Today's New Favorite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from egnald

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska - As I've said many times before, I have a new favorite wood to work with. It is Pyinma pressed into a gold Jr. Gent kit. I've read that Pyinma is frequently referred to as Asian Satinwood; however, it is quite different than true Satinwood. I have turned the Pyinma burl before, but I really like the chatoyancy of the plain old wood. It was an easy turn and took the CA finish well.

It felt good being back in the shop again. I haven't turned anything for just over a month. My dear wife stepped down wrong in our yard last month and as she twisted and fell broke her right ankle in 3 places. They fixed it up with plates and screws and everything went good. Instead of making pens though I've been driving kids to school, dear wife to the doctors, cooking, cleaning and installing 22 feet of ramp so she can get in and out of the house. She has finally started physical therapy and we are all hoping she will be able to walk (with some assistance) and drive again in the new year. Until then I will continue to be chief shopper, cook, dishwasher, and chauffer.

Regards - Dave

Here is the pen.
IMG_1557 Cropped.jpg

And my typical views of it as it is rotated.
IMG_1561 Cropped.jpgIMG_1562 Cropped.jpgIMG_1563 Cropped.jpgIMG_1564 Cropped.jpgIMG_1565 Cropped.jpgIMG_1566 Cropped.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MPVic

Sorry, David, to hear about your wife's situation - hope she heals well & soon. That pen is a beauty, love the wood & the finish is excellent.

magpens

Dave, I am very sorry to hear of your wife's unfortunate incident ..... look after her !! . That's the first priority.

Your pen is beautiful !!! . And your CA finish is superb !!

I too am a big fan of Pyinma .... it seems be be rather scarce, however.

Also, I like the way you present your threads .... very well done .... from the chatty intro to the impeccable photography !! . Thank you !!

TDahl

Beautiful pen Dave. I really like the finish. Thank you for sharing. I wish your wife a speedy recovery.

Larryreitz

Gotta give that one an A+++. I'll have to look for some of that Pyinma. Sorry to hear about your wife, but at least she will recover.

Alan Morrison

Hope that all goes well with your wife's recovery, Dave.
You have your hands full.
I like your pen a lot and have never come across that timber before.
Thanks for showing it.
Stay well yourself.
Alan

Alan Morrison

Dave, I just looked Pyinma up and find that I know it very well as a shrub.
When I lived in Australia for a while it was a fairly commonly planted street shrub in a lot of parts.
It grows in Europe, and more sheltered areas in UK and Ireland.
It is known to me as Lagerstroemia and commonly as Crepe Myrtle.
Alan

Kenny Durrant

The pen looks Great. I'm sorry to hear about your wife. Life gets tougher the older we get. I have a friend who's wife has several issues as well as mine. With that we also have virus issues. My friend has been doing all the cooking, cleaning and shopping. He now tells everyone he truly gets the meaning of "Not tonight I have a headache"! Not try to make light of a situation just trying to add a chuckle to hard times. Take care

Sorry to hear about your wive's accident Dave. Hopefully she'll heal up quick and life will get back to normal.

To think about all the wood pieces I've thrown away. I had a great big Crepe Myrtle tree in my house when I was working in California. I've probably thrown away a couple hundred pen blanks during the pruning process. If I'd only known!

Top Bottom