The well informed customer

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryr

I got an email from a woman today saying she had sent me an email more than 2 months ago and hadn't gotten a response. She had her phone number on the email so I called her and told her that I never got the email and maybe it was because I was changing email services. She said that was fine and that she was interested in a Snakewood sketch pencil as an anniversary present for her husband. But she also wanted some kind a "spirally" design in it with darker wood. Then she said she and her husband had seen my work at a show which was less than 2 months ago and got my card there. I didn't even had a Snakewood pen at that show. Turns out she had no clue what Snakewood looks like. Then she said her husband liked the fountain pen I had that was made from gray stone. I told her that unfortunately I've never made anything from gray stone. I asked her if what her husband liked was actually snakeskin and she maybe that was it, but she still wasn't sure. I asked if her husband was an artist or woodworker and she said no, but he likes pencils. She finally said she would look at what's on my site and let me know. I sort of vaguely remember a guy at that show who seemed really interested in my pens and whose wife was totally disinterested.

At this point I'm not sure I expect to hear from her and I'm not sure I really want to, unless she has a much clearer idea of what it is that she wants.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

Originally posted by gerryr
<br /> I sort of vaguely remember a guy at that show who seemed really interested in my pens and whose wife was totally disinterested.

You're doing better than me. I can't remember the first thing about customers from shows.

Don't be so fast in giving up hope. I recently responded to an email that said "Hi! How are you?" I normally would never respond to an email like that from someone I don't know, but I checked out the website in the signature line and sent a reply. To make a long story short, I ended up selling the lady two Baron FPs. So, you never can tell where that contact will lead.

mick

Gerry, one thing I do at shows, if a potential customer shows any interest in a pen, I write a description of the pen(pen type, material, plating)on my card and make sure they take it with them. I've gotta calls several months later from a spouse telling me that their wife or husband gave them this card and they want to know what a Flat top American rollerball in Amboyna Burl is?.......lol. I've had several orders placed that way. Reckon I helped them out of a tight spot because of a forgotten birthday or anniversary? Anyway always write it down ...sooner or later they call!!

gerryr

Dario,
I was the only person selling pens at that show, unless she was thinking of some other show that I wasn't even at. LOL

Mick,
Good idea. I'll remember that especially since I have a show coming up in early November.

tnilmerl

But a customer is a customer, no matter how -wrong- they are! I abhor the customer that knows *exactly* what they want, and specs it out for you (wood, grain, finish, style, etc.), then when you deliver balks because that is not what they &gt;WANTED&lt;. Can't win on that one.

gerryr

Well, I did actually hear back from her. She said she wanted a Jr. Gents rollerball made from "light" wood with a single cross glue-up in the cap made from "dark" wood. After a couple more email exchanges, she agreed on the price and decided on curly Maple as the "light" wood and it leaving the "dark" wood up to me. I'll probably use Bloodwood or African Blackwood or maybe even DIW. She doesn't have a PayPal account so I have to call her this morning and get a credit card number for the deposit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom