Things to do in Phoenix.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodmarc

Howdy gang,
Got sent to Phoenix for business and may have a little down time. Any one know a good wood store in the area? Looking for some woods native to the region.

I thought paying a visit to BB in Yuma, but that's a bit of drive.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jclark58

Marc, You have 5 choices:

Rockler in North Phoenix (44th & Bell)
Woodcraft in Chandler (Arizona Ave & Elliot)
Woodworkers Source in Chandler (Kyrene & Elliot)
Woodworkers Source in North Phoenix (I-17 & Bell)
Chandler Hardwoods in Chandler (Arizona Ave & Queen Creek)

Feel free to contact me with any questions.
Jason

vick

Their is also a place in Mesa caled Timber Machinery. To be honest none of them are all that exciteing but all are good places to kill a little time.

Tanner

You have to go see Anthony in Carefree, AZ. http://www.turchetta.com/penworks/ His store and pens are amazing. It's just north of Phoenix. The Rockler in North Phoenix has some nice inventory. Woodcraft is OK. I have not been to the Woodworkers Source in Chandler. The one just off I-17 is Ok, not a lot of inventory, but it does change. I have not been to the Chandler Hardwoods store. I live in Anthem so I've been to Anthonys' PenWorks store and it is a must.

airrat

I am not a fan of woodworkers source. Will not buy wood from them anymore due to their policy of rounding up in measurement and charging for "air". You can find smaller pieces of wood here that can be cut into pen blanks. I would take a tape measure with you and MAKE sure they dont overcharge you.

Anthony's is a good place to go to view pens. He has ALOT of different styles and is generally a nice guy to talk to. [:D] Plus the drive there is very nice if you have never seen the desert in the "off summer" season.

Chandler Hardwoods was sold a little over a year ago. The new owners have raised prices but you can still find some stuff in there. They just purchased a warehouse and mill up in Oregon and are working on shipping wood here. The previous owner is "suppose" to be sending wood from somewhere (location escapes me) in the SE of USA but I have not seen any yet. It is between McQueen and Cooper on Queen Creek road. I visit it too frequently due to Parents live down the street.

Place in Mesa,Timber Woodworking Machinery, is on Southern between Mesa Dr and Stapley, south side of road. I found some real nice mesquite there but just didnt want to buy the whole board.

Hope this little review helps.

If you want my number to contact me shoot me an email.

dubdrvrkev

There are a few of us that may have a little local mesquite that we could part with. (shoot me an email) That is what is plentiful and they come down a lot in storms. But you may want to try to find some Palo Verde, Sumac, Acacia, or DI.

If you have some time to kill you may want to take a trip to South Mountain Park for a short hike, easy hikes and great time of year to get out.

PenWorks

Originally posted by airrat
<br />
Anthony's is a good place to go to view pens. He has ALOT of different styles and is generally a nice guy to talk to. [:D]

Generally, but not always, most of the time, but only on good days, and if it is a golf day, then it depends on my score [:D]

woodworkers Source in N Phx, is not bad, but you have to go in the back and dig through the crates to find the goods. They don't put to much turning wood out, but have alot more in the back. Rockler has some nice cocobolo & tulip wood squares, but that is about it.

If you take the trip north to stop by, always good to call first.
The number is on my website.

Hi Marc,

When are you going to Phoenix? I will be there twice in January for work, the 16-19th and 28-31st.
A trip to see Anthony would be first on my list. I went to the stores mentioned and you have a Rockler in Buffalo that is a better store I am afraid.

vick

Yeah I second Kevin's, if you want soem mesquite pen blanks let me know. You would not believe it but that stuff grows on trees out here.

PenWorks

Originally posted by vick
<br />Yeah I second Kevin's, if you want soem mesquite pen blanks let me know. You would not believe it but that stuff grows on trees out here.

Hey if you guys have that much extra mesquite burl down there, you can always send it north to my way [:D]

Jim, I will not be at the store on your first trip, I will be doing the Barrett-Jackson auction 1/14 - 1/21, maybe you can catch me on your secound pass.

vick

I did not say I did not have any burl just that I was not giving it away[}:)].
I may have to go shopping at Jason's house this weekend I am almost out of bowl blanks.

jclark58

My SIL is in town this weekend so i'll be spending as much time outside of the house as possible. It wouldn't take much to convince me to make a run out to Gilbert.

Jason

woodmarc

Thanks for all the great idea's. Didn't get the time I had hoped.
I got stuck moving one of our branch offices. Things didn't go very well. Had problems with a little phone company called Qwest. What a PIA.
I was really looking forward to dropping in and seeing Anthony. I have admired his work.
I was also looking forward to meeting another pen turner. Not too many of us in the Buffalo area. Maybe next time. Maybe out here later in the year.

Again, Thanks guys. Maybe next time I'll get some advance notice and set up a meet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom