Threadless Cap/Body, kitless prototype fiber nib

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rixstix

Well, I'm happy with prototype (rev1) after the beta version.

This one was built for a functionality test and little/no work done on the finish. It also tested my order of operations which only need minor modifications.

Cap is internally tapered, as well as both ends of the body externally tapered so the pen is 'postable'. So far, there has been no drying of ink in the fiber nib.
The taper is repeatable (so far) and the cap/body of the beta and prototype are interchangeable in fit after disturbing the taper angle and resetting the taper angle.

Cap: 14.5mm x 63mm ( 0.57" x 2.50")'
Body: 12.25mm x 83mm ( 0.48" x 3.28")
Section: 19mm
Capped Length: 5.25" ish

Important things to work on:
Boring tool geometry. I didn't realize how sensitive small diameter boring tool geometry is; even more so when you put tapering into the equation.

Section can be easily made to accept a Fountain Pen Nib or Roller ball cartridge.
Materials used: 2 blanks from the PSI 50 for $50 grabbag ($2) and 1 PSI fiber tip ($2) = $4 for parts

Comments, critique, questions and/or suggestions for improvement are welcomed.

Attachments

• TaperClosed.jpg
    TaperClosed.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 127
  • TaperOpen.jpg
    TaperOpen.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 122
  • TaperPosted.jpg
    TaperPosted.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rherrell

Rick, I use Micro 100 boring bars for the teenie tiny stuff, Micro 100

They make OUTSTANDING tools but it can be confusing to figure out what you need. If you're interested PM me and I'll show you what I have.

rixstix

Rick, I use Micro 100 boring bars for the teenie tiny stuff, Micro 100

They make OUTSTANDING tools but it can be confusing to figure out what you need. If you're interested PM me and I'll show you what I have.

Thanks Rick. It does look confusing and my current tool budget is depleted. I was hoping to work out something using square HSS or O1/W1 drill rod and my 8" bench grinder. I have nearly every size drill rod. Imperial 1/16-1/2" in 64ths, letter and number and metric 14mm-23mm.

I think my current rendition might be flexing a bit more than it should. I ground it before reading, have too much 'stick out' and too much NR for the taper being bored.

Last edited:
Top Bottom