The official MY BASH STUFF!! thread

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rholiday

Here are the Brooks Blanks I received from the Russ Fairfield Memorial Modified Slimline Contest.
They are beautiful!
Thanks Jonathon!!!!

Attachments

• Blanks-DSC190-web.jpg
    Blanks-DSC190-web.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 249
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mlconnelly

Here are our winnings from the BASH. I say "our" winnings because I am only responsible for half of them. The first picture is of my winnings from The Classic Nib for successfully guessing two of the items in the Wood Identification Contest. Thanks again to The Classic Nib for sponsoring this fun contest. The second picture is of my wife's winnings for her contribution to The Edible Pen contest. I have already sampled some of the chocolate and it is great. I will try to post some finished pen pictures after I get some turning time in the shop. I had a great time during the BASH. Thanks again to all the contributors.

Attachments

• classic nib winnings.jpg
    classic nib winnings.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 251
  • edible pen winnings.jpg
    edible pen winnings.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 274

stonepecker

I didn't win anything.
But I was high bidder on two different 'cup' auctions and also the Team 5 pen.
I also managed to buy one of the pens made in the under 14 contest.
I also recieved a pen for my collection from a member who will remain unknow.
Last, I found a very good buy on a couple of Rick's tool rests.......they are great looking. I also got a great buy on blanks by doing a little shopping.

Now I got to start saving for the next auctions. Thanks to all who made the BASH the great time it is.

Brian G

Bear Tooth Woods also donated a Baron, bushings, and blank that I won as part of 2nd place in the Shop Life Photo contest. Thank you, Bear Tooth Woods.

BearToothBaron.jpg

George's Bits of Timber (robutacion) donated a $50 gift certificate, which I used as part of an order of a "Surprise Package." I'll share pictures of that when it arrives. Thank you, George.

Sylvanite

My Loot

I was very fortunate in the Birthday Bash this year. I didn't think I could do better than last year, but I got very lucky.

I managed to win the Wood Id Contest twice, and used the gift certificate(s) to TheClassicNib to buy fountain pen feeds and a matching tap. I'm planning to use them to start making my own grip sections. Thanks Roy and Diane!

attachment.php

I took first in the Shop Life Photo Contest, for which I received an Easy Pen Turner tool from Craft Supplies USA and a $25.00 gift certificate from Woodturningz. Here is a pic of the tool - I haven't decided what to order from Woodturningz yet. Thanks to these two vendors as well.

attachment.php

For second place in the Pen Marketing Photo contest, I won honeycomb blanks from Healeydays and a sanding mill from rherrell. I already have a sanding mill, so Rick was kind enough to offer me a pin chuck instead. Here is a picture of the blanks. I'll post a pic of the pin chuck when it arrives. Thanks Mike and Rick!

attachment.php

For third place in the No Rules Photo Contest, I got glue from Satellite City and a box of blanks from Southernclay. Thank you Satellite City and Warren!

attachment.php

For first in the Mug Shot Contest, I won an Easy Wood Turning Tool and blanks from GoodTurns. I haven't received the tool yet, but I presume it's the same as the one above. Here is a pic of the blanks. Thanks EasyWoodTools and Jon!

attachment.php

For second place in the Color Casting Contest, I won another Easy Wood Turning Tool (also not pictured). I just can't seem to get enough of these things lol. Thanks again EasyWoodTools.

For second place in the Russ Fairfield Memorial Modified Slimline Contest, I won a box of blanks from Brooks803. Thanks Jonathon!

attachment.php

And finally, for winning the Modified Pen Contest, I get a sterling silver rollerball pen kit from Silver Pen Parts (mredburn). Thank you very much Mike! I'll post a pic when it arrives.

Oh, yeah, and I made myself this too:

attachment.php

Thanks again to those who helped organize the Birthday Bash, all the great folks who donated prizes, and to everyone who participated. It was great fun!

