M3 blank help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RAdams

Banned
I just got a M3 brass blank in a trade. I am totally blown away by this material and fear messing it up. I was hoping someone here could point out some tips and tricks! This stuff is cool looking and i think it will make an amazing pen! If i can pull it off!

Do you use lubricant when drilling it? What kind of lathe speed? Thanks for the help!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

broitblat

I've only made of few of these, so YMMV.

I didn't do anything special for drilling (except go slowly). While turning, you'll want to observe the usual sharp tools/light cuts. You may even need to re-sharpen during the process. The blanks are fairly stable, but treat it with the same respect you would a PR or plastic blank. Knock the corners off before you start and take it slow.

-Barry

OKLAHOMAN

Ron I've turned many M3, I think Mike still has some of my pens on his site. When drilling you'll notice that instead of strings up off of the flues it will be a powdery substance, not to worry thats normal, and also when turning SHARP tools are required, I turn everthing with a 1/2 inch round nose scraper at the fasted speed my lathe will go and no problems. I wet sand too 12000 and polish....

RAdams

Banned
Thanks for the heads up guys! I read the stuff on the website, but wanted to get some hands on experiences if possible and of course IAP pulled straight on through!

Now i just have to figure out what kit is worthy of such a blank. I was thinking of attempting to do a true kitless. Will this stuff hold a pressed part without a tube i wonder.

GoodTurns

i turned 4 of the m3 blanks a month or so ago and found them to be very similar to some of the softer trustones. you probably got a couple of sample finishes in your package, use them, they work! Their instructions were very complete and accurate to my experience with the product.

RAdams

Banned
There was no sample finish. The blank was part of a materials swap i did. I think it was a weird mistake that i ended up with it, so i definately want to do it justice. I have JUST the application for such a blank... A little project that has been in the back of my mind for some time now. Look for pics very soon!

RAdams

Banned
WOOHOO! I started on this project since this last post. I have it turned round, drilled, and the tube is glued in. I will true it up and turn it tomorrow. I have some Mother's metal polish somewhere, Now just to find it by tomorrow! The project I am making was inspired by some pieces I have seen here. I think it will be pretty slick!

The tips helped alot with working this material. It is a very unique material for sure. Looks so much like an actual hunk of metal. Amazing. Just flat amazing. I saved all the "shavings" in a bag. I plan to collect all i can and try to recast them and see what happens. I know it won't look nothing like the actual blank, but it might be interesting. Not to mention it seems a waste to not at least try something with the waste from such an expensive and cool material.

epson

The first blank I tried, I drilled too fast and the blank blew out. After calling, they immediately sent me a free replacement. After drilling slower, I have made several beautiful pens that sold quick. I did not even get a chance to take a picture.

RAdams

Banned
This one is up in the SOYP forum. It is titled "Tactical? pen!"

It won't be getting sold. I think it has found a permanent home in my collection. The fit is terrible, and the finish isn't the greatest, but i really like it. The more i mess with it, the more i like it. I can't wait to refine the design and order some M3 blanks myself!

Top Bottom