The Pastor's Hickory Tree

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Mortalis

Mortalis

A few months ago, our area experienced a few storms that had Hurricane strength winds come through. I know we are not the only ones to experience this, this year but it prefaces the story.
During the last high wind storm, the Pastor of a local church that lives down the street from me had a Hickory tree that was compromised and had to be cut down. I noticed the wood logs laying in his side yard and inquired as to what he was going to do with it all. These logs varied in diameter from 24" x 8', 14" x 5' and smaller/longer. He mentioned that the larger log was claimed by the guy that cut the tree down but the others he didnt have any plans for. I was given permission to take the 14" x 5' log.
Long story short, I cut the log up and Anchorsealed the end grain and stored it all in the shop. I took one blank and roughed it out for a bowl green, stored it for a couple months in its shavings in a plastic bag. I took the blank and threw in my stabilizing oven and dried it out and finished turning it. When it was all done and food safe finished I presented it to the Pastor and his wife. they were amazed, very surprised and his wife told me she was saying they should have had something done with the tree as a memento. When I handed the finished bowl to them they were teary eyed.
Attached is the journey of the bowl from log to finish.

Attachments

• Hickory log 13inch2.jpg
    Hickory log 13inch2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 183
  • Hickory log 42inch.jpg
    Hickory log 42inch.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 163
  • Hickory 12in 2.jpg
    Hickory 12in 2.jpg
    402.1 KB · Views: 173
  • Hickory 12in 4.jpg
    Hickory 12in 4.jpg
    327.9 KB · Views: 146
  • Hickory 12in 5.jpg
    Hickory 12in 5.jpg
    505.9 KB · Views: 180
  • Signed bowl 2.jpg
    Signed bowl 2.jpg
    461.8 KB · Views: 150
  • Signed bowl 1.jpg
    Signed bowl 1.jpg
    400.2 KB · Views: 162
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Well done! On several things.
Hickory is an interesting wood. Very dense (heavy). I've turned just a little bit of it and I love the way it finished.
You did good. šŸ˜‡

robutacion

That was one of the things that I took most seriously when cutting mostly yard trees by not only, some trees have great significance to some people and when the tree has come down for whatever reason, I always would make sure I would turn something (mostly bowls by not only) and presented it to those people, it didn't need to be a big "thing"/item I have simple pens doing the job so, well done mate on both accounts.

Cheers
George

Mortalis

That was one of the things that I took most seriously when cutting mostly yard trees by not only, some trees have great significance to some people and when the tree has come down for whatever reason, I always would make sure I would turn something (mostly bowls by not only) and presented it to those people, it didn't need to be a big "thing"/item I have simple pens doing the job so, well done mate on both accounts.

Cheers
George
Thanks George.
I did also make a comfort pen for the Pastor. He said, "so cool!" I thought it was cute, actually.

Top Bottom