Regards,
Eric

Attachments

• ClassicNib.jpg
    ClassicNib.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 428
  • EasyWoodTool.jpg
    EasyWoodTool.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 499
  • HealeyDays.jpg
    HealeyDays.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 399
  • SouthernClay.jpg
    SouthernClay.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 434
  • GoodTurns.jpg
    GoodTurns.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 418
  • Brooks803.jpg
    Brooks803.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 436
  • Plaque.jpg
    Plaque.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 382
Last edited:

Tage

Here are the blanks my son won for 2nd place in the Youth Beautiful Pen Contest 14 - 16:

9a0518df-42e9-4b34-b800-b3af11758abf.jpg.html

9a0518df-42e9-4b34-b800-b3af11758abf.jpg.html
1_9a0518df-42e9-4b34-b800-b3af11758abf.jpg

Many thanks to Ed DePietro aka Edicehouse for the blanks. False advertising on Ed's part, though.....this is way MORE than the promised $70 worth of blanks! Thanks Ed. Will post pics when he turns one. The first one will go to Pens for Service Members.

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Watch Parts Blank from Indiana_Parrothead

One of my prizes for coming in 2nd in the Creative Mug Contest was a Watch Parts blank from Mike Hirsch (Indiana_Parrothead).

Here's what I got in the mail today:
An awesome University of Houston dial face & colors in a Triton barrel set. I am so anxious to see how this will turn out I can hardly stand it - but it will be at least a couple of weeks before I'll be able to do that.

This will be my first attempt at turning an epoxy casting, so Mike threw in a Sierra carbon fiber blank for me to practice on before tackling the UH pen.

To keep the epoxy blanks from rattling around in the box, Mike used 6 beautiful wood blanks for filler.

This prize was listed at $25 but it is easily worth at least $100.

I really enjoyed chatting with Mike about this project during the last few weeks. He was extremely patient with me, answering all my questions, and being overly generous with his time and his donation. He went way above & beyond his donation commitment to create the perfect watch parts blank for me.

Thanks Mike!!! :RockOn::RockOn:
You Rock!

Edgar

Attachments

• BlanksFromMike.jpg
    BlanksFromMike.jpg
    433 KB · Views: 264
One of my prizes for coming in 2nd in the Creative Mug Contest was a Watch Parts blank from Mike Hirsch (Indiana_Parrothead).

Here's what I got in the mail today:
An awesome University of Houston dial face & colors in a Triton barrel set. I am so anxious to see how this will turn out I can hardly stand it - but it will be at least a couple of weeks before I'll be able to do that.

This will be my first attempt at turning an epoxy casting, so Mike threw in a Sierra carbon fiber blank for me to practice on before tackling the UH pen.

To keep the epoxy blanks from rattling around in the box, Mike used 6 beautiful wood blanks for filler.

This prize was listed at $25 but it is easily worth at least $100.

I really enjoyed chatting with Mike about this project during the last few weeks. He was extremely patient with me, answering all my questions, and being overly generous with his time and his donation. He went way above & beyond his donation commitment to create the perfect watch parts blank for me.

Thanks Mike!!! :RockOn::RockOn:
You Rock!

Edgar

Thanks for the compliments Edgar I hope you enjoy the blanks.

Mike

bmac

My prize from the bash

This is my prize from this years bash. Thanks to Jeff and all of the people who donated prizes and especially to Klingspor who donated my prize.

Attachments

• sandpaper.jpg
    sandpaper.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 248

Sylvanite

Additional Loot

When Rick Herrell (rherrell) offered to make me a pin chuck instead of a sanding mill, I thought he was just going to make one (and I was happy with that) - but instead he sent me a complete JrGent II set. Wow! Thanks so much Rick!

attachment.php

Also, I forgot to attach a photo of the Satellite City glue kit in my previous post:

attachment.php

Attachments

• PinChucks.jpg
    PinChucks.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 424
  • SatelliteCity.jpg
    SatelliteCity.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 426

Sylvanite

Yet More Loot

For the Modified Pen Contest, Mike Redburn (mredburn) sent me a fantastic sterling silver rollerball pen kit, custom made for the IAP 10th Anniversary. Here is a snapshot of the silver parts (the kit also came with tubes, refill, and bushings - not pictured):

attachment.php

I also received another Easy Pen Turner tool from Easy Wood Tools. I should note that these two tools are the ones from EWT (for the Mug Shot and Color Casting Contests), not from CSUSA (for the Shop Life Photo Contest). That one hasn't arrived yet.

attachment.php

Thanks again Mike at SilverPenParts.com and Alan at EasyWoodTools.com.

