craft. - Dave

TDahl

Keep that first pen. It is a beauty and you will cherish it forever. I am glad to hear you are finally back in the shop, and thank you for sharing your story. It is very inspirational. Can't wait to see what future creations you come up with.

naynay

Nice Pens - I have quite a collection of pens from 2016 and 2017 from when I was getting started. They are almost all Comfort styles without the rubber grip, essentially a Slimline but with a Comfort center band. I wind up using them all around the house for just everyday pens. I hope you are enjoying the craft. - Dave
Thank you. I will be joining this year's PITH. Thank you to everyone for the words of encouragement. I'm chasing that "perfect pen" but these are handmade so there are going to be flaws even if they are the tiniest flaws. I keep telling myself that to make sure I don't keep every single pen I turn. I'm waiting for my property manager to come by and I am giving him one since he gave me the space to set up my equipment for no extra charge. He even put a lock on it.

naynay

Keep that first pen. It is a beauty and you will cherish it forever. I am glad to hear you are finally back in the shop, and thank you for sharing your story. It is very inspirational. Can't wait to see what future creations you come up with.
I was going to to try to disassemble the slimline and freshen up the finish but it may get destroyed. I think I'll just leave it as is and continue to use it.

naynay

Great job! Turning is such a therapeutic practice and since sitting is the new smoking it's a great way to get off one's seat. Keep up the good work!! You've got this, looks like you're a natural.
Thank you. I didn't feel like a "natural" on that 3rd pen I tried to turn yesterday. I tossed it. Wasn't even worth waisting Harbor Freight CA on.

Hippie3180

Thank you. I didn't feel like a "natural" on that 3rd pen I tried to turn yesterday. I tossed it. Wasn't even worth waisting Harbor Freight CA on.
Well that happens to the best of them I'm pretty sure. The important thing is getting back on the horse. šŸ˜€

MedWoodWorx

Here they are. I am posting here because some generous penturners sent me cutoffs and scraps and would not even accept money for postage. It took a while but I made those pens. Alot went on between 2019 and 2023. The pandemic, me having gastric bypass surgery, almost dying from bloodclots and moving to Northern Nevada. The Red Box Elder, Honey Locust and Eucalpytus Burl were donated to me and unknown dark wood is (it's Black Walnut) from the cabinet maker down the street from me. Since he gave me a bunch of cut offs I thought it would be fair to gift him a pen from the darker wood. He didn't know what it was and I am surprised that it turned since the shavings were ugly but the grain is nice and dark. I did sanding to 2000 grit 6 coats of thin CA and 6 coats of medium CA.(accelerator between each application) I did two extra coats on the red box elder because of the bug holes. I then did a wet mesh sanding from 1500 to 12000. Nice shine IMO. This is the Sierra pen. Are there flaws? Absolutely and I pointed the out myself to some pen turners I showed these pictures to but considering these are the first pens I've made since 2017, I think I am headed in the right direction.Thank you for being generous with your time and answering questions. My first pen was turned under supervision in 2017 and I carried it every day, tossed it in my backpack pack, used it at school, dropped it, lost it, found it. It looks like a beginner made it.

View attachment 355649
Black Walnut(L) and Red Box Elder

View attachment 355650

Honey Locust (L) and Eucalyptus Burl

View attachment 355651
First pen from 2017. Ebony/Ivory.
Nice job! To be honest i don't see any mistakes. Keep up the good work!!

Top Bottom