Today's Experiment - Opinions Please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from egnald

egnald

Hi Everyone,

This weekend I decided to try a segmented pen. I received some orders from Dawn and Ed at Exotic Blanks in the last week or so and out of them I picked a Satin Silver Zen kit and a Color Grain Pen Blank (Southwest). As an experiment, I made a simple segmented blank from the Color Grain Blank and a piece of Cocobolo.

I think it turned out OK; however, I would have loved it if the grain pattern on the Cocobolo would have matched up more inline with the laminations in the Color Grain blank. I didn't really pay much attention when I cut the blanks for the glue-up; but maybe next time I can try to cut them up out of square somehow in order to get the grain to match up a little better.

I also think that a contrasting separator, probably black, between them would have made it look better but so far all my attempts using black materials have failed as CA didn't want to stick to the black stuff - must have had some silicone in it or was made of HDPE or something.

The Cocobolo had a darker spot in the grain that wound up being right up at the top of the pen (very obvious in the middle picture). It's hard to know with Cocobolo sometimes as rarely does the square blank look the same as the turned one. I've always considered Cocobolo to be like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates - you never know what your going to get.

I really do like the Satin Silver finish though and will be buying some more of them in my next order.

Anyhow, comments, opinions, and suggestions are all welcome.

Regards,
Dave

IMG_3612 Cropped.jpg

IMG_3606 Cropped.jpg
IMG_3607 Cropped.jpg
IMG_3608 Cropped.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hippie3180

Dave, that is so cool. I understand it is experimental and there are things you would have liked to have done different, but it looks amazing! The finish is very nice too.

KMCloonan

I love it! It's good the way it is. You can use dividers for more detail, but the absence of dividers on this pen does not take away from the pen a single bit. I also agree with Ken (Humongous) - the cocobolo grain and the colored grain parts match up really well!

KenB259

Dave, my goto for black spacer material is vulcanized fiber paper, the stuff I buy is .039 thick, I believe and they just come out with some thinner, but I haven't tried it. It glues well with CA or epoxy. When I make a segmented blank, I always try to make them symmetrical, that's just what looks best, to my eye.

Kenny Durrant

I think it's a nice pen and the finish is excellent. I'm also a fan or using spacer material. I like the way it defines the segments. Not that your pen looks bad that's just my preference. Thanks for showing and asking. Now we all get a general idea of how other pen makers think. At least about this. Ha Ha.

jttheclockman

Hi Everyone,

This weekend I decided to try a segmented pen. I received some orders from Dawn and Ed at Exotic Blanks in the last week or so and out of them I picked a Satin Silver Zen kit and a Color Grain Pen Blank (Southwest). As an experiment, I made a simple segmented blank from the Color Grain Blank and a piece of Cocobolo.

I think it turned out OK; however, I would have loved it if the grain pattern on the Cocobolo would have matched up more inline with the laminations in the Color Grain blank. I didn't really pay much attention when I cut the blanks for the glue-up; but maybe next time I can try to cut them up out of square somehow in order to get the grain to match up a little better.

I also think that a contrasting separator, probably black, between them would have made it look better but so far all my attempts using black materials have failed as CA didn't want to stick to the black stuff - must have had some silicone in it or was made of HDPE or something.

The Cocobolo had a darker spot in the grain that wound up being right up at the top of the pen (very obvious in the middle picture). It's hard to know with Cocobolo sometimes as rarely does the square blank look the same as the turned one. I've always considered Cocobolo to be like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates - you never know what your going to get.

I really do like the Satin Silver finish though and will be buying some more of them in my next order.

Regards,
Dave

View attachment 356591

View attachment 356588
View attachment 356589
View attachment 356590
Dave nice pen and agree that a black trim ring would look good for seperation. This way the eye does not look for grain matchups. Have a question, you say that is a Zen pen, is that a magnetic top or a snap on?? I ask because all Zens I have made do not have that type nib section. Unless it is a Dayacom knockoff or something. Thanks.

egnald

Dave nice pen and agree that a black trim ring would look good for seperation. This way the eye does not look for grain matchups. Have a question, you say that is a Zen pen, is that a magnetic top or a snap on?? I ask because all Zens I have made do not have that type nib section. Unless it is a Dayacom knockoff or something. Thanks.
JT,

Based on the price of the kit I am sure that it is not a Dayacom manufactured Zen kit, but is an Economy Zen manufactured by Rizheng. I've been trying to sort out the nib shapes for a while now and that is what I am finding. The Taiwan Dayacom kits I have seen have a smooth nib shape, but most of the Chinese Rizheng kits have a stepped type of nib shape. Also they are sometimes differentiated by the retailer by calling them something a little different, like Economy Zen, Artisan Zen, and Magnetic, but there are those also just calling it Zen.