Attachments

• SilverPenKit.jpg
    SilverPenKit.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 399

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
I posted elsewhere so here it is again:
I hired this old fat guy to model my new wardrobe that was won in the contest. I tried to get the neighbor's wife to do the modeling but my wife said no. Thanks to Timberbits and all involved. I'm sure it was alot of work and is much appreciated.
WB
Bill

Attachments

• award.jpg
    award.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 228
  • awards.jpg
    awards.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 242

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Another rherrell tool post

I was lucky to win two flat-top Rick Herrell tool posts this year. I already posted the 3.5" one that I won in a Trivia Contest - this one is a 5" model for two-barrel turning that I got for placing 2nd in the Creative Mug Contest.

While Rick & I were discussing this one, I also ordered a couple of locking collars and dedicated DI post.

I now have 2 RH tool posts, 2 pin chucks, 2 locking collars, an offset drilling jig and a DI post. Awesome tools!

Thanks for your donations & support Rick,
Edgar

Attachments

• IMG_4331.jpg
    IMG_4331.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 199

toddlajoie

Well, all I really got out of the BASH (other than a month of fun, games, inspiration, and friendship) was a couple of e-mails with some gibberish combinations of letters and numbers. A couple of our fantastic vendors offered to trade the gibberish text for some of their merchandise!!!

R & B Crafts was kind enough to trade my text for a Woodchuck Pen Tool, so now I need to get a handle on (no pun intended, I got the one with the handle...) using carbide cutters!!! They squeezed in a few of my favorite Truestone blanks (Mexican Agate) for me to practice on.

Berea Hardwoods also offered a trade for my jumbled letters for some of their merchandise. Despite the name, very little of what I bought from them was wood. I did manage to grab 2 VERY nice Black Ash Burl pen blanks (one of my favorites!!) but I also got a very nice selection of Rhino-Plastic blanks, as I have heard people complain about them, and I have a bit of a masochistic tendency when it comes to pen materials... Of course what order from Berea would be complete without a few pen kits to put all this stuff on, so they threw in 5 Atrax RBs and 5 Gunmetal Cigars...

Didn't get an individual photo of each stash, so here's one of the whole lot, The Pen in the middle is my newest personal pen, made with the Mexican Agate and the Woodchuck...

attachment.php

While playing with the Woodchuck on the Truestoen, I figured I would see how thin I could get the overhang from the barrel trimming (it was a pretty deep overhand) and managed to get it down to probably .005" THIN before it came off as a nice little ring. I took a shot of it before that, so here is what it looked like a bit before it came off. It measured .010" at this point, and I got 3 or 4 more light passes on it after this before it came off...

attachment.php

I'm also sitting here typing this and every once in a while I have to stop and enjoy my morning coffee from my favorite BASH 10 acqusition, Little Red, the 8th anniversary mug I won at auction!!! This was the first Bash that I had really been involved in, so since I was about 90 minutes late from when Jeff posted this years mugs and all the Beer Steins were already gone ( :at-wits-end:, no:bananen_smilies046:for me...) This was the next best thing!!!
attachment.php

I had a BASH Blast this year, for all the work and headaches, it really is worth it for me, and I will say that I have it EASY with the photo contests. The guys that run the daily contest have an enormous amount of work to do EVERY DAY, the logistics of which I cannot fathom. Ed's auctioneering is top rate and another HUGE amount of time and effort put in nearly every day!!! Keeping everyone focused on the contests and posting daily reminders for people to join them (and the VERY RARE occasional entry poaching:rolleyes:..) is handled most obsessively by the many contest chairs!! And all that is just the "storefront" work!! The pre-planning, sponsor contact, and organizing that starts well before January by the Senior Staff (I'm not going to name names, as I'm sure I'll miss someone!!!) and the prize distribution and cleanup that goes on well into March (but hopefully not April!!!) is simply staggering when you find out all that goes into this one-month blowout.

Attachments

• Bash Stuff.JPG
    Bash Stuff.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 274
  • Thin.JPG
    Thin.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 263
  • Little Red.JPG
    Little Red.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 256
Top Bottom