Threading in wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kanihoncho

I've only turned a few pens so far and I see a need to differentiate pens from the kits. There are too many duplicate products among makers.

I'm probably giving up a great idea, maybe not. One thing I see as a potential, if not a potential headache, is the replacement of the black plastic that are after the nib in the kits (the two plastic parts in the sierra). I would love to be able to replace the plastic with wood and offer up a greater design potential (two contrasting woods). I don't know if this is possible as they are small pieces and would have to be threaded.

Also as far as parts, i see a lot of existing hardware that is the same. I assume the only options are to learn metalwork or hire a jeweler to design some.

Anyway, I'ld love to hear any thoughts on this subject.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

I have seen the entire front end of a Sierra replaced with Alternative Ivory, a year or two ago Ed4copies offered up a contest and some on (brain fart) I can't remember who submitted one to that contest. the pen didn't win, but it was a nice addition to an otherwise ordinary pen. heare is the picture , it was a Gentleman from Down Under (where women glow and men thunder) Mr John Crane.http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7969&highlight=alternative+Ivory+contest

gwilki

You can do this with a Sierra. There is not threading necessary. All you are doing is replacing the black plastic with your material.

I apologize for the terrible pic. I took it before getting my good camera.

Attachments

• blue sierra 1.jpg
    blue sierra 1.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 296

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I am working on a design that would replace the lower piece of the Sierra with an 8mm tube using a sterling silver nib and centerband. the first design is ready but I need to make a pen up to make sure it works. this would allow the center band to be custom designed. I also have made a center band to replace the cigar style along with the caps clips nibs, making the clips and caps modular so the can be used on different size kits and tubes.

Attachments

• DSC_0439.JPG
    DSC_0439.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 207
  • DSC_0433.JPG
    DSC_0433.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 202
  • DSC_0442.JPG
    DSC_0442.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 167
  • DSC_0447.jpg
    DSC_0447.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 193
  • DSC_0437.JPG
    DSC_0437.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 151

kanihoncho

I think what John, Grant and Mike have done/are doing is great! That's the kind of input I'm looking for. I haven't turned/assembled enough pens to know how to understand the problems but at least now I know it can be done.

kanihoncho

Good question, i fooled with one of my sierras (or a knockoff) and i thought it had threads and i tried to remove the plastic by hand but it seemed glued on.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I haven't taken a Sierra apart in about 3 years and at that time, the lower and upper black tubes were metal with a good coat of what looked like a good black powder coating. Are they plastic now?

bgibb42

I haven't taken a Sierra apart in about 3 years and at that time, the lower and upper black tubes were metal with a good coat of what looked like a good black powder coating. Are they plastic now?

All the ones I have are metal. The tip of the lower barrel is press fit into a brass retainer inside the black tube. The center band required some sort of adhesive to keep it in place.

rjwolfe3

They might be metal but since I don't know how to take it apart I couldn't tell. Is there someone that can point me in the right direction so I don't just start ripping good kits up.

leehljp

Member Liaison
They might be metal but since I don't know how to take it apart I couldn't tell. Is there someone that can point me in the right direction so I don't just start ripping good kits up.

On the two that I took apart - they were glued in. I don't know what glue was used. I used a punch and tapped, tapped and tapped! finally it came out.

bgibb42

Rob, I don't have any pictures, but what I did was take a thin punch and knock out the small nib first. I had to hit it fairly hard since it's pressed into a small brass retainer on the inside. Once that was out, I inserted a slightly larger punch through that end; I had to hold the punch at an angle to catch the edge of the center band and then hit it fairly firm as well, since it's glued into the black metal section. I was hitting the punches pretty hard, and was afraid I might damage something, but all the pieces came apart just fine. Hope this helps. :)

kanihoncho

Has anyone worked with the opposite end? I must apologise, I thought those black parts were plastic and not metal. i currently have a couple of the elegant sierras and they are definitely metal and are threaded for the twist mechanism.

Boodrow

I actually had a Sierra / Classic II come apart right below the center band the other day. They are glued together and the black piece is some type of metal. I haven't messed with taking one apart on propose but the same idea popped up in my head.

Top Bottom