Regards,
Dave

PS Maybe I have just been lucky, but so far I have had good luck with the less expensive versions. What I have found though is that the magnet ring in most of the caps is glued right up to the edge of the cap. These have good holding power when the cap is on. However, I have found a few the magnet is a little deeper in the cap. These do not have nearly as much holding power as the ones where it is right at the edge. Obviously an assembly / workmanship issue. So far I haven't seriously tried to tear any of them apart (yet) to see if I can re-glue the magnet in closer to the edge.

jttheclockman

Thanks Dave that is what I was figuring. So many knockoffs of all these kits. I have no problem with Dayacoms kit so will stick with it.

egnald

Thanks Dave that is what I was figuring. So many knockoffs of all these kits. I have no problem with Dayacoms kit so will stick with it.
Here is a picture of the two different heights of the magnets in the caps I mentioned before. The cap on the left has significantly more holding power than the one on the right. I might try to break it apart to see if I can re-glue it closer to the edge, but I will probably wind up destroying the cap.
IMG_3613.JPG

sorcerertd

That looks good as is, but I would have wedged the colorgrain section between 2 solid sections equidistant from the barrel ends. That's just my 2¢ on it.
The black divider would be a good choice there, too. Anything metallic wouldn't match up with the satin finish at all.

egnald

That looks good as is, but I would have wedged the colorgrain section between 2 solid sections equidistant from the barrel ends. That's just my 2¢ on it.
The black divider would be a good choice there, too. Anything metallic wouldn't match up with the satin finish at all.
I like that idea. My experiment does look a little lopsided to me. I've made similar simple segments using Simstone materials and it doesn't seem as lopsided. I suppose that both pieces have a woodgrain has something to do with it. I've also asked my wife to order some G10 Spacer material for me on her Amazon account. - Dave

KenB259

I like that idea. My experiment does look a little lopsided to me. I've made similar simple segments using Simstone materials and it doesn't seem as lopsided. I suppose that both pieces have a woodgrain has something to do with it. I've also asked my wife to order some G10 Spacer material for me on her Amazon account. - Dave
Dave, be very careful with that G10 spacer material. I don't know what it's made of, but it will quite literally ruin a band saw blade in a matter of minutes.

egnald

Dave, be very careful with that G10 spacer material. I don't know what it's made of, but it will quite literally ruin a band saw blade in a matter of minutes.
Thanks Ken,
Thanks for the reminder. I've worked with G10 before. It's a common printed circuit board material. The "G" stands for glass. It's a glass filled resin, essentially a thick sheet of fiberglass. I usually use a Dremel cutoff wheel to cut it. I'll bet it does wreak havoc with saw blades, I know it sure does with drill bits.
Dave

KenB259

Thanks Ken,
Thanks for the reminder. I've worked with G10 before. It's a common printed circuit board material. The "G" stands for glass. It's a glass filled resin, essentially a thick sheet of fiberglass. I usually use a Dremel cutoff wheel to cut it. I'll bet it does wreak havoc with saw blades, I know it sure does with drill bits.
Dave
Good to know, I never thought of a dremel tool to cut it but I think I'll still steer clear of it.

derekdd

Beautiful pen, Dave and a fun experiment.

I'm with you about cocobolo. One of the most interesting woods we work with.

smik

Hi Everyone,

Regards,
Dave

View attachment 356591

View attachment 356588
View attachment 356589
View attachment 356590
It has a really nice flair. I like it.

BULLWINKLE

Dave, I think it's interesting that many people here post pictures of absolutely beautiful pens and self criticize their work.
I think you fit that category. It's a beautiful job ! Maybe it could be better but when you think about it, it's a moot point.
That pen is excellent. As for matching the grain, one material is natural and the other material is not. I don't think you could have matched it any better. Give yourself the credit you deserve for a terrific job.

Top Bottom