Thoughts on different stabilizing processes?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hi all,

I just wanted to ask your thoughts on the following stabilizing processes:

1. Run vacuum pump for 2 hours, hold vacuum for a length of time and bring to atmosphere allowing blanks to soak, repeat till bubbles stop.
  2. Run vacuum pump for 2 hours, hold vacuum, repeat till bubbles stop, allow to soak
1596059173503.png

I am just curious if one method has any merit over the other, I feel like the process is potentially faster with option 1 but i'm not sure if this method will prevent me from removing enough air out of the blank.

If I use option 1 and repeat the first steps, am I just going to be pulling vacuum to the same level and not get any better after my first soak?

Thanks for any thoughts,
Liam

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dehn0045

Run the vacuum pump until bubbles stop, break vacuum and soak (at least overnight, up to several days). Pulling vacuum again will negate the soak. @MesquiteMan has done pretty extensive testing of various elements of the process, if my memory serves me correctly this simple process is what he recommends. I also believe he tested "holding vacuum" and found no value. I'd recommend you look up his testing studies before repeating what he has already done. If you find that you have bubbles for a very long period of time it's likely that the wood is still wet and you are actually removing moisture, not air. Soaking in a pressure chamber may have some value, but probably not worth the extra effort IMHO.

1080Wayne

Would add that moisture may not be the only reason for bubbles continuing to emerge for a long time . Some woods have volatile organics which will come off as gases under intense vacuum . Pine and spruce cones will bubble for a very long time . I usually give up after running the pump continuously for 36 hours or so . Results are still adequate for what I do .

Dieseldoc

My experience with stabilizing is to pull vac and hold vac as long bubbles keep popping up. On my vac pot it will hold vac24 hours without pump on. Then I release vac and let them soak for over night, pull vac and most of the times bubbles are gone. If they still bubble repeat cycle again.
Like Tom said redwood burl takes much longer time.

howsitwork

Th ask for those comments guys as I haven't been allowing a long soak usually just a few hours after 2 days under vaccum . I will give it longer next time.

Top Bottom