Today's Experiment - Opinions Please (Revision 2.0)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from egnald

egnald

Hello all:

Thank you for your opinions and comments on yesterday's thread about my segmented blank experiment. I took advantage of your generosity and have put together version 2.0 of the blank. Here is what I did differently:

1) I turned the Cocobolo round so I could have a good look at the grain pattern and direction.
2) I found an old LP and cut it into strips and pieces to use as a separator between the segments.
3) I put the "spectraply" segment in the middle of the Cocobolo instead of on one end.
4) I added a drop of black acrylic paint to my epoxy when I mixed it.

So, version 2.0 is in my segmenting alignment fixture until tomorrow when I can drill and turn it.
(Usually I would glue the tube in with epoxy also which adds another day, but since this is more of an experiment I will glue it in with CA).

I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Regards,
Dave

PS The black separator looks much wider than it really is because of the black epoxy that squeezed out onto the blanks.

IMG_3614 Cropped.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
The separator that is being squeezed out - is there a spacer that keeps consistent thickness in its separation? I'm curious to see the final results; and love the grain matching!

egnald

The separator that is being squeezed out - is there a spacer that keeps consistent thickness in its separation? I'm curious to see the final results; and love the grain matching!
Yes, I glued in a piece of vinyl cut from a record album. The squeeze out is the black tinted epoxy that I used to glue the spacer and blank segments together. - Dave

derekdd

Love the creativity and experimentation.

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Good luck!

egnald

What a Disaster! - This thing just doesn't want to be turned into a pen.

I had a blowout on the lower segment when I was drilling - It split into 3 pieces and took a chunk of the vinyl record spacer out. I cut another piece and glued it on but the spacer was wonky so the black epoxy filled the gap, but it doesn't have a uniform thickness. I turned it anyway and gave it a couple coats of CA just to see how it would look finished (sorta). I didn't sand it so the finish is kind of rough, but it still tells the story as far as the colors of the woods.

Anyhow, I think I'm done experimenting with segmenting "spectraply". The vinyl record worked OK as a spacer, but it is a little too thick for my taste. And of course I'm not going to waste a kit on it. I do have another one of the "spectraply" blanks, but I will likely just turn it into a pen by itself (no segmenting).

Thanks to all that took an interest.

Regards,
Dave

IMG_3616 Cropped.jpg
IMG_3617 Cropped.jpg

derekdd

Dave, I'm sorry it didn't turn out as you hoped but I sure appreciate your bringing us along for the ride.

The miscues are just as informative as the successes.

howsitwork

as said above the learning process is part of the "excitement" . Thanks for sharing .

Remember sometimes you're the statue, other times your the pigeon, sometimes this simple phrase helps you stay sane šŸ˜œ

Top Bottom